Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New user searching for the best machine for 200$. New, refurbished or used?
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New user...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
johnd89

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Carezza
Grinder: SM95
Drip: phin, mokapot, frenchpress,...
Posted Tue Jun 3, 2008, 6:50pm
Subject: New user searching for the best machine for 200$. New, refurbished or used?

Hi,

Newbie here: right now I have a cheap kenmore burr grinder and a couple bialetti stovetops plus a drip machine...

Total budget is 350$
The plan is to buy a maestro plus grinder and a 200$ tops espresso  machine to get my started. I'm narrowing down to the carezza machine (new).

Should I look into a more expensive but refurbished or used machine which is substantially better?

what about a machine which has the grinder built-in?
Click Here (cgi.ebay.com)
or
http://www.wholelattelove.com/Espressione/cafe_roma.cfm

Any advice is welcome!
PS: I understand those may be the questions everyone asks, just wanted to make sure I'm not doing anything dumb here;-)

J
 View Profile Link to this post
TimEggers
TimEggers
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: QM Anita, Cappuccino Amore
Grinder: Baratza Vario, Mazzer SJ
Vac Pot: Antique McKee, Santos
Drip: Pour Over, Bodum Presses
Roaster: RK Drum
Posted Tue Jun 3, 2008, 9:40pm
Subject: Re: New user searching for the best machine for 200$. New, refurbished or used?

Hi John!  First welcome to coffeegeek its great to have you with us.

Now that you're one of the bunch I would highly recommend you take a look at "How to Buy an Espresso Machine" (if you haven't already).  Its full of excellent advice and can help you out.

In short I would recommend a far better grinder.  I used a Solis Maestro Plus/Gaggia Coffee Deluxe espresso machine and the results were lack luster at best.

When it comes to espresso the grinder is everything.  This is the most important theme with regards to home espresso.  Why?  Simply because espresso demands a good quality grind and without it the results will taste bad (even in milk) and will also be inconsistent.  Do yourself a favor an invest in a better grinder before buying any espresso machine.  Common recommendations are the Cunill's, Rancilio Rocky, or Mazzer (Mini, Super Jolly or Major models).  Also look at the Quickmill grinder or Le'Lit-pl53 for options closer to the price of the SMP.  I hope sticker shock doesn't set in but a good espresso grinder is vital and the investment now will reward you every time you make a shot later.

Again welcome and best of luck.  If you have more questions please post away, we are all here to help!

Tim Eggers
http://www.facebook.com/TimEggers
http://twitter.com/Tim_Eggers
http://www.youtube.com/user/TimEggers
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
johnd89

Espresso: Carezza
Grinder: SM95
Drip: phin, mokapot, frenchpress,...
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 5:16pm
Subject: Re: New user searching for the best machine for 200$. New, refurbished or used?

5 years later update...
In 2010 I have ended up getting a gaggia carezza off ebay for some 130ish and the baratza maestro.
even tweaking the maestro it simply couldn't deliver nice espresso (was not grinding fine enough)
so pulled the trigger and got a san marco sm95 (ebay again, 300 + shipping....) what a difference!
so turned around and sold the maestro for 75. awsome little grinder still grinded like new but the 95 is an absolute beast
now I have better chances at espressos.
thanks so much for the help, I just wished I would have listened, but did'nt really realised what I have missed.
live and learn I guess...
Pagetta

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 5:32pm

Better late than never! I'm a new user as
of 2013. I'm looking for my first beginner setup within a budget of $500, however,
after reading numerous coffeegeek threads
my plan is to invest in a good grinder and continue
using my stove top until I have enough for a decent
semi automatic espresso machine.
friendlyfoe

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 5:44pm

Pagetta Said:

Better late than never! I'm a new user as
of 2013. I'm looking for my first beginner setup within a budget of $500, however,
after reading numerous coffeegeek threads
my plan is to invest in a good grinder and continue
using my stove top until I have enough for a decent
semi automatic espresso machine.

Posted October 30, 2013 link

I can attest to what i'm commonly reading in beginner espresso articles that point out how you can make good espresso with an expensive grinder and a 10 dollar machine (disclaimer :as long as its not thermoblock), but not the other way around. The smallest of adjustment in my grinder make big changes to the resulting espresso.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Oct 30, 2013, 5:58pm

We are very happy for the update.  And it is really good for people to hear the stories like yours and that they can relate to your struggle.  It helps them to see that even for someone that is starting out that the grinder is so important.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New user...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.373177051544)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+