Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Used Gaggia Classic with PID problems and no water coming out.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Used Gaggia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
osteenjames

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 7:24am
Subject: Re: Used Gaggia Classic with PID problems and no water coming out.

Hello coffeenoobie. Everything you have told me I should have followed to the letter. Well, lesson learned. I appreciate you sharing your wealth of experience with me, it helps me a GREAT deal! First, I should have bought 5 lbs like you said. Im ordering more today. Just like you said you cannot compare REDBIRD to anything except REDBIRD. The student has learned through experimentation...muhhaahaha. That's my mad-scientist laugh.

Today was day 2 experiments with OSCAR.  I'm not experimenting with GAGGIA until later today. I wanted to get more comfortable with OSCAR and new Baratza Vario grinder and the new redbird coffee. I found out like I was told, settings may vary from day to day.
RESULTS of ESPRESSO SHOTS
GRINDER: BARATZA VARIO
SETTINGS: VARY

DAY 1: Dialed in at 2 MACRO and V: Coffee came out in slow at first, then blonded 30 second shot 14 gram basket, 25-27 pounds tamp. Espresso was the best I've tasted; chocolatey.
DAY 2: Had to throw out 4 doubles with same settings as day 1.  I dialed in to 2 MACRO and P MICRO. Shot was a little short at 30 seconds but very tasty not as good as day 1.

These results not being the same makes me appreciate that espresso making is an art to be perfected upon. Dosing, weighing, quality and variety of brand, tamp pressure. I think how much harder this learning experience could be without the help of this wonderful forum.

Im storing my coffee in room temperature inside a food saver air-tight container(I can suck all air out with machine) is this a good method to keep the REDBIRD fresh?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 10:14am

Your Redbird and Vario will work as well with the Gaggia.  I also use Redbird Espresso and Redbird Blue Jag.  You have the tools so now for either machine, it is just you  :)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 10:22am

I am glad I can help.  I understand not wanting to buy 5 lbs when you start but it really helps to have a big batch to work with.  And you burn through a lot of coffee at first.  12oz just doesn't cut it.  

Also, make sure the grinder is running before you move it up or down.  Also, adjust after cleaning or travel.

It is possible just the way you are packing the puck is giving you the changes from day to day. That is part of the challenge, to do your prep the same way every day.  Also, did you get the W?  If not you need a scale that can measure .1 because that will be an issue as well.

No, don't suck the air out.  You are using it too fast to worry with that and some think those vacuum cans make it age faster than just a paper bag.  Just keep it cool and dry.  I suck the air out when I freeze it but not at room temp.  I normally move up 2 letter clicks a day.  Some days 3 but mostly 2.  But if I have a dry day in winter it messes me up or a rainy day in the summer it messes me up.   But in the PNW it is pretty humid all winter and dry all summer so you can get a good guess how much it changes day by day. I normally don't have to change numbers, just letters. (partly because I freeze in small batches so about the time I am getting close to the end of the letters I am on a new batch and start down near the bottom again)  In places where the humidity bounces around more I am sure it is harder.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
osteenjames

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 3:36pm

I used GAGGIA CLASSIC today with REDBIRD. Brew temp set at 209, VST Basket, 14 grams, Tamp 30 lbs. Baratza Vario grinder set at 2 Macro and P Micro (Up a couple of letters from Oscar) got 30 second shot, nice crema, Tiger striping, Taste was less bitter than Oscar and bit more smooth tasting chocolatey goodness. I was going to sell GAGGIA but I think I will keep it so I always have two machines.....WAIT! now I want 3 machines...MWUAhahaha..Just kidding. I believe I have enough versatility with these two machines.
D4F

Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 4:41pm

You returned the Gaggia thread back to Gaggia :)  Gaggia with PID is quite capable of pulling good shots.  Not quite so good with multiple shots and steaming.  That set temperature seems a bit low, but taste matters.  If problems you may need to raise the temp a few degrees, a degree at a time.    

What weight was the double?  

Redbird is good, and easy.  I buy 5 lbs and freeze and use about 1/2 lb per week.

Have fun with your machines.

D4F also at
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 7, 2013, 8:16pm

If you think Oscar is running hot because the cooler gaggia shot tasted better, just let the water run a bit longer before you pull the shot. I used to do 3-4 oz if the machine had been sitting for over 20 mins or so.  Now I modded it so I barely do 2oz hardly enough to warm the cup.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
osteenjames

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 4:52pm

Hello DF4 I have been doing well with my Gaggia with PID as shots are pretty consistent with pid and temperature adjustments.
I usually use my OSCAR as all my drinks are milk based and I like the monster steam from oscar. I really dont need two machines so I was
going to sell Gaggia Classic with PID but was wondering how does one go about selling on the BUY/SELL forum? Specifically how does one get the money from selling an item? Thought I would get some feedback before I pursue a different avenue.
D4F

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 5:05pm

D4F Said:

If you sell this machine," or when you sell :)  I saw your Oscar thread.

Posted September 1, 2013 link

What took you so long :)  Since you steam, an easy choice, good for you.

I have not used BST so I cannot speak from experience. Are you asking how to use the BST section or how to exchange the Classic for money, how the transaction works?  The "must read" talks about the sale on page 2.  Suggested that many use Paypal and send money.

Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

D4F also at
MJW

Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 9:16pm

James, what's is Oscar's recovery time in your experience?
osteenjames

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 11:37am

Well, I have only been using this machine for about a month. I usually am only making espresso for myself. When Im dialing in with my grinder I usually throw out 2 shots so I make 3 all together and the machine is ready to pull all three shots within one minute of each other. The third shot seems just as hot as the other 2 previous shots and has thick rich crema and very good tasting not bitter.
I use a Baratza Vario grinder and have got quite used to it to the point where I dont throw away to many shots anymore (easier when all you drink is lattes).
showing page 3 of 4 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Used Gaggia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.410228013992)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+