Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
To backflush a Gaggia Classic or not to backflush?
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > To backflush a...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
floepie

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF
Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013, 2:21pm
Subject: To backflush a Gaggia Classic or not to backflush?

So today I inquired about blind filter availability via email with a trusted espresso machine dealer.  They came back with advice not to backflush with this particular machine because of the internals made with aluminum.  Apparently, the cleaning agent typically used with the backflushing can wear away aluminum.  It sounds like sound advice, but to what extent are we talking about here, given the exposure to said solution is so relatively short?  Is this something to be genuinely concerned about?  I've also learned that Gaggia themselves say to avoid this cleansing maneuver.  Yet, I see many backflush tutorials and vids specifically using the Classic.
 View Profile Link to this post
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013, 2:43pm
Subject: Re: To backflush a Gaggia Classic or not to backflush?

Let's start with the fact that the solution you will backflush with is a detergent (Cafiza is a good one) and would have no negative impact whatsoever on aluminum.  
Actually since that was the only reason they gave for you NOT to backflush, you can just ignore them and do it.  Or, of course, you can continue drinking dirty coffee.....:-))))
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013, 3:12pm

"To backflush a Gaggia Classic or not to backflush?"  That is a question???

YES!  Backflush it!!!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
SJM

Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013, 3:20pm

Does anyone have any idea where this bizarre misinformation (that backflushing is a bad thing) got its start????
It boggles my mind.

I keep reading that vendors are telling buyers that backflushing will void their warrantees.  Is that really true or is it just misinformation that is getting passed along???
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013, 7:58pm

I back flushed mine as scheduled maintenance for five years and it never hurt a thing. Whoever told you that didnt know what
they were talking about.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Oct 21, 2013, 8:16pm

SJM Said:

Does anyone have any idea where this bizarre misinformation (that backflushing is a bad thing) got its start????
It boggles my mind.

I keep reading that vendors are telling buyers that backflushing will void their warrantees.  Is that really true or is it just misinformation that is getting passed along???

Posted October 21, 2013 link

Here is an article on the WLL site that talks about backflush and noted the manufacturer recommends against backflush.  I have seen it written on other sites about Gaggia.  I am only noting how the concept got started and keeps getting spread.  I backflush.

Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
VanHlebar

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Brataza Vario
Roaster: Bohemor 1600
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 10:04am

So then I have maybe a really "dumb" question. Sorry...but just how does one backflush the classic then? Do I need to purchase something as since the manufacturer suggests NOT to do it, I am guessing I don't have the required equipment to perform it?

Sorry for the really basic question here...
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
SJM

Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 10:18am

Check it out here:
Click Here (www.gaggiausersgroup.com)
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Wed Oct 23, 2013, 12:10pm

Not that I am a guru and only having my classic a short time, whats the difference of doing a backflush and the OPV operation of during a backflush or even pulling a shot. I think once the pump hits a dead end the opv pops open and drains off. This could happen on both pulling a shot and a blind basket. Does anything beside water go thru the OPV?
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 5:10pm

Whoever is giving you such information regarding the aluminum corrosion is severely mistaken.  They are mixing up what occurs with, and what chemicals are used, during backflushing and descaling.  

When you backflush, you use a detergent.  Modern detergents are much like the soaps of old made with lye and fats.  The same rules apply, these chemicals remove oily residues.  When you backflush, NO CHEMICALS HIT THE BOILER.  Think about it, when that solenoid valve opens up the point is to relieve the pressure in the PF by allowing it to vent down a tube into another reservoir (like a drip tray).  If the fluid found its way back into the boiler....well that wouldn't be good at all because the following shots would be affected.  To put the story all together, the Gaggia boiler is what's aluminum.  So, even if the detergent did harm aluminum (and it doesn't), it wouldn't matter anyway.

The dealer giving you that advice is mixing up backflushing with descaling.  Descaling chemicals are acids (usually citric acid or tartaric acid).  These chemicals are mixed with water, put into the water reservoir, and run through the entire machine (boiler and all).  Acids do harm aluminum so you'll want to do some research on the proper way to descale a Gaggia machine (I employ a weaker acid solution for shorter periods of time) to avoid such problems.  

As others have mentioned, Gaggia recommends against backflushing.  We aren't too sure why this is.  The most believable reason I can think of is that Gaggia is worried about hot liquid splashing around and leading to injury...who knows.  The weirdest thing is that Gaggia actually makes an acid-based descaler that can, indeed, harm the machine if not used properly.

I backflush once a week and descale every 2 months but it depends on how many shots you make and how hard your water is, respectively.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > To backflush a...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.375464916229)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+