Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Another DB Quickmill
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 122 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Sep 14, 2013, 12:30pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill - Monster Thread

CarloM Said:

Well that went about as expected. Tip arrived yesterday, attached it last night, had difficulty getting the swirl this morning. Lesson learned for next time. The smaller overall tip size kind of threw me off. I think I wasn't getting the right amount of the tip under the milk for stretching, and by the time I (over)corrected I brought in too much air which I couldn't fully incorporate because I couldn't figure out how to get the swirl. I think I'll practice with water and soap later today.

Posted September 14, 2013 link

Well, I am not sure I have good advice, but I will tell you about my experience. I put the tip almost straight down in the center of the pitcher. Since you have 4 holes shooting 90 degrees apart, seems to me angling the tip is not going to be productive with 4 holes. I put the tip just below the surface almost straight  up and down and leave it there until I get to about 100F on milk temperature and then I move the wand father into the milk. I get foam this way, but it is not a fine as the foam I got with the CC1. I am still figuring it out too.
 View Profile Link to this post
Avalon

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Sep 15, 2013, 11:04pm
Subject: Re: Another DB Quickmill

Just received my Vetrano and I seem to have some issues with it....
  1.  Any of you guys having trouble unscrewing the 2 hole tip?   Mine wont budge and I've tried everything.   Any ideas on how to get this thing off?  Didnt want to use pliers as I dont want to scratch the finish.
  2.  I also noticed that my group gasket was also the hard gasket.   Wasn't this supposed to come with the soft ones?
  3.  How are the feet of your vetrano?  2 of mine came  a  bit dull and oxidized  and I tried to polish it off with a rag but no success.  Any of yours arrived in this condition.  I might be nitpicking but if Im putting down this kind of money, I expect everything to be brand new and functioning as it should be.

Any similar experiences? any input would be much appreciated!
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Mon Sep 16, 2013, 6:48am

1. Removing of the two hole tip. I used a pair of pliers, with a small wad of paper towel folded up to protect the metal from the teeth, and unscrewed. It came out fairly easily (a little bit of tightness as you'd expect in the beginning but once it started I could unscrew it with my hand).

2. I've taken the gasket off and there is some give to it, but I don't know if it's classified as soft or hard, not knowing how to tell. I'm pretty happy with the performance, there's no leaking and no issue with the installation of the portafilter (using a light amount of pressure it stops right around 90 degrees with a tight seal without torquing the front panel much). Pardon my ignorance but what would be the benefit of the softer gasket? Per Dave's recommendation I'll probably be changing mine every six months so if there's a benefit to the soft gasket I'll be ordering that in February 2014.

3. My feet aren't shiny like the rest of the machine. There is a bit of a dull look to them. Not sure about oxidized. Definitely no rust though. Not a deal breaker for me but I can understand if others are upset.

I'd just be happy to get a handle on steaming with the 4-hole tip. Here goes nothing! :)
CarloM

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 7:58am

This is mostly for Dean - I couldn't find your other thread about using the precision screen vs. the default screen.

I am one of those who bought the precision screen and installed it right away. Been using for a few weeks now and decided, since today was my weekly "clean the screen and gasket" day, I'd put the original screen on. The differences are noticeable visibly: the original screen has a more bulbous screen shape (convex towards the puck) than the precision screen. But also, the way the precision screen is made, there's like a layer of stainless steel which contacts the puck, and the only "screen" portion is the screen over the holes where the water comes out. Looking at it from the back (inside) of the screen there's also mostly metal visible, so it's like the screen is sandwiched between two metal plates with holes in the right places for water to come out, as opposed to the original screen which has a back plate of metal and the front is all screen.

Does that make sense?

The Result: Quality-wise I can tell you it's about a wash. I couldn't discern a difference between my cup today and my cup yesterday.

And yet, I'm going to put the precision screen back on right away when it cools.

Why? Because of cleanliness. I thought this might happen when looking at the two screens and one use has confirmed it. Fine particles of coffee are more likely to get into the original screen than they are in the precision screen. Usually when I do a 2 second cleaning flush and wipe with the towel, the precision screen almost has no fine grind on the towel. With the same cleaning flush and wipe, there's a ton of grind today. Plus looking up into the original screen I could still see little bits of grind. So I flushed and wiped again, still more grind. Then I backflushed with clean water and the water that came out was noticeable colored with a little coffee. When I had my precision screen, a water backflush yielded an almost colorless water.

So to summarize:
  • With the precision screen, one 2-second flush and quick towel wipe yielded barely any grind on the towel. Screen looked clean to naked eye. Then one water backflush yielded almost colorless water going into the drip pan. I am confident very little coffee/oils got into the brewgroup.
  • With the original screen, one 2-second flush and quick towel wipe yielded quite a bit of grind on the towel. A second 2-second flush and towel wipe yielded less grind, but still more than what I was used to seeing with the precision screen. A first backflush yielded slightly brown water. A second backflush yielded much clearer water. Clearly much more coffee grind/oils were introduced into the grouphead than with the precision screen.

It's ironic, the precision screen is marketed towards getting a better dispersion and even pressure of water into the puck. I cannot say for sure if either happened. My coffee tastes the same. But what they should market it as, is a protective barrier keeping much more of the grind and oil from going up into the group head. I remember reading Dean say he cleaned the grouphead when he had his screen off, and when I looked at mine (having only used the precision screen for weeks) I thought "why did he bother, mine looks like new"? Now I know why.
sharky
sharky
Expertise: I love coffee

Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 10:48am

CarloM, what is this precision screen you are mentioning?  How much is it to buy, and where did you get it from?  Thx.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 2:49pm

CarloM Said:

This is mostly for Dean - I couldn't find your other thread about using the precision screen vs. the default screen.

