Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Jura S7 not working properly
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura S7 not...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
stockjock

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jul 24, 2013, 9:42am
Subject: Jura S7 not working properly

I own a Jura Capresso S7, which has successfully pulled over 3,500 shots over the years.  I rarely use the steam function and hadn't used it in some time.  Tried it the other day and it worked fine.

However, when I tried to later make coffee, it failed.  Instead, it shot water through the steam wand and now that's pretty much all that occurs.  The puck comes out mostly or entirely dry and is dumped into the bin.

Jura said it sounds like a stuck solenoid valve and they suggested that I try to alternate between steam and the water spout to unstick it, but no luck so far.

The options they're giving me are either to repair it for $450, or to replace with another unit for a reduced price (but still more money).  One of the units is the J6 refurbished for $700 but most of the rest of them are more money that I want to spend.

So the questions:

1. Any thoughts as to how to "unstick" the valve, or fix whatever the problem is, short of sending it to Jura?

2. Is the J6 worth considering at $700?  I sense that the S7 is a better machine, no?

Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 4:47am
Subject: Re: Jura S7 not working properly

Run some descaler through it to see if the solenoid valve unsticks.  If water is coming out the steamer it is stuck open, not closed, so it's not electrically failed. It certainly can't hurt to run the descale cycle.
The $450 sounds rather expensive. Even if that's going to include rebuilding of wear and tear parts, an hour's labour, assorted common parts and a solenoid valve should be $95, $55 and $75 even at high-end placed.
I believe that Jura Canada's service department has fixed rates for different models of machines.  The commercial machine flat rate is less than $300. An S-Series should be less than $250.
stockjock

Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 9:47am

FWIW, I fixed it.  What I did was alternate between steam and the water spout aka "tea portion".  When I saw a tiny bit of water just barely start to drip out, I gave it a couple of hard whacks to the right side of the unit and it started working fine.

Jura said not to hit it, but I think that's what did the most good.
DanoM

Espresso: Bezzera Strega, '84 La...
Grinder: Compak K10, Kludge grinder,...
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 10:20am

stockjock Said:

Jura said not to hit it, but I think that's what did the most good.

Posted July 25, 2013 link

That's the $450 trick!
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Jul 25, 2013, 7:36pm

Juras can produce God Shots.  You just have to hit them once, then threaten when they forget.

I am editing this after reading the 1 line response I had originally posted.
The above sounds like a "Spousal Abuse" joke. It was not intended to read that way. It was just a Superautomatic jab. Sorry.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Jura S7 not...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.336077928543)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+