Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Best machine for specialty (or third wave) coffee!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best machine for...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Tomate

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 12:21pm
Subject: Best machine for specialty (or third wave) coffee!

Dear people, my wife and i are planning to open a caf in Berlin, it will not be specialized only in third wave brewing methods but we love really good coffee and we think we should be able to make extremely high quality coffee, so we wanna use specialty coffee beans (Bonanza), good professional training and of course good equipment.
Now the thing is every barista has his/her own opinion (some of them sound more like the last word) and lately i had the chance to meet several distributors and dealers of coffee machines and i don't know which machine and grinder will suit our needs. We don't have a gigantic budget so don't suggest the Slayer or the super Spirit from "Van Der Westens".
We wanna have:
-Extremelly good coffee
-Perfect milk texture for the best flat white
-Consistent and repeatable shots
-As much control as possible (regarding time, T and Pressure)
-If possible, low energy consumption
-two groups only, and if possible separated boiler and heating elements for each group
So, any suggestion would be very welcome, even better if it comes with feedback!
Thanks a lot!

Tomate
 View Profile Link to this post
Tomate

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 12:29pm
Subject: Re: Best machine for specialty (or third wave) coffee!

Ah, the answers from the sticky would be:
-We wanna make espresso based things like: espresso (and double), Capp., Flat white, Latte and machiatto
-I said already, two groups, so two drinks at a time
-On average i think if everything works fine we should be able to make around 300 shots a day during the first three month (small place!)
-A machine with it's own reservoir would be better
-No idea about the amps, probably 15 but we have a good electrician (if that of any help)
-The budget for the machine would be around 6,500 EURO, we're also trying to get a used one (like in coffee fairs and congresses, there are some good deals!)
TurtlesAllTheWayDown

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Silvia w/ PID
Grinder: Preciso
Vac Pot: Hario
Drip: Chemex, aeropress
Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 1:01pm

I'm not really sure what you mean by third wave brewing methods, but I think the La Marzocco Linea might be worth investigating.  That thing is a work horse and is in a lot of specialty shops here in the US.  And I think it may work within your budget, but check with distributors to see whst sort of deal they will get you.
Also, I wouldn't think you would want a machine with a reservoir unless you were doing done sort of portable shop, but that is just my opinion.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 1:23pm

The flawed premise to your question is that there is ONE "best machine."  There isn't.  Whatever machine you get WILL need servicing, so find out who reliably services espresso machines in your area of Berlin, and what type of machines they service . . . go from there.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
MJW

Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 7:59pm

I agree Jason makes a great point about service.

The La Marzocco products are in every cafe here in the SF Bay Area, the Cupertino Whole Foods 2 group is probably a linea, they're just everywhere.  So either they're pretty good or LM have great salesguys :)  Just to be clear just because they are everywhere doesn't mean they are considered the best, you have literally tens of excellent choices.

For grinders, Mazzer and Compaq may still be common brands, e.g. Mazzer Robur.  At least it's a starting place.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600+, CO/UFO combo
Posted Thu Sep 19, 2013, 8:55pm

Guys, as he wants a tanked machine, would a GS3 be rugged enough for the OP's use pattern?

Also, Seems like a lot of Euro cafes are getting into 2 group levers. IZZO makes one that would easily fall into his price range. However, like MOST commercial machines, it needs to be plumbed.
Not sure why Tomate needs tanked?

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 3:24am

I have a humble recommendation. I've been delighted with my ECM Technika IV since I got it a few months ago, and I've noticed that ECM Germany makes a two-group version of my machine. It can be switched from tank to plumbed, so you can have whichever you prefer. It is manufactured in Heidelberg, so you should have a lot of good local support. It sports E61 groups, is very easy to use, and takes up relatively little space. Seems to me a German machine would be at home in a German cafe. Vielen Gluck!
kolu
kolu
Expertise: Pro Barista

Espresso: Grimac La Uno
Grinder: Mahlkönig Guatemala, Porlex
Drip: Kalita Wave, Aeropress
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 4:16am

Tomate Said:

-A machine with it's own reservoir would be better

Posted September 19, 2013 link

With 300 coffees a day? No way! Even 30 shots done on Promac Club with reservoir (current backup machine in caffee where I work) are PITA because of all the refilling of the bloody beast. Forget it at all. Comercial caffee = plumbed in.
Happiest

Grinder: Vario-W
Drip: Pour over/melitta bamboo
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 5:27am

Isn't 3rd wave related to more labour intensive, old school delivery systems, usually siphon or pour over?
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Fri Sep 20, 2013, 6:31am

Happiest Said:

Isn't 3rd wave related to more labour intensive, old school delivery systems, usually siphon or pour over?

Posted September 20, 2013 link

No.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Best machine for...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.423303127289)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+