Espresso: Espresso Machines
New CC1 vs 2 year old Oscar?
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repair - Parts - Sales
Factory Authorized &
Trained Technician
www.espressocare.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New CC1 vs 2...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
jwoodyu
jwoodyu
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Allex Duetto II
Grinder: Mazzer Major
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 1:49pm
Subject: Re: New CC1 vs 2 year old Oscar?

calblacksmith Said:

Like the Oscar, without a hot water tap, it is still easy to get hot water, just put the empty PF / basket into the group head and "pull" the water. Until I got my M32 with the blended hot water tap (it blends cold water with the boiler water to a nice 180f) I would "pull" hot water on my ECM as much as from the boiler. It DOES have a tap but I liked the slightly cooler water from the group head more than the steam/water that you draw from most machines boilers. YMMV!

Posted November 6, 2013 link

Wifey pulls water from the group for tea ;-)

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
 View Profile Link to this post
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 2:20pm

zelig Said:

I primarily want to use the machine for espresso (an average of 2-3 shots a day) and perhaps an occasional latte.

Posted November 4, 2013 link

boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 5:29pm

It's good practice to flush the boiler now and then to keep the water inside it fresh.  Whether or not you ever use water straight from the boiler for tea, soup, Americanos, or whatever, if you don't flush about half the volume every couple of days the steam will taste flat and after a few more days impart a funky flavor to your milk.

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 8:11pm

I wonder where all this talk about Oscar's group head not being stable started?  I hear it tossed around like fact when I have not seen anything that makes me think it is the tin foil you guys are making it out to be.   More brass is not the only answer to over heating that is inherent in espresso machines and thermosyhon that is well balanced is one of them.  

Oscar is not perfect and needs improvement. The thermosyhon is not balanced, and  so I got a rising temp profile before modding.  I could taste the heat spike on slow pulls.  But it is really nice since putting in restricters. Plindy measured his temps and my experience and taste buds agree that a tiny tweak (mod that we did) makes the temp rock solid for the full 30 second pull with tiny flushes.  

I wish NS would add a vacuum breaker and the restricters on the new Oscars.  That would not cost much but it would really make them worth the new price.  And still not compete with Musica.  I am glad I don't have a huge "burn me" group head to worry about in my tiny kitchen.

If astro pro has a vacuum breaker on it then I would get that for the same money over oscar with all other things being equal.  But watch your fingers, stainless gets hot.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Wed Nov 6, 2013, 9:42pm

boar_d_laze Said:

It's good practice to flush the boiler now and then to keep the water inside it fresh.  Whether or not you ever use water straight from the boiler for tea, soup, Americanos, or whatever, if you don't flush about half the volume every couple of days the steam will taste flat and after a few more days impart a funky flavor to your milk.

BDL

Quick call the myth busters.

Yes i have a reason for leaving SCG off my list, yes it is my opinion, yes it is subjective as opinions are by definition, no don't start a flame war because you disagree.
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 3:14am

I have only had funky steam after pulling the Oscar out of mothballs after four months (it still works fine, just has a couple small leaks).
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 12:02pm

I shouldn't have used the word "flush," it's ambiguous.  I didn't mean a complete flush and should have said "it's a good idea to run some water and/or steam through the boiler on a regular basis.  I've found that if you use (or empty) about half the boiler's volume every other day, it heads off a lot of taste problems, and does a little to delay a lime-scale "fill line" from forming as well.  

Worth mentioning also, that if you want your brew water, tap water and steam to taste good, you have to use good water to begin with.  A lot of municipal tap-water is problematic.

On a more personal note, I certainly don't know everything, but somehow have managed to blunder my way into making good espresso since the mid-seventies using a bunch of different machines, and resent the Myth Busters comment.  If you disagree with me, fine; just say so.  Better yet, say why and make your case.  We can all do without the snark.  

BDL
jwoodyu
jwoodyu

Posted Thu Nov 7, 2013, 4:30pm

boar_d_laze Said:

On a more personal note, I certainly don't know everything

Posted November 7, 2013 link

Really?

boar_d_laze Said:

With respect, this comment makes no sense.  "Sour" isn't an inherent artifact of the machine, it's a product of brewing too cold. The CC1 allows for easy, consistent temperature adjustment.

Posted November 5, 2013 link

Seem cut and dried that a machine cannot be responsible sour even if it is brewing at to cool a temp and anything else is nonsense.

boar_d_laze Said:

Also, important to note that CC1 -- like most espresso machines with a dedicated, PID controlled brew boiler -- requires a "warm up flush" before brewing.

Posted November 5, 2013 link

The nonsensical member could not have accounted for this in testing therefore the results are invalid.

boar_d_laze Said:

if you don't flush about half the volume every couple of days the steam will taste flat and after a few more days impart a funky flavor to your milk

Your opinion should be accepted as fact, not challenged as nonsensical or myth while all others have to be substantiated.

I really donít know what i was thinking posting a reply, qualified with IMO and about my own experience with a particular machine and not expect to get told I am wrong about my own experiences by folks that canít stand the same in return. I would buy a brand new CC1 just to do the test over again but I know it would just end the same way.

I would however like to hear about your personal experiences with these two machines. I promise no snark.

EricBNC
EricBNC
Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: QM Silvano, LP Stradivarius,...
Grinder: K30, Major, Preciso, Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Sunbeam C30, Bodum Santos...
Drip: Bonavita BV-1800,...
Roaster: Behmor, Melitta, Fresh...
Posted Fri Nov 8, 2013, 1:55am

I went quickly from the Oscar to my Silvano from Quickmill - zero regrets here...

I chew coffee beans with my teeth while gargling with 195 F water to enjoy coffee. What is this "coffee brewing" device you speak of?
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New CC1 vs 2...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.461694955826)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+