Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Keep what I have, CC1, or something else?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Keep what I...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
keithd
keithd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: KA w/Mazzer burrs, Hario...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 1:44pm
Subject: Re: Keep what I have, CC1, or something else?

Well, all the two or more group machines were 220V on ebay that I saw. I did see some 1 group machines, but two+ seems to be more prevalent.

You're right in that I won't be buying through ebay, I'll have to scour the used restaurant equipment stores if I ever go commercial.
 View Profile Link to this post
keithd
keithd

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 2:42pm

Update -

I went and bought the CC1 from DeanOK. Tried one shot at his house - tasted great! I've tried two shots so far and ran out of time. Running into the problem of spraying all over with the bottomless portafilter, but having seen it pull one good shot, I know it's a problem with my grind or technique, most likely grind as I had my grinder set to its finest setting. I'll back it off a bit. Maybe after dinner I'll try again.
friendlyfoe

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 3:33pm

30 lbs of pressure with the tamper, 20-30 seconds on your brew time to brew 2 ounces. Make sure your tamp is level (watching video of pro barista winners i now use my fingers to level off the ground coffee before tamping)

If it takes more/less time to brew two ounces adjust either your tamp or grind. Are you using fresh beans?
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 3:54pm

keithd Said:

Update -

I went and bought the CC1 from DeanOK. Tried one shot at his house - tasted great! I've tried two shots so far and ran out of time. Running into the problem of spraying all over with the bottomless portafilter, but having seen it pull one good shot, I know it's a problem with my grind or technique, most likely grind as I had my grinder set to its finest setting. I'll back it off a bit. Maybe after dinner I'll try again.

Posted October 27, 2013 link

Keith:  The shot you had at my house was about 36 grams yield from 17 grams of ground coffee in around 25 or 27 seconds if I remember correctly. That was probably about 1.75 ounces on the calibrated shot glass immediately after the shot.  My tamper is calibrated at 30 lbs. The shot you had here wasn't prefect... it did spritz a bit at the first. Practice a bit and you will get there unless your grinder is not up to the task. I am not familiar with the grinder you have.
keithd
keithd

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 4:01pm

Beans were roasted on the 17th of October, and I ground 2-3 minutes before brewing. I measured out 18.0 grams of coffee.

I just need to take the time to get things right.
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 4:28pm

The Proline with Maz Burrs, some have had ok luck, others like no luck/bad luck trying to dial in so not sure if that may be your issue. Seems even with Mazzer Burrs it can be hard to dial. Actually kinda sucks as it is a cool ass looking grinder to have out on the counter and I actually thought of getting one and doing the swap before I got the preciso.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 5:52pm

I keep my proline because it works well for drip and yeah...it looks good.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
keithd
keithd

Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 7:29pm

Well, took the adjustment knob apart and set it so the "finest" setting is two clicks finer than before. Still sprays, but significantly less than at first. The shot taste is less bitter, too.

I'll try more adjustments tomorrow, SWMBO has gone to bed. At least I have some hope for getting this right.
keithd
keithd

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 4:17pm

Okay, pulled a few shots tonight.

The spraying is mostly to completely gone. I'm having an almost opposite issue now in that extraction is taking far too long. I think I need to adjust my grind and tamp - it looks a little too fine and I think my tamp is far above 30 lbs. I tried a slight nutating tamp and it seems to have changed things a bit. I'm also trying to hit 15.0 grams of coffee in the portafilter - the consistency can't hurt.
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 5:12pm

keithd Said:

Okay, pulled a few shots tonight.

The spraying is mostly to completely gone. I'm having an almost opposite issue now in that extraction is taking far too long. I think I need to adjust my grind and tamp - it looks a little too fine and I think my tamp is far above 30 lbs. I tried a slight nutating tamp and it seems to have changed things a bit. I'm also trying to hit 15.0 grams of coffee in the portafilter - the consistency can't hurt.

Posted October 28, 2013 link

are you weighing your beans? The CC1 has a stock double basket that's on the large side, can go up to 20g depending on roast/bean type. I've found 16-18g works nice for me.

You may have to play with your tamp, the Proline doesn't have the adjustability far as I know to tweak the grind while keeping tamp the same the way a stepless does or one that acts stepless like the Baratzas.
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Keep what I...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.403208971024)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+