Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Espresso machine for a coffee cart in college
Italian Coffee
Italian coffee beans, grinds and pods from Kimbo, LavAzza, Miscela d'Oro & Bristot. Qty. discounts!
www.espressozone.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso machine...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Nuolatinis

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 9:37am
Subject: Espresso machine for a coffee cart in college

Hello everyone!

I'm Russian student planning to open a small coffee cart in my college (in Russia) that I've almost finished. I read some of similar topics and came up with few decisions that I need to get an advice upon. I have to notice that it's my first attempt to make a startup and I'm well aware of the fact that I may fail as well as prepared for this. But first, summary of what to expect:
  1. We're planning to have something starting with 50 cups a day (Monday survey will give me more accurate numbers).
  2. Space available for the cart will be limited, so it has to be the small machine (1gp preferably, but it's the subject to discuss).
  3.  Initial buget for the machine may fluctuate from $2000 up to $5000, depending on the availability of the machines (it's a big concern here).

So, from what I've found available in my country, it appears that Nuova Simonelli Appia 1 S is the cheapest way to go (with the price of $2100). Next follows the La Cimbali М21 Junior S1 starting with $3000 (although it comes only wit 2.4l). Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find the local retailer of Elektra, so Elektra Deliziosa is not an option. Following to more expensive and popular options, there's LM GS/3 of course, but with the price of $7000 which is much more than I expect.

Next follows the grinder. It promises to be less headache since I'm planning to come to America for a couple of weeks to visit my friends, so I'll be able to buy the decent grinder there, however a good advice is still required.

I also wonder if there are companies in America (or other places in the world) that are ready to deliver coffee beans to the Southern Russia (because of the unbelievably high prices of the local suppliers).

The other things such as counter, syrups, design of the whole place itself, milk, sugar, etc are already taken into account. Sanitation regulations will be handled by my college.

Thank you in advance, hope I'll make my way through with your wise advice =)
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 7:23pm
Subject: Re: Espresso machine for a coffee cart in college

Here is a UK based site that offers worldwide shipping. They specailize in home and some commercial equipment. There prices are VERY reasonable. I am a big fan of Rancilio and Macap. Both are rock solid brands. The epoca 1 group  can handle approx 120 drinks per hour. As for a grinder I own a Macap MX. Its a 1 kg hopper capacity grinder. Think it has 65mm burrs. It can grind a full pound in under 1 min. The Epoca on this site goes for $2000. The Macap M2 is only $450. If your going to be serving Americano n press or drip id look at a water boiler maybe? This will save room on the cart if u brew manually.

Click

Syrups are easy to find. Monin is a great brand. As for coffee the fresher the better. Im sure you have roasters in the area somewhere. Maybe consider roasting yourself?
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Nuolatinis

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 6:05am

Burner0000,

Thank you for your help! I found Rancilio Epoca option really interesting, and after watching some of the video reviews I believe it's the one I'll take. I am now also considering the roasting as it appears that green beans are much cheaper and not too hard to find. A little meticulous question - is this site reliable? From what I've found on this forum I can't make the complete conclusion and wasting $2000+ is not an option for me =)
CoffeeRoastersClub
CoffeeRoastersClub

Espresso: Vintage La Pavoni Lever...
Grinder: Breville Smartgrind,...
Vac Pot: Vintage Silex, Nicro...
Drip: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: javaPRO-CRC AIR Fluid Bed...
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 6:35am

Have you ever considered also roasting your own beans for your cart?  May be a way to save product costs and also further promote your brand.

Len

"Coffee leads men to trifle away their time, scald their chops, and spend their money, all for a little base, black, thick, nasty, bitter, stinking nauseous puddle water." ~The Women's Petition Against Coffee, 1674

www.CoffeeRoastersClub.com     www.javaPRO-CRC.com     www.KaffeeFrisch.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Nuolatinis

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 6:46am

Yes, I am now almost completely convinced that it'd be my best bet to roast the beans by myself. But it's the espresso machines' topic so I will ask questions about the roaster in appropriate place. Thank you for your consideration though!
Burner0000

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 9:39am

I haven't bought from this site so I can't say yes on that one.. If your willing to spend a few bucks more to buy from Canada I know of a few suppliers that will ship to you.  Links are below. Just make sure if you buy from these guys to get the right voltage and plugs.  

Epoca

Macap M4?

If you decide to roast this is is new and lookin good. :P

Coffee Crafters Artisan V Roaster
 View Profile Visit website Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Espresso machine...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.359492063522)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+