Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Have consumer Superautomatic machines gotten any better in recent years?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Have consumer...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Inflictionmitch

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Pavoni Pisa
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 6:31pm
Subject: Have consumer Superautomatic machines gotten any better in recent years?

I've never been impressed with espresso shots from the Superautomatic machines that I've tried in the past, but I've not tried any consumer units in the past several year. My Baratza grinder mechanism has now crapped out and my Pavoni espresso machine is about twelve years old (and about six repairs in), so a part of my is considering the semi-blasphemic act of purchasing a superautomatic, if one can be had that delivers pleasing, strong shots with nice crema. Are there any machines that you guys feel might be worth considering?
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MJW

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 9:11pm
Subject: Re: Have consumer Superautomatic machines gotten any better in recent years?

To the best of my knowledge superautos continue to use a pressurized brew method, which is not going to give the intensity, richness, and other taste and mouthfeel characteristics that some people would insist on.

Milk steaming on superautos seems to be an area of continuous flux these days, but my impression is that they fall down here too.  Microfoam is important for taste and mouthfeel (if you make milk drinks).
 View Profile Link to this post
CappaZing
CappaZing

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 9:21pm
Subject: Re: Have consumer Superautomatic machines gotten any better in recent years?

I am the 2nd owner of an older Saeco Magic Plus that is AMAZING.  It has 7,775 shots pulled from it and it is still in perfect working order.  My shots it pulls rival any other machine, sometimes it needs to be adjusted (temp, grind, etc.) depending on the roast.  I always have a thick rich crema on my espresso.  I am sure a manipulating a manual "could" give you more BUT I am super happy with mine.  The boiler makes SUPER hot steam in a small amount of time,  I get TONS of foam.  I can putter around the kitchen for a minute till it warms up!   I am going to be so sad the day I have to buy another machine BUT you can bet it will be a Super.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 9:47pm

CappaZing Said:

My shots it pulls rival any other machine...

Posted September 15, 2013 link

Please be more specific. I ask because the comments you made are in great contrast to every comment I can remember reading since late 2000 concerning superautomatic espresso machines.
I do not question that you are pleased with the machine and enjoy its product though.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
MJW

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 10:55pm

CappaZing Said:

I am the 2nd owner of an older Saeco Magic Plus that is AMAZING.

That's wonderful.  Has it improved in terms of shot quality in the past several years?  That was the question the OP was asking.  Welcome to  CG!
CappaZing
CappaZing

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 11:27pm

I am sure on a heavy duty forum like this my "new" foray into the espresso world is nothing compared to some members that are manual users and like to play around with the crema more than I do!I like my cappuccinos fast, hot & foamy :) Mine does truly makes a beautiful thick crema.  I think they need to be fine tuned to your specifications, but its so easy, just a couple adjustments on the grinder.  I pull mine at a medium temp. I have been EXTREMELY happy with my Super.  I DEF have read on many forums complaints of the Supers But I can attest to the quality of mine!

I was just at Seattle Coffee gear here in Seattle last week and looked at some machines.  I was not a huge fan of the Jura for some reason.  However, I did like the removable milk canister to keep in the fridge-kida cool.  They have a really some really nice refurbs for alot less with a 1 year warranty. Kinda can't go wrong  haha! I was considering purchasing another soon as a backup-so i do not have to go a day without!

I like the no mess factor of the Supers as well.  They are SOOOOO easy to use.  Just my POV! Guess it depends on how much control "YOU" like over your espresso!  

do you have any stores in the area you can go pull a shot on??

frcn Said:

Please be more specific. I ask because the comments you made are in great contrast to every comment I can remember reading since late 2000 concerning superautomatic espresso machines.
I do not question that you are pleased with the machine and enjoy its product though.

shnxx
shnxx
Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 11:47pm

I do have a nespresso, which isn't really a proper superautomatic I guess but it's not too bad.
sgnoobie

Expertise: I live coffee

Grinder: HMMS
Drip: v60 02
Roaster: Blue Bottle, Ritual,...
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 2:27am

shnxx Said:

I do have a nespresso, which isn't really a proper superautomatic I guess but it's not too bad.

hopefully not the only machine you have or I would question why you are here....JK! =)

I had the pleasure of tasting a shot on a Saeco Xelsis in an office the other day....Certainly better than what I could get at Sbux, but I wouldn't go so far as to say I would prefer it over a La Pavoni or even a mypressi! Like the dude above said, I believe these machines are pressurized? So you get crema for sure, but the taste is very different. I'm not the best with describing the flavors of espressos, but I would say they aren't as well bodied if that makes sense.

The other positive that struck me about the xelsis is that it looks like it has a pretty decent frothing wand and detachable milk jug....It's also pretty damn sexy, but for almost 3k, it better be!
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 9:16am

Inflictionmitch Said:

I've never been impressed with espresso shots from the Superautomatic machines that I've tried in the past, but I've not tried any consumer units in the past several year. My Baratza grinder mechanism has now crapped out and my Pavoni espresso machine is about twelve years old (and about six repairs in), so a part of my is considering the semi-blasphemic act of purchasing a superautomatic, if one can be had that delivers pleasing, strong shots with nice crema. Are there any machines that you guys feel might be worth considering?

In a word, "no."  I have never had any shot from a super-automatic that I could consider anything better than merely "good" -- from either a commercial╣ super-auto, let alone a consumer-oriented one.  Nonetheless, my brother-in-law swears by his.  (My sister-in-law, mother- and father-in-law all swear by mine.)

Super-autos do have their uses, but there is a trade-off, and there's no way around that, I'm afraid.

╣ I hesitate to use the term "professional"; super-automatics are generally used when owners do not want, or can't, train their employees to become professional.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 9:23am

CappaZing Said:

I am the 2nd owner of an older Saeco Magic Plus that is AMAZING.  It has 7,775 shots pulled from it and it is still in perfect working order.  My shots it pulls rival any other machine, sometimes it needs to be adjusted (temp, grind, etc.) depending on the roast.  I always have a thick rich crema on my espresso.  I am sure a manipulating a manual "could" give you more BUT I am super happy with mine.  The boiler makes SUPER hot steam in a small amount of time,  I get TONS of foam.  I can putter around the kitchen for a minute till it warms up!   I am going to be so sad the day I have to buy another machine BUT you can bet it will be a Super.

Lauren, first of all welcome to CG!  But I want to quickly add that I am very glad your Saeco is performing so well.  Perhaps yours is the exception to the rule . . . understand that there is nothing more important than your satisfaction with your setup, and as long as you, that's perfect!

As Randy ("frcn") has already posted, your comments are in sharp contrast to probably 99 percent of the comments made here.  That does not mean you are "wrong" in any way, shape, or form.  No one is suggesting that.  But I wish we lived closer to one another so I could taste a cappuccino from this marvelous super-automatic for myself . . . I'm sure my eyes would be opened, one way or another!  ;^)

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Have consumer...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.435096025467)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+