Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
V2B noise
Gourmet Organic Coffee
Temblor is a smooth high-grown Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice and chocolate.
thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > V2B noise  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
DavecUK

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 4:21pm
Subject: Re: V2B noise

OK, I think I may have an answer as to what's going on, but I need to do more tests.

My machine didn't do it, but I believe I have managed to induce a situation where it now does it......I need to test for longer to see if it continues doing it and then see if I can reverse what I did and get the machine acting as it was before, where it didn't make that noise. it is to do with pump cavitation and air, but not in the way you may think.....more to come. The problem came from a peculiar situation which i discovered during testing that affects La Spaziale Vivaldi machines and in a similar way for different reasons might be causing the "harmless" effect on the QM machines. I don't know what QM will feed back to Chris Coffee, but if I'm right I can tell QM how to fix.

P.S. Just tried what I think is the cure for existing machines, which took all of 3 minutes, now just to see if my machine is back to normal......which will take a few days.
 View Profile Link to this post
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 5:40pm

Keeping my fingers crossed, thank you so much for investigating, Dave!
CurtG

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Quick Mill V2B
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Hario Nouveau Syphon
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 5:40pm

CarloM Said:

Does everyone's pump sound different when pulling cold water through the system?

Posted November 4, 2013 link

Mine also sounds a bit different when cold.  I don't seem to get the Grr you get when pressure is building up after activating the pump though.  Do you think it's some part of the pump motor touching?  If it's not too hot, try feeling the case on the right side as you activate the pump.
sharky
sharky

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Compak K3 Touch
Posted Tue Nov 5, 2013, 5:49pm

Thanks DavecUK!  You are always there when we need you!
DavecUK

Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 8:16am

CurtG Said:

Mine also sounds a bit different when cold.  I don't seem to get the Grr you get when pressure is building up after activating the pump though.  Do you think it's some part of the pump motor touching?  If it's not too hot, try feeling the case on the right side as you activate the pump.

Posted November 5, 2013 link

No, and the pumps/group do sound different when their cold, a little bit more hissy (on all rotary e61 machines).

I tried my quick fix, but it didn't work due to the orientation of things in the machine. However, for sure i can now understand what you guys are experiencing as I get the noise briefly most of the time I lift the lever if the machine has been standing for even a few minutes after pulling a shot. Once I have used it, it's then fine, until i let it stand. I think this is what a lot of you have been experiencing to a greater or lesser degree.

I therefore resorted to my slightly slower, more hasssle fix, which requires removal of the case back and water tank carrier (but not the sides) and takes around 30m it actually took me 10 minutes, but I suspect it might take you double that or a bit more, because you won't be as familiar with the machine as me. I now have to wait a while to see if it has fixed the noise. It should work fine, because it reverses what I did to induce the noise. I don't want to say what I have done yet, until I am sure I am not going to have people doing thing that are wasting their time and the risk of them introducing problems with the machine. I would also perhaps prefer that Chris read it and that when I post you guys contact Chris to get his approval for the procedure I will outline....because he holds the warranty.
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 8:48am

Dave,
My machine drops pressure while this noise occurs, and when the noise is gone, the pressure builds up again.
CarloM

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Vetrano V2B
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-E Type A, SJ...
Drip: Toddy
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 11:26am

Slightly bummer news Dave, but I'm keeping the faith. I know we already ask a lot of you, but if the 30 minute fix turns out to be the solution, would it be possible for you to either provide a step-by-step for how to do it? I'm no dummy around machines, but I'm nowhere near the expert you are, and the only espresso machine I've ever disassembled was a Silvia and that is an order of magnitude less complicated than the V2B.

Many, many thanks for all that you have done (and are doing) for us. I'd love not to have to ship my V2B back to CCS if I can open it up and fix it myself.
Tonyv138

Espresso: V2B
Grinder: Mazzer SJ
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 12:27pm

Dave, is it possible that the brew motor is slow to start (while GRR is on)? I started to think of this because i noticed the following:

1. pressure drop while GRR is happening

2. today while making a brew, i heard GRR, pressure was dropping, then something clicked inside V2B (sounded like a relay engaging). GRR noise disappeared immediately after, and pressure went up...

thanks
DeanOK
DeanOK
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 12:31pm

My machine also drops pressure while it is making the noise when the brew handle is lifted. The pressure also fluctuates around a bit up and down and once the pressure stabilizes at full pressure, the noise goes away.
DavecUK

Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 12:50pm

CarloM Said:

Slightly bummer news Dave, but I'm keeping the faith. I know we already ask a lot of you, but if the 30 minute fix turns out to be the solution, would it be possible for you to either provide a step-by-step for how to do it? I'm no dummy around machines, but I'm nowhere near the expert you are, and the only espresso machine I've ever disassembled was a Silvia and that is an order of magnitude less complicated than the V2B.

Many, many thanks for all that you have done (and are doing) for us. I'd love not to have to ship my V2B back to CCS if I can open it up and fix it myself.

Posted November 7, 2013 link

Oh god no, you won't have to ship it back. once you got the case off its a 3 minute fix. If you had the correct tools ready and were reasonably DIY competent (as most Americans seem to be, better than us in UK at least). Then it's going to take you 10 minutes. If you are clueless, it might take you 30. However, definitely not worth the risk of shipping it back for such a little thing. As for all the posts about pressure dropping....yup, exactly what I would expect. Mine now though does seem back to normal, so I'm happy, I just want to give it a bit longer though, before I post.

Funnily enough while making a latte for my wife I was steaming milk and pulling the shot and thinking....I never used to do this on other machines, in case the steam boiler autofill came on and spoiled the shot. Isn't it great that the Verona prevents the steam boiler from autofilling, whilst a shot is being pulled, then I thought of the brass boiler and build quality, the combined Vac breaker and saftey valve and all the other things. Looked at my Duetto on the other counter (unused for months) and thought....I really got to put that in a box, and store it next to my R58 dual boiler in the workshop!

Don't worry about the sound, because it's not harming anything (and I actually think all of you will have it sorted by Sunday and I still think you got waay the best machine in the standard consumer Dual Boiler prosumer price bracket. There is loads to love about it.
showing page 3 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > V2B noise  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Barista Tools
Large selection of tampers, pitchers, milk frothers and much more!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.404461860657)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+