Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Infuser, CC1 or Breville Double Boiler?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
Author Messages
Cafeshio

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Cunill El Cafe Tranquilo
Vac Pot: wha..?
Drip: My fawcet
Roaster: Car without a rof?
Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 2:59pm
Subject: Breville Infuser, CC1 or Breville Double Boiler?

Hello, now that I have my grinders (Cunill) I'm ready to pull the trigger on the machine but I'm undecided among these 3 fine specimens.
I will want to learn latte art, but the main use will be for my daily latte @ breakfast. Ocassionally, will entertain guests, and may need to pull 6-10 shots in a short period of time.
I adore crema and I have zero experience with pulling shots.
Any advice greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 3:50pm
Subject: Re: Breville Infuser, CC1 or Breville Double Boiler?

I say...none of the above!

Here you go:

http://seattle.craigslist.org/see/app/4097551944.html
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 4:01pm

Dude there is a 250 Oscar for sale in portland, it is all I can do not to get it for back up.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
friendlyfoe

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 4:27pm

Big grain of salt*** i'm in the same boat you are and very new to this, but here's the coles notes version of what i've learned in the last week on this site.

If you're considering the BDB i'd suggest going through the 5 pages of my thread where i've gone from being just about ready to buy a BDB, to deciding i dont want one. I think the BDB is potentially a great machine as long as you dont mind returning them until you get a good one, and only expect it to last for 5 years at the most. They have had a lot of problems so while you may get a working one on the first try you need to accept that it may need to be returned 1-2-5 times.

Those oscars are a great deal! People aren't quick to tell you that when you first turn it on you need to be there to turn on the steam wand (otherwise it doesn't pressurize properly) and to expect a 45 minute warm up. That being said i've been getting the impression that to just leave the machine on 24/7 is about the same cost as leaving a light bulb on. I hope someone will correct me if thats not accurate though!

If you're dead set on buying new, of your 3 choices CC1 as long as you only plan on making milk based drinks once in a while. If you plan on making milk based drinks all the time, i would suggest getting the used oscar.
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 11:27pm

Jesus, Helen go grab it! If it works then you can put them on your counter and race them like Plindy does.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 11:03am

If I had the cash I would EVEN if it just lights up and nothing else. But I just spent $$$ last week on the new grinder.  I have used my espresso upgrade budget for the next year.   And I really don't have the space to set it up, maybe at work..... I really need one at work, damn why did I buy that grinder??? oh because I needed it more than a back up machine.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 12:27pm

While it is nice to have multiple machines (you know I do!)  You made the right decision on the grinder!

Op
While there are members who are happy with Breville, they are not really high quality machines and the infuser os the lowest of the range  as it is a thermoblock machine.

Oscar is several steos up from any Breville machine.

CC1 is a quality machine and is worthy of consideration.

Please read the stickey to help us get you where you want to go:-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 1:34pm

Calblacksmith...yep thats how I feel.

calblacksmith Said:

Oscar is several steps up from any Breville machine.

Posted October 27, 2013 link

View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
Cafeshio

Espresso: Breville Dual Boiler
Grinder: Cunill El Cafe Tranquilo
Vac Pot: wha..?
Drip: My fawcet
Roaster: Car without a rof?
Posted Sun Oct 27, 2013, 10:34pm

OK, thanks for the initial responses. Here are the replies to the sticky:

1.What kind of drinks do you like/want to make?
Espresso, machiatto, latte art.

2.How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself needing to make at any one time?
Max would probably be 6 to 10 shots, or 4 lattes

3.How many drinks, on average, do you see yourself making in any given week?
10-14 regular lattes per week (breakfast) + couple of espresso shots after dinner now and then.

4.Can you plumb a machine directly into the water supply, or do you want/need a pour over machine with its own reservoir?
Plumbing is not a realistic option at this point.

5.Do you have a 20-amp circuit available, or only a (standard) 15-amp circuit?
I have whatever the kitchen already has - call it 15A in a GFCA outlet.

