Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New Expobar Pulser
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Expobar...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
Author Messages
myonevice

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky
Posted Wed Jul 28, 2004, 7:49pm
Subject: New Expobar Pulser

I just received my Office Pulser from WWL. Got it out of the box, primed it and noticed the steam wand had screw threads on the end and no tip. I find that rather frustrating.  Six hundred dollars and the box was not properly inspected - probably in Spain.  Not a good start. It was too late to call WLL and I'll deal w/that tomorrow.  I expect them to Fedex me a new tip.  I have ordered a Rancilio Rocky ($250 on a price match from Illyusa by WLL) as I have read everywhere that my store bought Braun cannot grind fine enough for a Prosumer machine.  I ran blank shot through the empty portafilter and then loaded a double shot and tamped it w/my new Berber Aluminum tamper and it oozed out in about 50 seconds.  Poured that one into the sink and reloaded, lightening my tamp a bit and that one came out in about 25 seconds but was too bitter to drink.  By then it was 9:45 and too late to start grinding and experimenting. I almost expect that my Braun can grind fine enough, but everything I have read is contrary to that.  I will be up early before work tomorrow and grind up some more beans to see if I can get a couple of good straight shots.  I am a cappucino person, but w/no steam tip, that is not happening.  The bitterness may just be the beans and/or the grind. I feel like buying a 1/2 pound of starbucks beans just to waste in experimentation.  Any suggestions on the cause of the bitterness?
 View Profile Link to this post
gajetjunkie
gajetjunkie

Espresso: La Valentina Semi-auto ,...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini ,Capresso...
Vac Pot: Not yet , French Press
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor , SC/TO
Posted Wed Jul 28, 2004, 8:58pm
Subject: Re: New Expobar Pulser

It could be that the braun is creating too much fine dust this will definately make it bitter as well as choke your machine.

Murray
NJAddict
NJAddict
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Lever
Grinder: Macap M4
Drip: Technivorm KBTS (w. Nissan...
Roaster: I-Roast I
Posted Thu Jul 29, 2004, 4:02pm

I may be wrong about this, but it may be that your grind is too fine.

I just bought an Expobar Lever machine, which arrived yesterday, and am finding that the normal grind that I used for my La Pavoni lever machine is much too fine for the Expobar.  With a normal tamp, the machine stalled.  I use a Solis Maestro Plus conical burr grinder, and normally grind a few clicks south of the Espresso mark.  Now, I'm experimenting about halfway between "Espresso" and "Drip" and getting better results.

Of course, with a pump machine, the tamp and the grind are intimately related.  Less of one and more of the other will yield comparable results, at least that's the theory.

If your Braun is a blade grinder, then the problem is not just the grind, but the unevenness of the grind, with a lot of dust, as well as increased heat, which will adversely affect the taste as well.

I'm not convinced that you need a Rocky to grind for the Expobar.  Maybe I just have a good Maestro Plus,  but so far I can grind plenty fine (and with adjustment room to spare), and it's only $149.  However, check with me in a week or two, as I get more experience with this puppy.

Michael
myonevice

Posted Thu Jul 29, 2004, 4:15pm

Michael: I have a Braun Burr grinder and I adjusted my grind this morning and the brew poured out in 10-15 seconds.  It was rather bitter.  I will adjust it again and try tomorrow morning. It may also be my beans. Besides the tamp and the grind, I have read that the beans make a difference as well.  I was not impressed by the crema this morning or lack thereof. I hope I did not waste my money buying a Rocky. But certainly everything I have read suggests you need a top notch grinder for these machines. I will get the Rocky on Saturday or Monday, so I have plenty of testing to do.  How do you like your Expobar? Alan
gourmetguy
gourmetguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: All kinds of stuff
Grinder: Various in my day
Drip: You name it I've had it
Roaster: just an iRoast
Posted Thu Jul 29, 2004, 5:07pm

myonevice Said:

I just received my Office Pulser from WWL... my store bought Braun cannot grind fine enough for a Prosumer machine.  I ran blank shot through the empty portafilter and then loaded a double shot and tamped it w/my new Berber Aluminum tamper and it oozed out in about 50 seconds.  Poured that one into the sink and reloaded, lightening my tamp a bit and that one came out in about 25 seconds but was too bitter to drink...?

Posted July 28, 2004 link

Time to thoroughly research your new machine.  Bitterness and sourness are two tastes you need to get familiar with and differentiate.  Each taste means something different.  You probably can't come to any conclusions using a Braun grinder, though... but chances are you're brewing too hot.  Setting the pressurestat in your machine is well-documented, so get a good grinder (critical, sorry), then evaluate.
myonevice

Posted Thu Jul 29, 2004, 7:12pm

Gourmetguy: I pulled another shot this evening after adjusting the grind (again) and it came out in 24 seconds, but was still bitter - or sour, now that you mention it. I did not stick a thermometer in it but will do so for my morning shot. What temperature is optimum?  I have also seen a couple of threads about the Expobars running too hot.  I will get my Rocky (hopefully this weekend) and I ordered a lb of Kona Espresso Roast by Java Joe from WLL.  I'll see if that also makes a difference.
CoffeeMe
CoffeeMe

Espresso: Brewtus II
Grinder: Rocky DL
Roaster: GeneCafe
Posted Thu Jul 29, 2004, 7:56pm

Make sure you use foam cup to measure the temparature. Have a look at the ariticle below, should give you some hints:
"How to review Domestic Espresso Machines"
expobar

Posted Thu Jul 29, 2004, 8:01pm

Make sure your machine is properly heated.  I'd say wait 2 hours, then pull a shot, see if its any better.
barjohn
barjohn

Espresso: Breville Oracle
Grinder: Breville Oracle
Posted Thu Jul 29, 2004, 9:15pm

Try Vivace beans and check the temperature.  203 F or 95 C is ideal in my experience.  I had and returned an Expobar because it was too hot and after I adjusted brew temp the steam was too low.  Probaly just me or my limited experience.  I now have an S-1 and I don't have that problem anymore.  Plenty of steam and temp is spot on.  By the way, I have never been able to detect much if any difference from tamp pressure.  You will see a much greater difference based on the amount of coffee in the PF.  Others with more experience seem to confirm that.

John

Veritas en Trashitas
expobar

Posted Thu Jul 29, 2004, 9:18pm

barjohn Said:

Others with more experience seem to confirm that.

Posted July 29, 2004 link

I dont have much experience, but i know when i lock on the Portafilter and i feel the grinds and the showerhead touching, the shot is better.
showing page 1 of 4 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New Expobar...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Craft Roasted Coffee
Some days you make the coffee. Other days the coffee makes you.
bit.ly/craftroasting-ks
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.422561883926)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+