Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Keep what I have, CC1, or something else?
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Keep what I...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Bezzera Magica, Mypressi...
Grinder: K10PB, Vario, Hario Slim
Vac Pot: I have a Dyson vacuum, but,...
Drip: Aeropress, Bialetti Brikka,...
Posted Fri Nov 8, 2013, 3:54pm
Subject: Re: Keep what I have, CC1, or something else?

I have a Hario Mini Mill and made it stepless with Burner0000 's advice. However, it requires an M6 posilock nut, as opposed to the M8 for the Skerton. Also, I'm still waiting to buy my home espresso setup, so I haven't used it to grind for espresso. I currently use it for my Moka pot and drip needs. So the Mini Mill can be modded to stepless.
 View Profile Link to this post
keithd
keithd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: KA w/Mazzer burrs, Hario...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Fri Nov 8, 2013, 10:16pm

I ordered a Hario Mini Mill today. It was $28 shipped from Amazon.

I know it will be slow, but I want/need to see if I can get better grinds than what I have now. The big bonus is that when I go deployed again a year from now, I'll have a great grinder to take with me.
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Nov 8, 2013, 11:00pm

keithd Said:

I ordered a Hario Mini Mill today. It was $28 shipped from Amazon.

I know it will be slow, but I want/need to see if I can get better grinds than what I have now. The big bonus is that when I go deployed again a year from now, I'll have a great grinder to take with me.

Posted November 8, 2013 link

you'll have to make it stepless with the #6 nylock, otherwise you'll end up with gushers or chokers again. What about making the KA stepless?
keithd
keithd

Posted Sat Nov 9, 2013, 10:07am

I just did the stepless mod to the KA grinder.

I wrapped the adjuster's threads with teflon pipe tape, I flipped the detent pins, and cut a smooth plastic disk to block off the adjuster's teeth. I'll have to see how well it works out - probably better than the half-step clicks it had before.
keithd
keithd

Posted Tue Nov 12, 2013, 8:29pm

OK, final update to this thread as it's gotten too large and sidetracked I think.

Just got in the Hario Mini Mill. The first grind was far too coarse as I used someone's suggested grind setting, so into the Aeropress it went. Set it two clicks finer (not stepless yet), and BAMMO! A good shot from my CC1. It blonded too early I think, but it developed the single "downspout" much earlier than what I'd seen before. There also was a large amount of crema. I think just a smidge finer and I'd be right there. I really liked that I could cover the Mini base with the inverted PF, then invert both and all the grounds fall right into the basket. The manual portion was a chore, no lie, but it ground quite easily and I kinda need an arm workout. :-O

I'm really liking the Red Bird. Good roast/chocolatey notes (but I'm no tasting expert) so long as you don't pull a bad shot. Even works well IMO for Aeropress, I didn't try drip coffee.

All in all the KA Proline and the Hario Mini each have strengths and weaknesses. The CC1 will do its part as long as I do mine - PIDs, pre-soaks, and extraction timers won't help you if your grind and technique are bad.

Now I just need to be able to justify that HG One someday... :)
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 4:03pm

Keithd, did you end up modding your Hario Slim to stepless? If so, curious how it's working with your CC1. You mentioned going a little finer with the Hario might get you to a sweet spot.
keithd
keithd

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:50pm

Sorry for not keeping up with the thread.

I did mod the Hario Mini to stepless. I bought a M6 locknut that was recommended here, and I wonder if that person even owns a Mini! The M6 was too small. So I went to the garage and I had two regular nuts that threaded onto the shaft and just decided to use them in a jam nut configuration.

I can't even begin to claim I'm making "god shots", but I've had several good shots where there was tiger striping throughout the whole shot. It's harder to adjust with the jam nut vs a lock nut, but it is infinitely variable. I'm getting really close to the point where I can begin fiddling with pre-infusion settings. The only gripe I can make is that the spent grinds don't drop into the knockbox as a puck anymore. But the quality of the shots makes the crumbly grinds seem minor in comparison.

Does anyone know if the Hario Mini and Skerton use the same size burrs? I'd really like to get a hand grinder with a slightly larger burr as the Mini is SLOWWWW. I'm not giving it up as it produces great espresso and I've never seen a better travel grinder once made stepless, but grinding 18gm by hand can take nearly 2 minutes on a slow day. BTW - I'd have bought the Lido 2 already if it were available. Seems like a perfect portable/mini grinder.

Too bad there's only 2 larger burr hand grinders out there - the Pharos and the HG One, and only the HG One uses Titan-level burrs. edit - just checked, the Pharos uses a 68mm burr set, so the Pharos does use a Titan or near-Titan level burr set.
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 6:09am

keithd Said:

...I'm getting really close to the point where I can begin fiddling with pre-infusion settings....

Posted November 22, 2013 link

Keith.... did you leave the offset setting at -12 (I think that is what it was)?  I know it is hard to make a lot of changes in a short amount of time unless your making espresso for a bunch of people so I suspect you haven't even thought about it yet. I imagine that within a few months, you will have tried adjusting every parameter to get the taste you like.
canuckcoffeeguy
canuckcoffeeguy

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 7:13am

Hi Keithd, apologies. Strange things afoot here. Not sure what to say. I'm the one that modded my Hario Slim. I swear I used an M6 posilock, unless the bin was mislabeled when I bought it. But I first tried an M8 posilock, since that's what people use for a Skerton, and it was too big. So I went back to the store and got what was labeled as an M6, and it was clearly smaller than the M8 and it fit perfectly.

So it's possible both of the M6 and M8 nuts I bought were mislabeled, or my Hario is different(unlikely), or there's another explanation I'm not thinking of.

Regardless, my Hario Slim is working well as a stepless grinder, but I don't use it for espresso. Just my Moka pot and drip. I imagine grinding for espresso would be hard work, as you say.
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 8:34am

I'm pretty sure the Mini and Skerton use the same burr, difference is the slimmer container/body (hence Mini Slim), and yeh slow as balls for espresso grinding lol. Does smell nice as heck though when hand grinding. I use my Mini for traveling for drip etc. You can attach a drill bit to the head where the handle would go and use a drill carefully to grind (one that has variable speeds/variable trigger would be better, not the cheap ones that are like full bore the second you touch the trigger lol)

Only fast hand grinders for espresso would be the Pharos ad HG-One, there are antique grinders as well but they all have that same slow quality unless someone on here knows of an antique one that's relatively quick? Tons of them on ebay
showing page 6 of 7 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Keep what I...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.404721021652)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+