Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
gaggia dose - no water through grouphead
Grey Seal Coffee
We Roast Exceptional Coffee. See Our Brew Guides And Our Coffee Courses. 10% off with 'coffeegeek'!
greysealcoffee.co.uk

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > gaggia dose - no...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
savre

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 4:22pm
Subject: gaggia dose - no water through grouphead

I've read a few threads where people complain of a similar problem after being away for awhile, but I haven't found a definitive solution. I was away for quite awhile without using my machine. Now I find water will not come through the brewhead; it will come through the wand, but not in a consistent stream, only in spurts. I followed the manual's suggestion for getting rid of an "air bubble" but this was not effective. If I take out the water container and look in I can see that water is pooling in the right tube.  I've removed and cleaned the shower screen and am now attempting to remove the plate underneath to clean parts there. There were 4 screws which I removed with an allen wrench but it does not seem I can remove the plate; there are apparently more screws somewhere else that must be removed as well.
Is there a way for me to find a guide to disassembly of my machine on the net somewhere?
any advice would be appreciated. thanks.
 View Profile Link to this post
savre

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 5:49pm
Subject: Re: gaggia dose - no water through grouphead

One update on the issue. I have now been trying to run some descaler through the machine. I have simply left it running. Now I see if left running long enough water will pour through the brewhead at intervals. It comes out for about 5 seconds then stops. So it is similar to what is happening with the wand, with water spurting then stopping.

Does this sound like a scale issue which will eventually resolve itself if I keep running the machine with descaler in the tank? Or does it sound like a more fundamental problem which might be caused by a malfunction of a machine part?
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 7:40pm

Chris, welcome to CG.

Sounds like you have done some searching and not found a diagram.  I had similar luck.  Try below and see which machine yours is like, since they lump them together.  Which tank do you have? Is it most like Viva, Evo, or Pure and Color?

http://www.partsguru.com/DosePureColorVivaEvolution.html

What is your "right tube" and what is pooling?  I thought the tubes were down to drain.

If you are going to run it, you need to disconnect the element(s).  If you have an internal element and run without a mostly full boiler, it is not good for the element.  Look at the diagrams and the boiler will determine likely placement of the element.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
savre

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 10:06pm

Thanks for your reply DF4.

I will check out the diagram.

My machine is a Dose, which in my understanding is based on the Pure.

If I take out the water container I see the entrance to two tubes there. I guess they are transferring water from the container into the machine. The right one seems to be "plugged up." It looks like water is not flowing smoothly through it, and this is sending bubbles back up into the water into the container.

I am not yet sure how to determine the location of the element or how to remove it. This is my first time trying to "repair" an espresso machine.
savre

Posted Sun Sep 22, 2013, 10:54pm

Another thing I've just realized is it seems water is escaping from the machine somewhere. I can't pinpoint it. But the mat I had underneath my machine was completely soaked through.

The descaling attempts I've made don't seem to have fixed the problem. Water is still only "spitting" out of the wand, and not coming out of the brewhead unless I leave the machine on a long time in which case some water will periodically spit out of the brewhead too.
D4F

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 8:43am

I thought like the Pure.  If so, then the Pure diagram will help.  I have not actually seen the machine and am trying to help by looking at the diagram.  Many machines have a low tank and tubes into it, one a water pickup and the other a return.  It looks like your tank is higher and has valves to control water flow in and out.  I would start by making sure the valves all work and then you can get water to move there.  If I am seeing it correctly, then you can hold up the tank full of water and the valves shut off the water.  The valves are spring loaded and could be stuck.  The bubbles back into the tank could be when a little water moves and pushes air in the lines through to the tank.  You need to make sure that water can flow in and out of the tank and quit running the pump before you harm it.  When you are sure that the tank works, the easiest path of water flow is usually out the steam wand.  You could pull a heating element connection and stop heating also, incase the tank is not full.  Tape over and insulate the connector and element.  Or if not sure, get help from someone electrically qualified as you are mixing water and electricity.

D4F also at
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 10:01am

Whole latte love has a support section with the manuals for this machine, perhaps you will have better luck there.

Pulsing water flow sounds kind of like a leak that sucks air, that would kind of be backed up with the water on the counter. Check your water supply lines for wear, splitting or loose connections.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 10:17am

I have little (read no) experience with the new s/s Gaggias, but looking at the parts diagram for this one I see that yours has a Self Priming Valve.
SPVs are notorious for failing and then directing hot water back into the reservoir.   They can be disabled, and probably should be even if they haven't failed yet.

Susan
savre

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 4:27pm

thanks to everyone for your replies.

SJM, is there any kind of walkthrough on disabling the self priming valve? is this something that requires the purchase of extra parts/modifications to complete?

calblacksmith, how do I check the watersupply lines? Will I have to open the machine completely to do this? I have still not gotten so far as figuring out how to completely open the machine. there seems to be a lot of screws, perhaps some hidden ones.

D4F, my latest observation is that even with the pump off, machine off, it is still leaking water. If I place a tank full of water in the machine without turning it on and just let it sit, water will begin to pool under the machine. So I'm guessing right now there is a problem with the valves/tubes, but don't know. All of this is completely new to me; learning as  I go along.

If I can't figure this out, what about sending it in for repair? Is it worth it, or will mailing and repair costs just end up costing me as much as the machine is worth? Looks like I may end up having to buy another machine. Too bad, because while I have had this machine for a few years, I really have not used it that much, since I have been away or traveling a good part of the time.
D4F

Posted Mon Sep 23, 2013, 6:08pm

It sounds to me like there is a leak at the valves in the tank bottom, or where the tank plugs into the machine.  It seems that you are not getting a good water supply to the pump.  I would try to find the leak and see if there is any thing to clean or fix. Parts 26 - 31 of the upper diagram

Most of the less expensive Gaggias are leak prone and to me not worth fixing unless it is DIY.  Cost is to high for paid repair.

Self Prime is up by/in the steam valve parts 57 - 61.  The fix is usually to remove the tubing and plug that arm, leaving steam.  You can search Gaggia self prime valve and find more, but most of that is on other machines and may not be the same.  I do not think that is the immediate problem, though cannot be sure.  I think that it would cause warm water to go back to the tank as Susan noted.

Water supply would start at one of the above tank valves and go into the pump and then from the pump to the boiler.  I think from the lower diagram parts 25 - 32.  If it is not just in the tank bottom valves, you will have to open the machine.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

Most of the Gaggia users are using the old style aluminum boilers with built in elements and fairly common fittings and parts.

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > gaggia dose - no...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.354871034622)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+