Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
CC1 owners...what P9 offset value?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > CC1...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 2:47pm
Subject: Re: CC1 owners...what P9 offset value?

CMIN Said:

I put mine to -11 to play with, we shall see.

Posted September 17, 2013 link

Pull a 2 oz warming flush and then pull your first shot... let me know if it stinks or not.
 View Profile Link to this post
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 5:57pm

Chris: I am anxious to hear how your P9 offset turned out.

I actually made my first shot with the CC1 tonight with the -12 setting and a short warming flush. It was very good.

BTW, I can tell you that I can make far better micro foam with the CC1 than I can with the V2B, but it takes much much longer to steam the milk with the CC1
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 4:06am

Not sure, I'm either having grinder issues or bean issues, I put a new adjustment ring and burr holder in and I'm still getting poor pours and spritzs etc. Think I got some bad batches of beans. Gonna order again today and see.

I did find out they come set at 0 from the factory, if peoples are different then its pry from flipping through the menus and accidentally setting it. I wonder too if altitude makes a difference?  I'm at sea level, so maybe I shouldn't really play with the offset, or maybe just a little?
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 5:15am

CMIN Said:

Not sure, I'm either having grinder issues or bean issues, I put a new adjustment ring and burr holder in and I'm still getting poor pours and spritzs etc. Think I got some bad batches of beans. Gonna order again today and see.

I did find out they come set at 0 from the factory, if peoples are different then its pry from flipping through the menus and accidentally setting it. I wonder too if altitude makes a difference?  I'm at sea level, so maybe I shouldn't really play with the offset, or maybe just a little?

Posted September 20, 2013 link

I sure wish we could hear from someone that has tested a version 1 CC1 with a true scace device. I know my homemade device is very close to the displayed brew temperature on my V2B, but it was WAY OFF on my CC1 when I tested it. in fact, if I don't do the warming flush its off by about 19F (with P9 set to 0). I know there is some articles out there that report how stable and accurate the CC1 is. So that is the reason I first questioned that I may have inadvertently changed the P9 setting. Then I started searching and saw that others had changed their P9 setting significantly. I don't know if this is a variation from one unit to the next of if they all need to be changed.

I had done a test several months ago that was much better, but that was a test that I was not able to control the water flow very well. If you move enough water fast enough, you will eventually get the set point temperature even if you have P9 at 0F, but, in the real world, that is not how it works. However, this method also leaves you with a small amount of water quantity at the set point and the temperature will start dropping fast. So, the offset of -10 or -12 with a 2 oz warming flush was the method I  came up with that gave me the most stable brew head temperature for the entire shot. While not perfect, it was reasonably close.  My recent tests have a controlled flow rate of about 1.75 ounces in 25 seconds. Here again, this is not exactly real world because the flow rate actually varies throughout the extraction process, but I think the test I am doing is about as accurate as I can get without some very sophisticated equipment. At any rate, if the tests I am doing are even close, the brew temperature I get when P9 is set to 0 is way off when I do a shot without a warming flush and significantly off with a warming flush.. so the P9 of -12 gets me to a temperature that seems to run about 197-200F throughout the shot when I have the displayed boiler temperature set to 200F if I do a warming flush first. Without the warming flush, I would be below in the high 180 range and if I had P9 set to 0 without a warming flush I would be down in to the high 170 range.

Geeze.. I hope that paragraph is not as confusing as it looks.. :)
jonr

Expertise: I love coffee
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 5:55am

> My goal is to get my CC1 pulling shots as close to the V2B as possible.

My guess is that if you have the same starting temperature, same pressure/OPV setting, same pump/pressure startup profile and approximately the same size boiler (or more precisely, a way of making the temp profile during brew the same), then two machines will produce similar results.

Does anyone have data showing that two different machines with the same pressure/flow and temp profiles (and the same coffee, dose, tamp, etc) produce significantly different taste?
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 7:48am

jonr Said:

> My goal is to get my CC1 pulling shots as close to the V2B as possible.

My guess is that if you have the same starting temperature, same pressure/OPV setting, same pump/pressure startup profile and approximately the same size boiler (or more precisely, a way of making the temp profile during brew the same), then two machines will produce similar results.

Does anyone have data showing that two different machines with the same pressure/flow and temp profiles (and the same coffee, dose, tamp, etc) produce significantly different taste?

Posted September 21, 2013 link

I mostly agree... but there is a different pressure ramping profile from an E61 and the CC1. A plumbed in E61 will provide a different ramping profile than a tank E61 too.
showing page 2 of 2 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > CC1...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377331018448)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+