6.What is your budget for a new machine?  Does that also include a grinder?  If not, what is your budget for a grinder?
$1000 without grinder - already have a grinder Cunill El Café Tranquilo

7.Does it have to be espresso or just the best cup of coffee possible?
Espresso with lots of crema

I understand the Oscar has good reputation but honestly I just don't like the looks. I've thought hard about this and while form should follow function, having to look at a machine that I don't like will have a psychological toll on the cup, so unless you were to tell me that there is no way I can get a good cup of coffee with my shortlisted machines then I'd rather not go there.

Also, beyond aesthetics is pragmatism. I would love, love, love a La Marzocco GS3, a Rocket R58, a Brewtus IV, a Cellini, a Mini Vivaldi or an Epoca, but they are simply out of range, might as well wish for a Ferrari or a trip to the ISS.

I understand that Breville is like Ford while the others are more like a Rolls Royce or an MG - handmade, art-like craftsmanship, maybe finicky but superb when truly understood. Point is, at $1000 I don't see any Rolls available plus I am a newbie - I think there is value in removing variables from the equation so I can focus on getting great shots.

Many of you are obviously on a different stage, hence will find it harder to like a Breville; that is fine with me. But please be really critical and come down to my level and situation before bashing the product. I'm not trying to defend it. If it truly is a POS and that becomes obvious from your arguments, I will not buy a 900XL, but with so many positive reviews everywhere, I must try to sort out the natural biases from connoisseurs and see if it makes sense for me, not as the perfect machine for everyone. So, if you will, please help me understand which bells and whistles are key or irrelevant and why.

• 2 boilers - must have, nice to have, irrelevant?
  • PID - must have, nice to have, irrelevant?
  • Pre-infusion - mh, n2h, ir?
  • No temp surfing - mu, n2h, ir?
  • Auto on / no waiting around - mh, n2h, ir? (obvious this is a n2h, but don't underestimate the value of not having to wait for the machine to warm up every morning)
  • User descaling - mh, n2h, ir?
  • No thermoblock - mh, n2h, ir?

Other key items that I'm not considering?

Thanks a lot again!
Markarian
Markarian

Posted Mon Oct 28, 2013, 2:21am

The user biases against Breville are because they are mass-produced with cheaper plastic parts and aimed squarely at people who would rather just have espresso, rather than learn how to make espresso. Their grinder is mediocre and has steps that are too wide for the fine adjustments necessary for espresso.

Do not dismiss the Oscar so readily because of its looks until you see one in person. That plastic shell is really thick and inspires more confidence than you'd think. Imagine having cafe-level steam power at your command and a brew group that takes the same portafilters used in the World Barista Championship. Imagine being able to pull shot after shot while you master this craft and not wait for a boiler the size of a soda can to recharge every time. It may be an ugly little thing, but underneath it's got some serious commercial heritage that the Breville or CC1 cannot even touch. To me, knowing I was using the most professional tool available and not a wedding gift would outweigh its funky looks. You can always plaster it with band stickers. The Infuser uses a completely nonstandard PF size as well. Thanks, but no thanks. Don't be wooed by Breville's siren song. It looks lovely in your kitchen because that's what Breville is: a home appliance company. Nuova Simonelli doesn't care about aesthetics, they just wanted to bang out a NSF4-rated HX machine that could handle light cafe use, which is the Oscar. They're busy making 4 group machines costing tens of thousands of dollars while Breville makes blenders.

None of those features is absolutely necessary, but just keep in mind that these machines are for very light use. Breville is not held in high regard by our community, save for the Breville Dual Boiler, which is out of your price range. The CC1 is a really interesting little machine and I would recommend it to anyone who could not afford anything higher. I would probably rather have a CC1 than a Silvia.

Watch our video on the Oscar teardown, and go kick the tires on one at Seattle Coffee Gear or Simonelli's showroom down by the stadiums. Living in Seattle, you get great local support on Simonelli machines. And to drive home my sales pitch, my user avatar is a shot I pulled on my beloved Oscar before I gave it to my friend.

We are at a different level, it's true, but we desperately want to see you skip the heartache and headache of using toys when you could get your hands on a real piece of equipment that will make the journey easier.
showing page 1 of 6 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.445864915848)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+