Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
pressure brewing bar remains 8 after pulling a shot
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > pressure brewing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
kimbo5

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 4:59am
Subject: pressure brewing bar remains 8 after pulling a shot

Goodmorning,

I wonder if its ok for the pressure brewing bar to remain at 8 even after you have finished pulling a shot. It does not go down until you make another coffee. I thought the pressure should go back to 0 once you finished brewing?

I have a cellini v2.

thx
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 7:44am
Subject: Re: pressure brewing bar remains 8 after pulling a shot

That seems odd to me.  My Duetto always drops to 0 when I stop close the brew lever.  I'm guessing your 3-way is not releasing the pressure like it should.  When did you clean your machine last?  Hopefully, all it needs is a good detergent backflush. I don't think descaling your machine will help - but I'm no expert in machine diagnostics. Otherwise, you probably will have to remove your 3-way for a thorough cleaning, or possibly even to replace it.

Just looked up your machine specs and diagrams (see Bella Barista for a thorough review).  So you have an expansion valve to release pressure to your drip tray, but that doesn't seem to be happening, right?  

It might also be important to know if you're plumbed in or operating in reservoir mode.

How old is your machine?

How long have you had it?

Is this a recent problem, you you've just decided to ask about it now?

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
kimbo5

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 9:33am

hi,

thanks for your input. i don't think it needs descaling as its a one week old machine and i also have reverse osmosis filters and water softener in the house. the firs days it was normal, the brew level was always going back to 0 after i close the lever. But the water is coming out of the 3 way normally, is just the pressure remains at 8.
have no idea why. the coffee is really good though, not bitter and perfect extraction.
Sigma

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 3:21pm

I have a Rocket R58 and it does the exact same thing. Backflushing with detergent did not change anything.

Contacted my retailer, apparently most Rockets do this and they said not to worry.

Posted on Reddit, and apparently others' Rockets do the same thing. A guy with a Brewtus posted saying his did it too.

If you slightly pull up on the lever, the pressure will release.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Tue Sep 3, 2013, 3:35pm

This happens because when the lever is returned to the down position, the brew valve is closed. All that pressure in the heat exchanger is trapped, it's fine.  If it was very high, like 11 bars or something, then I'd suggest that you adjust your relief valve, but you're fine.
You could play with it a little, lower the control lever slowly, the pump should shut off before the valve closes off, and then you'll notice that the pressure drops away as the water escapes through your puck.  Then stops dropping off as the handle gets low enough for the valve to close.
kimbo5

Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 5:34am

thanks. I did as suggested and it went down. it sucks though that in such an expansive machine this happens. I don't have trouble with the breville infuser at work. I found videos on you tube of all the Rockets, the brew pressure does the same thing.
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 7:50am

With E-61 machines the brew pressure gauge only will show useful information only during extraction. The gauge is connected to a closed loop (the HX circuit or the brew boiler circuit of DB machines) .  When the system is sealed (not brewing and the lever down) and is being heated, the pressure will rise.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 8:11am

Ok, now you're confusing me Randy. My Duetto brew pressure gauge reads 0, except when I'm either brewing or back flushing.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
SStones
SStones

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 8:47pm

kimbo5 Said:

thanks. I did as suggested and it went down. it sucks though that in such an expansive machine this happens. I don't have trouble with the breville infuser at work. I found videos on you tube of all the Rockets, the brew pressure does the same thing.

Posted September 4, 2013 link

I think you're misunderstanding something, or I'm misunderstanding you...  Why does it suck? The gauge is reading the pressure in the lines between the pump and the heat exchanger. It seems nice to me that there's a little trapped pressure in there that is a readable reassurance...  It sits at 8 or so and you know all's well.  If it were going way up you'd know the relief valve was stuck shut, if it slowly dropped to zero with the control handle down you'd know the brew valve (Or something) was leaking. Gauges are there to provide information and it sounds like yours is doing so. That doesn't suck at all.
frcn
frcn

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Wed Sep 4, 2013, 10:34pm

emradguy Said:

Ok, now you're confusing me Randy. My Duetto brew pressure gauge reads 0, except when I'm either brewing or back flushing.

Posted September 4, 2013 link

That was easy!   ;-)

It has been a while since I had my reservoir VBM DS, so I might be mistaken. Maybe just plumbed machine or just DB machines.

Been one of those weeks (years, really). This morning I spent three or four hours working on  one of my Hottops, changing from HTC_TC4C to RL-HT-CTRL boards and had to install a different USB panel mount cable. it was a different size so i went into my parts and found a new back panel. I carefully cut the square hole, mounted the cable, made a new plate for the board which is a different size than the old boards, and got it all together to find that the back cover is for the older machines and not for the "-2" models and there is no opening molded for the Safety eject lever....  PALM -> FOREHEAD = MY DAY

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > pressure brewing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.398927927017)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+