Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 113 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
cuznvin

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldi II
Grinder: MACAP M4 Stepless /Baratza...
Drip: YouBrew
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 6:28pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

ECM Said:

Nlo seriously I do appreciate it.  I just couldn't help myself.... I'm from Newfoundland .... I guess that explains my wierd sense of humour.

Posted September 4, 2013 link

im from ny and i thought the same exact thing!! you beat me to it!!
 View Profile Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 6:32pm

Well there goes my free time for tonight...

CarloM: box1.JPG
(Click for larger image)
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 6:35pm

CarloM Said:

Well there goes my free time for tonight...

You poor thing!
bekeld
bekeld

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Macap 4; Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Aeropress; Sowdon SoftBrew
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 7:30pm

Mine came today also. No 4 hole tip, dry bag... But boilers must have been mostly full as it didn't take a lot of water to fill them. Too late for coffee tonight :(

bekeld: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
cuznvin

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 7:36pm

bekeld Said:

Mine came today also. No 4 hole tip, dry bag... But boilers must have been mostly full as it didn't take a lot of water to fill them. Too late for coffee tonight :(

strange that the boilers would be full when it would be pretty easy to drain both boilers before shipping...
bekeld
bekeld

Espresso: Quick Mill Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Macap 4; Baratza Virtuoso
Drip: Aeropress; Sowdon SoftBrew
Roaster: Behmor
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 8:14pm

Dunno--all I know is that I filled the tank and it only went down 1/3 before stopping. Documentation said that filling could take up to 2 tanks.

Both double and single portafilters are the heavy ones with a chrome circle on Chris Coffee's site. I really, really like the feel of these.
cuznvin

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 8:17pm

bekeld Said:

Dunno--all I know is that I filled the tank and it only went down 1/3 before stopping. Documentation said that filling could take up to 2 tanks.

Both double and single portafilters are the heavy chrome ended ones that DaveUK recommended. I really, really like the feel of these.

well at least they filled and water didnt cover your countertop and floor with water like it did when i filled my mini the first time. that was due to a free floating nut and unconnected pipe.
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 8:28pm

bekeld Said:

Both double and single portafilters are the heavy ones with a chrome circle on Chris Coffee's site. I really, really like the feel of these.

My first fill didn't take much either.
CarloM

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 8:42pm

My first fill didn't take long, nor has each subsequent fill. My bag was dry but mine has been on the road for a week and it's been very hot in So Cal so that may be why.

There is an intermittent buzzing when I pull water through the brew group. I can hear how silent the rotary is most of the time, but then there's intermittent buzzing/vibration. It comes and goes. At some point in the future I'll probably open her up and see what may be the cause of it, but not just yet.

I'm on my sixth flush per DavecUK's recommended instructions. Will probably do it more than that, maybe seven or more times. There's definitely a smell that comes out of the steam wand when I draw steam. Kind of a citrus-y smell. It's definitely less now than it was when I first drew steam, but it's still definitely there. Not sure how many more of these I'll do but I'd like the smell to be mostly gone before I make my first drink.
CarloM

Posted Thu Sep 5, 2013, 8:19am

So I've made four lattes last night after fully flushing out the system ten times and dialing in my grind (sorry DavecUK, I didn't have the patience to get up to 15!). This morning I've made a mocha. The biggest change for me so far is my workflow. With my Silvia I had it all worked out since I had to wait a minute between brew and steam, that I'd wipe down the Silvia from the channeling (no matter how much I WDT'd), go to the fridge, get the milk, pour it into the pitcher, and by the time I walked back, the Silvia was ready to steam.

Now I have to have everything ready to go because I turn on the steamer the second I turn off the brew. I could probably do it simultaneously but to be honest I'm so focused on each new step I can't multitask quite yet. But despite not being in 20A mode, the power behind the V2B, coupled with proper heat-up time, gives me confidence that I can brew and steam simultaneously if needed.

The latte I made for myself last night was good - on par with the best I'd made with the Silvia, and that was my first drink ever off of the V2B. After making three others for friends and getting my workflow down, I can say the mocha I made this morning absolutely blows away anything I've made on the Silvia. Same bean, roughly the same grind as the Silvia (a notch finer on my Mini-E), same bottomless portafilter, same chocolate (TCHO). But for whatever reason, the way the espresso is extracted from the V2B is much more similar to the viscousy ones I've seen in places like Intelligentsia, Tomo and Luxxe than anything I could pull from the Silvia. I won't say I've got a god shot, but I'm consistently pulling very good ones, and this is on my fifth shot from the V2B.

A few observations/comments/questions:
  • Channeling is greatly reduced. Not completely eliminated, but about 90% less than on the Silvia using the same bean and nearly the same grind, with WDT. Did one shot without WDT and it had a slight bit more channeling but nowhere near what the Silvia did.
  • Still learning how to get good microfoam on the 2-hole tip. I know this is user-error though, because when I was flushing the system last night, I was shooting steam into a glass pyrex cup and there would be very little moisture even after shooting steam for 25 seconds!
  • Rotary pump is quiet. Not as near silent as the best professional machines but definitely much closer to that sound than the vibe from my Silvia. Also that mechanical vibration didn't show itself this morning. Maybe the machine is settling in?
  • LED lights will stay off when I'm using it alone, go on when others are here. I don't care for them but the three people I hosted last night ooh'd and aah'd when I showed them the machine, but then lost their minds when I turned on the LEDs and insisted I keep them on.
  • Polished stainless steel seems to be high quality and cleans up easily. Seems to be somewhat spot-resistant. If you've had cheaper stainless steel things, you know what I mean by this. A quick microfiber cloth wipe and it looks like I just unboxed it.
  • Really easy to remove screen and gasket. I bought the precision screen and installed it but I admit I did not do an A/B. It may be fool's gold, but I went with the screen after I saw the improvement with the VST basket over the one that came with my Rancilio portafilter (which I did A/B). I figured at worst it's a wash, at best it's an improvement. I'll probably be looking to buy the gasket in bulk and replace often as DavecUK recommends. The procedure is super-easy.
  • Crystal Geyser really is what the Insanely Long Water FAQ says it is. Confirmed three separate bottles from 2 different stores, 3 grains of hardness according to the test strip. If they keep up their quality I may never use another source. Debating whether I still need to put in the in-line filter I bought from CCS? The manual says "Should your water’s hardness level exceed three grains, then it is strongly recommended that an in tank softener be used..." so that to me suggests if it's 3 grains or less I don't need to use it?
  • The time-savings was exactly how I had envisioned it. Last night I made three back-to-back lattes (I had mine before company came over) and the machine performed like a champ. Stable temp throughout (probably helped that it had been on for three hours due to the flushes). Made three drinks in just over five minutes, with the slowdown being due to me more than the machine (still working out my workflow). This would have taken 15 minutes on my Silvia even when I had the workflow down pat due to waiting for temp stability.
showing page 113 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.440724849701)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+