Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The one feature on my new V2B I enjoy that I didn't realize I would
"My First Crack"
"Ask Me About My First Crack."  Tee Shirts in Black, White, or Grey.
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The one feature...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 4:03am
Subject: The one feature on my new V2B I enjoy that I didn't realize I would

When I was shopping for a new machine I spent most of my time researching things that I thought would make the espresso better. I mean that is what we are all after. Some of the secondary features I didn't pay too much attention to.

Well, I have been pleasantly surprised by the one feature that I didn't think was going to make that much difference has greatly improved my morning routine. What feature is that you say? Believe it or not, it is the no burn steam wand. No, I didn't have a problem burning myself before, but what I didn't know was how much easier this steam wand was going to be to clean after each use.  On my old machine I used to spend more time cleaning the steam wand than I now spend steaming the milk AND cleaning the steam wand.  This wand just wipes right off. I suspect some of the benefit comes from the no burn feature and some of it comes from how much faster this machine steams the milk than my old machine did. On my old machine, the milk was cooked onto the tip and shaft to the point I had to soak them a bit with a damp rag before I tried to get the milk off.

If your shopping, and you can relate, don't forget to check out this feature.
 View Profile Link to this post
germantownrob
germantownrob
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Duetto 3, A Dead Oscar
Grinder: Vario-W, Preciso w/Esatto,...
Drip: Brazen
Roaster: Diedrich IR-1, HT B
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 5:40am
Subject: Re: The one feature on my new V2B I enjoy that I didn't realize I would

Lol, I know what you mean. I turned mine into a burn type and when I didn't notice the steam being much drier I reinstalled the silicone tube to make it a no burn again for the easy clean and no burn.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 8:57am
Subject: Re: The one feature on my new V2B I enjoy that I didn't realize I would

Ditto - even while waiting for the 4-hole tip I am greatly enjoying the no-burn wand on the V2B. I had done all the research and was prepared to take the teflon out to achieve more powerful, dry steam. When I was flushing the machine thoroughly, I realized that after the one-second or so bleed to get residual moisture out, once I steamed directly into an empty Pyrex glass measuring cup (so it was capturing just about all the water) after 25 seconds or so there was just a minimal amount of water in the Pyrex. The equivalent of maybe a half teaspoon, after 25 seconds! That was plenty dry for me. And I haven't had any problems with the power. Maybe that will change with the 4-hole tip, but I don't think so.

And as Dean says it's a breeze to clean the wand. A simple wipe, no force really necessary. A quick shot of steam, and it's good to go.

Actually the whole machine is really easy to clean. The stainless steel seems to wipe really easily, rather than being a water spot magnet that some cheaper quality, less polished appliances I've owned in the past.

And the brew group is surprisingly easy to clean. With the brew head of the Silvia, grinds would get all up and down the screen, inside of it, and all around the side of the head up to the gasket. It'd be a chore to wipe it clean between uses, and then I'd take off the brew head for deep cleaning every week and it'd be filled with coffee oils/grime inside.

For whatever reason, grinds don't tend to go all over the place on the V2B. Not up the side of the head, not to the gasket. When I wipe all around all the grinds come from the screen, and even that's not all that much. A quick flush or two, along with a plain water backflush, and it looks good as new. Even using the white porcelain cup test shows barely any residual grind even though after 15 drinks over four days I haven't removed the head/gasket for cleaning.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The one feature...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.360362052917)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+