Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Ready to step up! Oscar vs Butterfly vs Mini Vivaldi II: Butterfly is home
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ready to step...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
perceval
perceval
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Saeco Barista, La Scala...
Grinder: Solis, Feima
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 12:50am
Subject: Re: Ready to step up! Oscar vs Butterfly vs Mini Vivaldi II: Butterfly is home

Well,

It's been hard.  I wonder if it is my grinder of the new beans That I just got, but I can't find a setting to make a great espresso yet.  I have confidence that the Butterfly is a great machine.  I have less confidence in my grinder.

The grinder is a Mazzer Super Jolly taiwanese copy called the Feima 908N.  I was assured it was an exact copy... but as I am having so much problem with it, I am starting to wonder...  There's a lot of grind left in the chute... From net reading, I think I see it is a problem with MSJs.  I've been all over the grind dial and still can't find a good grind.  It also clumps quite a bit when it starts to get stuck in the chute.  Cleaning it results in initial nice flow, then clumps again.

I know I still have to keep at it.  But I have this beautiful italian in my kitchen and it needs a a better combination of grinder or operator, maybe!  :)
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 6:05am
Subject: Re: Ready to step up! Oscar vs Butterfly vs Mini Vivaldi II: Butterfly is home

No offense but a Super Jolly costs 1100 U.S. dollars for a real one,the knock of your mentioning costs 8000 Taiwanese dollars which is the U.S. equivalent of 272 dollars.
I am not a grinder expert but from my past experience things made in China and Taiwan as a general rule arent made there so they can improve on design.

perceval Said:

Well,

It's been hard.  I wonder if it is my grinder of the new beans That I just got, but I can't find a setting to make a great espresso yet.  I have confidence that the Butterfly is a great machine.  I have less confidence in my grinder.

The grinder is a Mazzer Super Jolly taiwanese copy called the Feima 908N.  I was assured it was an exact copy... but as I am having so much problem with it, I am starting to wonder...  There's a lot of grind left in the chute... From net reading, I think I see it is a problem with MSJs.  I've been all over the grind dial and still can't find a good grind.  It also clumps quite a bit when it starts to get stuck in the chute.  Cleaning it results in initial nice flow, then clumps again.

I know I still have to keep at it.  But I have this beautiful italian in my kitchen and it needs a a better combination of grinder or operator, maybe!  :)

Posted October 30, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:49am

I'm looking at pictures of your grinder and it is NOT an exact copy of the Super Jolly. The SJ is much thicker and has more solid-looking tooling. Even so, it looks like it uses the same-sized burrset. Assuming your grinder is functionally the same as a Super Jolly, the Mazzer grinders are still tricky to dial in. This is why my vintage restored Super Jolly sits unused, pristine, and collecting dust next to my little Baratza Forte. Also, yes, the Super Jolly clumps quite a lot. Does yours have a doser?
perceval
perceval

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:53pm

Mine is a doserless, which had a basic chute installed.  Found that a lot of grind made their way between the grinder and the plate of the chute, so I replaced it with a funnel like in this picture (minus the electronics).

perceval: w_03-01-900N_tq-380x380.jpg
(Click for larger image)
perceval
perceval

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 10:55pm

Here are the specs for the 908N:

perceval: Screen Shot 2013-10-31 at 1.51.53 PM.png
(Click for larger image)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 6:19am

Grinder makes all the difference, can you return it and get something better?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
perceval
perceval

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 7:48am

Coffeenoobie Said:

Grinder makes all the difference, can you return it and get something better?

Posted October 31, 2013 link

Wish I could.
Can't return it... In Taiwan,  if it is out of the box / bag, it is considered used and non-returnable...  If there is a demo, it is plastic-wrapped and I can't touch it... yet alone turn it on.  I also have to argue for 30 minutes to return a wine that turned to vinegar...

And, nothing better around here is available.  I have seen some rusty 15-year-old Macap trying to sell for $700... because it's "vintage".  And shipping one of those things from the USA is kinda prohibitive!

I was hoping it would be like my audio system.  Usher speakers are made in Taiwan and are superb.  I'd hoped that it would be the same with this grinder... but, since many have problems with the original MSJ, maybe they copied it just too well!  :)
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 11:52am

While I'm still hesitant about the quality of the grinder itself, it looks like "Feima" tried to clone the electronic doser as well! I'd love to see where I could get one and how much it would cost.
perceval
perceval

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 7:06pm

The Feima 901N TQ (electronic doser version) is just a little over US$500 here, for your information.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Thu Oct 31, 2013, 11:46pm

Do you think I could just buy the doser assembly itself? Man, that'd be cool to try out on my SJ and make me more apt to use it.
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Ready to step...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.384547948837)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+