I am one of those who bought the precision screen and installed it right away. Been using for a few weeks now and decided, since today was my weekly "clean the screen and gasket" day, I'd put the original screen on. The differences are noticeable visibly: the original screen has a more bulbous screen shape (convex towards the puck) than the precision screen. But also, the way the precision screen is made, there's like a layer of stainless steel which contacts the puck, and the only "screen" portion is the screen over the holes where the water comes out. Looking at it from the back (inside) of the screen there's also mostly metal visible, so it's like the screen is sandwiched between two metal plates with holes in the right places for water to come out, as opposed to the original screen which has a back plate of metal and the front is all screen.

Does that make sense?

The Result: Quality-wise I can tell you it's about a wash. I couldn't discern a difference between my cup today and my cup yesterday.

And yet, I'm going to put the precision screen back on right away when it cools.

Why? Because of cleanliness. I thought this might happen when looking at the two screens and one use has confirmed it. Fine particles of coffee are more likely to get into the original screen than they are in the precision screen. Usually when I do a 2 second cleaning flush and wipe with the towel, the precision screen almost has no fine grind on the towel. With the same cleaning flush and wipe, there's a ton of grind today. Plus looking up into the original screen I could still see little bits of grind. So I flushed and wiped again, still more grind. Then I backflushed with clean water and the water that came out was noticeable colored with a little coffee. When I had my precision screen, a water backflush yielded an almost colorless water.

So to summarize:
With the precision screen, one 2-second flush and quick towel wipe yielded barely any grind on the towel. Screen looked clean to naked eye. Then one water backflush yielded almost colorless water going into the drip pan. I am confident very little coffee/oils got into the brewgroup.
With the original screen, one 2-second flush and quick towel wipe yielded quite a bit of grind on the towel. A second 2-second flush and towel wipe yielded less grind, but still more than what I was used to seeing with the precision screen. A first backflush yielded slightly brown water. A second backflush yielded much clearer water. Clearly much more coffee grind/oils were introduced into the grouphead than with the precision screen.

It's ironic, the precision screen is marketed towards getting a better dispersion and even pressure of water into the puck. I cannot say for sure if either happened. My coffee tastes the same. But what they should market it as, is a protective barrier keeping much more of the grind and oil from going up into the group head. I remember reading Dean say he cleaned the grouphead when he had his screen off, and when I looked at mine (having only used the precision screen for weeks) I thought "why did he bother, mine looks like new"? Now I know why.

Posted September 17, 2013 link

Thanks for taking the time to organize your thoughts... I agree that cleanliness is a valid enough reason.
CarloM

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 4:30pm

Sharky: Here is the precision shower screen from CCS

DeanOK, and others: 4-hole tip question/observation.

I was just about to give up on the 4-hole tip and getting good microfoam. I've been having a devil of a time getting the "swirl" that is essential. I've noticed that historically when I bleed the steam wand before steaming, not all four holes spray steam equally in all directions. Initially I thought nothing of it. But this got me thinking, maybe this is a problem?

So today I was in the process of removing the 4-hole tip and going back to the 2-hole tip. I noticed something: the teflon tube extended way out from the end of the wand with the tip removed. I held up the 4 hole tip right beside it and noted that the teflon tube was likely extending far enough to partially block one or more holes. So I took some wire cutters and cut about 1/4" to 1/8" off of the tube, reducing it to a level where it appears to no longer block one of the holes. I reattached the tip and am warming up the machine to use in about 20 minutes. But just now the steam boiler got to 256F so I just turned on the steam and sure enough, all four holes now spray equally in all directions. Now this doesn't mean I'll be any better at steaming, but it gives me some hope. I'll post later if I have better luck...
CarloM

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 5:05pm

Quick update: near perfect microfoam after I cut the piece of teflon tubing shorter to allow for four symmetrical streams of steam to come out of the 4-hole tip. Messed up the pour so my art sucks, but now I'm getting very close to the type of microfoam that I get from Intelligentsia. I'm definitely leaving the 4-hole tip on now, and would recommend that anyone having trouble with the 4-hole tip to test and see if you're getting 4 equally powerful streams of steam. If not, check if your teflon tubing is extending too far into the tip and blocking (even partially) a hole or two. Mine was cut at an angle so it might have been partially blocking as many as two of the .9mm holes. It was way easier to get the swirl/roll going post-cutting of the teflon.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Posted Tue Sep 17, 2013, 6:24pm

This is mostly for ECM:

Ok, I went to the hardware store the other day and bought the missing stainless steel screws that were supposed to be in the middle of the side panels on the bottom. I guess the guy that assembled mine at the factory was thinking about his upcoming vacation in Aug instead of my machine...at any rate.... I got everything tight and took a new sound measurement using the same  sound level software. I cant remember what I measured before, but I think it was around 68 or 69 db 12 inches in front of the machine. This time it was 67db. No big change.
Tonyv138

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Sat Sep 21, 2013, 12:27am

Has anyone tried to drain boilers on V2B. Curious how hard those drain valves to open to drain and close so they do not leak under pressure?

thanks
showing page 122 of 148 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Another DB...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.400023937225)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+