Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
why is my Silvia choking with a new grinder?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > why is my Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
flipteg

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 9:49am
Subject: Re: why is my Silvia choking with a new grinder?

hi, i don't tap the portafilter after tamping. as i said, this is not the first time i have noticed this. i've had multiple mornings that i got gushers when not even 12 hours prior, the night before it was brewing correctly. today, on the 3rd try, 5 clicks finer on the micro adjustment of the Forte, i was tamping down so hard and it still came out under 10 seconds.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 9:53am

How long are you warming up your Silvia? If you're just flipping the switch, waiting for the light to go out, and then making your drinks, there's your main problem. That machine needs at least two, usually better with three warm up cycles. Let it do the light on - light off thing another two times. That'll give it about 30 minutes to come up to temp and will at the very least help, if not solve, your gusher problem.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
flipteg

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 10:04am

as i said, nothing else in my process has changed. the Silvia was turned on at 7am. i make the shots at 8.10am. all through the weekend. all the shots were made with the machine warmed up for at least 30 minutes. as i keep saying, this is not the first morning that this has happened.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 10:20am

Yeah, that's plenty long warmup.

As you said it's not the first time it's happened, but you never said how long you warm up you machine in any of your posts, and it's a very potential and common cause of gushers.

Have you ever read...Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home? If not, I highly recommend it. You can find it on www.espressomyespresso.com article 12 under how to.

Seems none of the advice offered has helped you yet. Next steps are to 1) post a video of your basket prep and subsequent shot, and 2) call Baratza and see if they can help you verify your grinder is calibrated properly and maintaining the settings you select.

flipteg

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 10:31am

hi, i keep mentioning mornings because it's the only time i see gushers like that when it was fine with everything the same from the previous night's shot. i can try grinding finer, this morning, i was already at 18 grams of ground coffee. i just hate that it happens in the mornings when i don't have time to tinker around with it. i don't get up early on the weekends haha.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 11:21am

Yes...and the fact that it was only in the morning made me think maybe you weren't letting the machine warm up enough first, but that's not the case. Are you making sure the boiler is full before going to bed? When I had my Silvias I used to have a nightly routine of flipping it on, running water until it came out of the wand, then flipping it off. I alwAys did this when the machine was back to room temp, just before going to bed. It made sure the boiler was properly full, so that after warm up, it was ready to go without a doubt. There's clearly something going on between when you make your last good drink of the day and the first bad one of the morning. Maybe having people give detailed renditions of their routine will help you figure it out?

flipteg

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 11:44am

i typically make a double shot in the morning and another at night when i get home from work. i brew first and them steam. after steaming, i always purge the excess steam by running hot water through the wand. other than that, i don't particularly worry about the boiler since we use the machine regularly and we don't leave it on when we leave for work.
emradguy
emradguy

Posted Mon Nov 18, 2013, 9:46pm

the boiler doesn't autofill. It fills only when you use the machine in brew or dispense water modes.  So, if it's not very full when you go to pull a shot, then it'll fill when you make your shot and you will be making said shot at a lower temp than intended. Of course, this is one scenario...as I said, there's clearly something going on between your last shot at night and first one in the morning.  Since you're able to get good shots at night, then there's something you're doing or not doing that's ruining your morning shot, and it's clearly not anything inherent in your equipment...good luck!

qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 12:42am

The only thing I can think of which could be affecting your shots is residual grounds in the grinder which are sitting there all night.

My Mazzer produces a very different shot from the first to the second when I make my first coffee in the morning.

Even if you do a grounds flush, it shouldn't change the shot that much.

Stupid question, are you adjusting the grinder while it is running? This is extremely important. Most grinders do not take well to being
adjusted when they're not running. In fact, bad things can happen if you make a grind adjustment finer without running the grinder.

With a Silvia, you shouldn't need to dose more than 18 grams to get a decent shot. Anything more and you will crack the puck.

BTW, are you able to choke the machine? If you can't, there's something wrong with either the grinder or the machine. (Probably the former.)

Now, one other thing.. When you experience this condition, have you thought about taking the beans out and doing a grinder calibration?

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
flipteg

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 7:45am

i was able to pull a shot out last night 9 clicks finer on the Forte than what i had in the morning. 2 hours later, the same beans, same settings, same everything was choking the Silvia. i ended up 7 clicks coarser on the Forte to pull the shot. the only thing i can see change in the two hours was the humidity. according to Weather Bug, humidity from the first shot of the night was 48%. 3 hours later, for the second shot it was at 55%. but that was outside conditions. i don't have a hygrometer in the room but that is a lot of clicks on the Forte for a 7% change in humidity. this morning, temperature dropped by about 15F from last night. 75% humidity, and i had to go finer by 7 clicks from the last shot. i think the big learning curve is knowing just how much to adjust the grinder and just how much the environment affects everything.
showing page 3 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > why is my Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.351713895798)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+