Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
V2B noise
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > V2B noise  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Nov 2, 2013, 10:18pm
Subject: Re: V2B noise

Thanks for the explanation.  And no you were not saying it badly.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
dana_leighton
dana_leighton
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Isomac Relax; Caferina...
Grinder: Macap MXK; Baratza Vario-W;...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: Technivorm; CCD; Melitta
Roaster: Poppery I w/PID controller
Posted Sun Nov 3, 2013, 8:36am

pShoe Said:

Posted by Carlo in the mega thread. I felt it was worthwhile to cross post it here,

Posted November 2, 2013 link

Cross-posting is a violation of the forum rules. I am leaving this here, but in the future, if you need to refer to another thread's contents, please post a link instead.

Dana Leighton - Espresso hack and CoffeeGeek moderator
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Tonyv138

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 9:29am

OK I NEVER depressurise the brew cycle after brewing = difference in technique

Dave,
i changed the technique to match yours... still today after machine was heated with both boilers on, after lifting the brew handle up, it was making the GRR noise, the pressure was at 0. I let it do this for 2-3 sec, lowered the handle, lifted again, and the pressure jumped up back to normal.
 View Profile Link to this post
CarloM

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 12:32pm

I too never depressurize after brewing. My post-latte regiment includes:
  1. 1oz Cleaning flush and wipe of the shower screen
  2. Another 1oz cleaning flush
  3. Every 2-3 drinks I do a full 7second clean water backflush with the insert disc in place
  4. Every week I drop the shower screen, head and gasket and clean it all
    The cavitation sound happens regardless of whether I do #3 or #4

In the interest of continuing to diagnose what may be causing the cavitation sound, here are two more videos I shot this morning. The first one is from a cold start, the machine had been off for about 14 hours (6pm yesterday to 8am today)
  • Morning power up video - note how the autofill pump kicks on, which it used to frequently but in the last month only does it about 20% of the time. Also please listen to the sound of the pump as cold water is being flushed through the system. It's very different from the sound when the machine is hot. Does everyone's pump sound different when pulling cold water through the system?
  • Second video after 35 minute warmup - here's 35 minutes later as I'm getting ready to make my latte. Note how unlike the first cavitation video I posted, the duration of the cavitation sound is much shorter (less than a second?) perhaps due to the autofill a half hour earlier? Finally, as in the first video, the mic on my phone is very sensitive and that first cavitation sound is not as jarring as it sounds in the video.
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 2:03pm

I just heard from Tim at CCS.  He said he just sent another email to Italy, meaning Quick Mill, I would guess.

He hasn't heard anything from them about the noise problem but maybe they are doing tests to try to come up with a solution.

Anyone else heard anything?  Carlo?
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 2:24pm

JaniceAnn Said:

I just heard from Tim at CCS.  He said he just sent another email to Italy, meaning Quick Mill, I would guess.

He hasn't heard anything from them about the noise problem but maybe they are doing tests to try to come up with a solution.

Anyone else heard anything?  Carlo?

Posted November 4, 2013 link

I am really surprised that we have not heard from someone by now. It doesn't seem like it would be a big deal to fix. I feel that some of the ones I have heard are actually louder because the pump motor bracket is vibrating when it does it. My life is like burning a candle at both ends right now or I would open it up and see if I could figure it out... but I opted to wait and see if CCS or QM put out a tech tip on it or something. I think mine is not as bad as some others. Mine only does it when I leave the machine on for hours without using it. For now, I plan on ignoring it and just waiting to hear what is causing it.
pShoe

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 2:31pm

CarloM Said:

Does everyone's pump sound different when pulling cold water through the system?

Yes, mine sounds different when pulling cold water through the group.
CarloM

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 2:41pm

Got your same message Janice. Don't overly worry about things, they're on the job and CCS's track record is very good. I know it can be hard waiting but CCS does have to wait for responses from Italy. I did send them my other video of the sound of the pump when the machine is cold, but given how pShoe says his does it too, I'm not sure if that's going to be helpful.
JaniceAnn

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 4, 2013, 4:13pm

CarloM Said:

Got your same message Janice. Don't overly worry about things, they're on the job and CCS's track record is very good. I know it can be hard waiting but CCS does have to wait for responses from Italy. I did send them my other video of the sound of the pump when the machine is cold, but given how pShoe says his does it too, I'm not sure if that's going to be helpful.

I did mention, in my reply, that CCS might want to check out this thread and the other one too and see what people are saying, what has been recommended to try and the results.  I thought that might help them figure out what the problem is.

I am sure they are working on it but it does seem to be taking a while to get a solution.  It will probably turn out to be a simple fix when they figure it out.
CarloM

Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 1:27pm

Does anyone else's machine "slurp" when it heats up?
I admit when I'm warming up the machine I usually walk away so I don't hear all of the normal sounds that go on, but right now I'm listening to the steam boiler heating up (my brew boiler has already reached temp) and I'm hearing a slurping/sucking sound as it reaches its 255F temp. A sound akin to when you're drinking soda out of a straw and the soda is just about gone and you're sucking in mostly air and very little soda. I'm wondering if this could be an air source for the cavitation sound we're hearing?
showing page 2 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > V2B noise  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.374508857727)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+