Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Would you mind helping me identify and restore this machine?
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Would you mind...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Low00Ranger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 10:28am
Subject: Would you mind helping me identify and restore this machine?

]]I'm terribly sorry if I posted this in the wrong place.

My wife and I recently bought a small cafe, near Nashville, TN. We have a 2 single group machines in service. We also have a single that is not in service. It is branded as a Gensaco. I finally found that it is a rebadged Bezzera. But, I have no idea what model. Does anyone know?

Click Here (i1290.photobucket.com)

Cutting to the chase, the issue with this unit is with the controller. It will pour a shot. Albeit a poor one. The pump never kicks on. I tested the voltage to the pump and found none. Tracing it back to the black box, i found this...

Click Here (i1290.photobucket.com)

If anyone has any information about this machine, feel free to post. I would love to get this machine back in working order.

Thanks,
Jeremy
 View Profile Link to this post
CraigA
CraigA
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: PID/PressureMod 2001...
Grinder: BUNN FPG-2 DBC, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Bodum Santos manual, Yama 5...
Drip: Behmor BraZen, BUNN VPR-APS,...
Roaster: Refurb Behmor 1600, BBQ...
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 10:36am
Subject: Re: Would you mind helping me identify and restore this machine?

Mod note: Moved post from Espresso: Espresso Mods and Restorations to Espresso: Espresso Machines. {;-)

http://twitter.com/CoffeegeekCraig
http://www.facebook.com/craig.andrews.169

Excellent coffee doesn't just happen!
 View Profile Visit website Contact via AOL Instant Messenger Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 10:40am

These might give you a start:
Click Here (www.electrotechweb.com)
Click Here (www.home-barista.com)
http://www.gastrobawax.cz/katalogy-pdf/Gicar-dily.pdf
http://www.espresso-restorations.com/LMcontrolunits.html

It looks like the fuse took a hit, and component immediately below it as well, but for the cause...???

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Low00Ranger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Oct 17, 2013, 11:27pm

Thanks for the reply!

I have the same question. I'd hate to throw a new board in there, only to fry it. But,the cause is going to take some more digging.

When I took the sides off of it, I noticed that the pump, motor, and capacitor looked oddly new in relation to the rest of the plumbing. I think the previous owner may have tried to repair the unit with the shotgun approach. Just replacing random parts.

Unfortunately, I didn't have Much time to dig this afternoon.

One thing I did notice though is that the unit seems to be plugged into a 240v outlet (I could very well be wrong about this.). But, all of the internal components are marked as 110v/115v. Although I don't think this is the issue. If it were as simple as that, it probably would have taken out more than just the fuse and some small components.

One other question that I have is about the board itself. I have found the Gicar DOS.3d5 boards in 2 and 3 group configurations. But, not in a single. Could I use one of these for my machine? On the surface, All I can see that is different is a pin header that I would have to leave open.
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 18, 2013, 6:57am

If your wiring is per the electrical code, a 220 v outlet will be differently shaped and only a 220 v plug will fit into it. A 4 wire outlet can provide both 220 and 120 v so the machine can use the 220 for the heater where it is less expensive to operate that way and 110 for the pump and electronics etc.

Depending on how it is wired a 3 wire outlet can also provide both voltages but the machine will need to be grounded seperately.

You will need to ask the question about the Gicar box to the people selling the box to be sure. On first thought, I am inclined to agree with your understanding of the situation but I am not able to say one way or the other.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Would you mind...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.313259840012)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+