Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
why is my Silvia choking with a new grinder?
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > why is my Silvia...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 7:59am
Subject: Re: why is my Silvia choking with a new grinder?

Humditiy has a huge affect.  However, channeling could be giving you false info on how fast the pour is.  Also, your grinder is new and might need  break in time and/or might even have an issue.  You are adjusting it while it is running?  Right?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
flipteg

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 9:04am

yes, i adjust while it's running and i purge out about 2 to 3 grams after adjustment.
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 9:54am

you really should post a video...all this guessing is driving me nuts!

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 10:22am

flipteg Said:

i was able to pull a shot out last night 9 clicks finer on the Forte than what i had in the morning. 2 hours later, the same beans, same settings, same everything was choking the Silvia. i ended up 7 clicks coarser on the Forte to pull the shot. the only thing i can see change in the two hours was the humidity. according to Weather Bug, humidity from the first shot of the night was 48%. 3 hours later, for the second shot it was at 55%. but that was outside conditions. i don't have a hygrometer in the room but that is a lot of clicks on the Forte for a 7% change in humidity. this morning, temperature dropped by about 15F from last night. 75% humidity, and i had to go finer by 7 clicks from the last shot. i think the big learning curve is knowing just how much to adjust the grinder and just how much the environment affects everything.

Posted November 19, 2013 link

Humidty can actually play a big factor, I live in South FL and we've had a weird fall so far with almost everyday interchagning between cool, warm, sunny, cloudy, rainy, dry etc.. and some days the grind settings have to be noticeably adjusted.

But if you can I would post a vid, it's gotta be something your doing wrong (doubt it since your able to pull shots later), the grinder, or super insane humidity changes lol
flipteg

Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 10:23am

do you want a video of it choking or gushing, or just a video in general of how i make my espresso?
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Nov 19, 2013, 11:14am

Your video should show your basket prep method, from grinder to "ready to pull the shot", and then show the attempted extraction.  It would be best to show any problem you're having difficulty correcting. It seems to me the choking shots occur after you attempt to correct the bad morning shots, and that you know how to fix them - hence, your good night shots.  I would say, since you normally have good shots in the night and then bad ones in the morning, that you should show us the bad ones in the morning.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
flipteg

Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 12:03pm

i didn't make the video yet but i think my troubles were caused by changing humidity from the rainy - cold Satruday and Sunday (i got the grinder on Friday). once i got fresh beans, i was also too conservative with moving the fine adjustment lever. when i see a gusher, rather than moving it one click at a time and testing with each fine adjustment click like was previously suggested, i found that doing it that way wasted a lot of coffee. when i see a gusher, i find that i can safely move the fine adjustment at least 5 clicks finer to fix it. most of the time, i end up having to move it 7 clicks finer to slow it to the ideal pour rate. on the contrary, when i see very slow drips from the pour, like it's almost choking, i find that i can safely move the fine lever, again, by at least 5 clicks coarser. as long as the humidity stays relatively constant, the grinder doesn't seem to need much of an adjustment between brewing. maybe just 1 or 2 clicks of fine adjustment. typically though, when it only needsthat little of an adjustment, the pour rate is already within acceptable and i just go with it.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Nov 20, 2013, 4:53pm

Wow 7 clicks is a whole lot of movement with my grinder vario w

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
flipteg

Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 9:22pm

since my last post on this thread a few weeks ago, i have been having good luck. i haven't had to waste a lot of pucks in that time. we only like one roast of coffee that we buy fresh locally. with that roast, the grinder is set at 2D on the grinder and i always get around 25-30 seconds. i typically target 25 seconds. during that time, the grinder didn't need much adjustment. occasionally going to 2C on the grinder. i make sure that the grinder is running every time i make an adjustment i made 2 double shots this morning with 24 second pours. i come home from work tonight. i tried to make coffee and i got a 15 second pour without touching the grinder at all from the same unchanged setting that has been working for a few days in a row now. i made the grind finer. i ended up wasting 3 pucks and still ended up with a 20 second pour at grinder setting 1Q. to me, it seems to be a huge change from 2D in the morning to 1Q at night. i'm not looking forward to making coffee tomorrow morning. the temperature in the room stays pretty constant. the relative humidity range is typically 47-60%. but it usually only have a few percent swings throughout the day. even still, just a few days ago, with the grinder set of 2C or 2D, i was getting 25 second pours in that 47-60% humidity range.

i also want to add that i am using the grinder's weight function. i always dose 16 grams in the double basket. typically when i'm about to get gushers, i can already tell it is going to be a gusher when i'm tamping. gushers typically don't compress as much when tamping. but i'm still wondering why this happens all of a sudden with no change in the grinder.
IMAWriter
IMAWriter

Espresso: Bezzera Strega
Grinder: Forte, OE Pharos,...
Vac Pot: Adcraft SS, Yama 8 cup
Drip: Brazen, Kalita, Chemex,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600, CO/UFO combo
Posted Wed Dec 11, 2013, 9:48pm

flipteg Said:

thank you for posting that. i will try that out tomorrow. weekend tomorrow so we will go to another local roaster here. on the Forte AP, it seems like the burrs are calibrated from the factory where i can hear the motor slow down when i set it to the finest setting. you told me to pick a grind setting that i want. the problem is, i don't know what that is. what would be an ideal starting point for the Forte. i'm using 15 grams right now. i will try again tomorrow with fresh beans.

Posted November 16, 2013 link

I own a Forte and have no such problems as you.
#1, have you calibrated it? I assume not. For now, lets move on.

You MUST stop going back and forth between beans, and where you source them. Speaking generally, I would NOT be pulling shots with a Guatemalan in a Silvia with a new grinder.
Go with a blend from a reputable internet source. Red Bird espresso from Redbird Coffee is well priced, chocolate-y, and very forgiving of grind.
Order 5 lbs, freeze most of it in 12oz Ball/Mason jars.
You need to stay with one coffee to fully get a consistent result with your new grinder. By now, it probably needs a bit of cleaning with all the back and forth. Did you read the manual?

If you didn't, do so. It's a .pdf on the Baratza website. Hopefully you know NOT to ever adjust your grind FINER (with beans in the hopper) UNLESS the grinder is RUNNING. Going from finer to coarser is fine to adjust with the grinder off.
Follow the cleaning procedure outlined in the manual.

Again, it's a new machine, new grinder. Rome wasn't built in a day!!
You did well to upgrade the grinder…a SERIOuS upgrade, for sure!!

Rob J (LMWDP #187)
My Music Production web site:
www.robertjason.com
showing page 4 of 5 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > why is my Silvia...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.420657873154)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+