Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Infuser, CC1 or Breville Double Boiler?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
Author Messages
JohnLyn
JohnLyn
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: La Spaziale Mini Vivaldy
Grinder: Vario
Drip: Bonavita
Roaster: Toastess popper
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 8:40am
Subject: Re: Breville Infuser, CC1 or Breville Double Boiler?

Coffeenoobie Said:

If I am not mistaken Johnlynn had 4 BDBs before he gave up on them.

Posted November 2, 2013 link

That is correct. I grew tired of repackaging and Breville offered a refund. This is how I discovered that reliability and serviceability are important to me. I am not terribly handy but I can follow directions well from a tech on the line. I threw out the box for my Mini. I had one minor issue that was solved by a tech listening on speaker phone. That is what Breville cannot offer, and I have discovered that it is what I value.
 View Profile Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 9:30am

Those are some of the wisest words on this whole discussion Ive heard and have been voiced by calblacksmith also. What is a track record worth to you? A lot I think.
You now have a machine that years from now you KNOW will be doing what it supposed to , with proper maintenance and a possible part replaced by you if needed.

JohnLyn Said:

That is correct. I grew tired of repackaging and Breville offered a refund. This is how I discovered that reliability and serviceability are important to me. I am not terribly handy but I can follow directions well from a tech on the line. I threw out the box for my Mini. I had one minor issue that was solved by a tech listening on speaker phone. That is what Breville cannot offer, and I have discovered that it is what I value.

Posted November 3, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 9:56am

JohnLyn Said:

gotta admit that was a fluke going through all those machines, if I remember it was something with the machine not playing right with house electrical. That was so odd, you had techs test the house and couldn't figure it out and neither could Breville. Not to stick up for Breville but I know quite a few owners of them down here with no issues since they launched, some had the minor things early on that you could fix yourself or Breville would replace (like tweaking the opv). Gotta admit the italians and others could learn a thing or two from them, look at the issues people have had with way more expensive and getting them fixed under warranty can be like squeezing blood from a turnip. Brev would just replace fast no questions asked.

like my one bud when he got started I told him to get a Gaggia Classic, first was doa lol, and 2nd would never work right and leaked even helped him try to fix it but no point. Used the credit towards a BDB and then put it in the office and grabbed another for his house. Office one is used non stop all day like 2.5 years, he descaled himself vs sending to Breville though.

would I still buy one, pry not, but its a kick ass machine for the price. And kind of stands alone now since the Cudra has gone up in price (was an insane deal when it was on special) And Breville is def listening to customers as the new model they'll allow to descale without voiding warranty. But the BDB is the only one worth buying imo, not a fan of their lower end machines.

I do wish other companies implemented PID screens like the CC1 and BDB, like the shot timer is priceless vs trying to use my phone or timer.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 12:31pm

In the end it's either a gamble or like joining a espresso co-op where you buy in
for 1000 dollars and get replacements forever . Just the idea that you send them in
for routine maintenance is weird. They aren't mainstream and they have quality control
issues . Four machines,do you know the odds of getting a bad one four times? It's not good.
jonr

Expertise: I like coffee
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 1:26pm

Iluvdabean Said:

Four machines,do you know the odds of getting a bad one four times? It's not good.

I didn't look for details, but generically, I agree, unless they were all from the same flawed batch.  Far more likely that it was some interaction between the machines and a unique environment or usage pattern.  Store's wouldn't carry them if the average return rate was even a small fraction of that.
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 2:39pm

Thats a good point and needs to be factored into the equation.

jonr Said:

I didn't look for details, but generically, I agree, unless they were all from the same flawed batch.  Far more likely that it was some interaction between the machines and a unique environment or usage pattern.  Store's wouldn't carry them if the average return rate was even a small fraction of that.

showing page 6 of 6 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.423660039902)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+