Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Delonghi EC155 - Blowing Hot Air Instead of Steam
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Delonghi EC155 -...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
webcrawler42

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 8:17am
Subject: Delonghi EC155 - Blowing Hot Air Instead of Steam

I have a Delonghi EC155 with a depressurized portafilter and an acorn-nut steam-wand tip.
Click Here (protofusion.org)

I have a problem with the steam not lasting long enough.  After about 15 seconds, the wand just blows hot air.

I have tried waiting 20 minutes before pulling a shot and steaming.  I have also tried pulling a shot and then waiting 10 minutes before steaming (on the steam setting).

Does anyone have any suggestions?
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 8:21am
Subject: Re: Delonghi EC155 - Blowing Hot Air Instead of Steam

How old is the machine?  It sounds like the heat element is spent. or very very dirty.  Keep in mind that these machines are only built to last a year or two. If I were you I would just junk it and go get another for $100.  Keep the mods tho for the new machine :P
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Nov 21, 2013, 8:22am

I suspect that you are seeing dry steam. That is a SBDU machine, the ONLY way to get pressure is to heat the water and generate steam. There is no way to compress air with the machine, the only source of vapor/air pressure is boiling water.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
webcrawler42

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 8:40am

The machine is only a few months old and has probably pulled about 30-40 shots.

The unit has quite a bit of pressure initially when there is still steam, but when the unit is blowing hot air there is very little pressure.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 9:33am

There could be another issue, but I had a Bar32 (same internals as EC155), the boilers on these machines are super super tiny. They lose pressure fast, I remember mine would steam fine (fine for the machine, no where near my CC1) and then die out fairly quickly especially if steaming milk though I'm pretty sure it wasn't as soon as 15 seconds. I don't really remember it being dry steam, fairly wet. Unfortunetly these machines are junkers if one little thing goes wrong, there's really no support or parts available. Worst case if it's still under warrant which is should be for only a few months old you can talk to the retailer and see if they'll exchange or fix it.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:07am

I do not know the actual boiler size, but doubt it is smaller than the Gaggia Classic at about 105ml.  Here is a video of the Classic steaming just to show how long it will go.  Open the steam valve and run the pump to make sure that the boiler is completely full of water.  Shut the valve and more water should flow out the group, then turn off the pump.  Obviously there should be no further water out, and the boiler will be full.  Now hit the steam switch and try steaming as normal.  Steam should be very wet at first and then you should have steam similar to Gaggia video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o_2zaHHazw

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
CMIN

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:14am

D4F Said:

I do not know the actual boiler size, but doubt it is smaller than the Gaggia Classic at about 105ml.  Here is a video of the Classic steaming just to show how long it will go.  Open the steam valve and run the pump to make sure that the boiler is completely full of water.  Shut the valve and more water should flow out the group, then turn off the pump.  Obviously there should be no further water out, and the boiler will be full.  Now hit the steam switch and try steaming as normal.  Steam should be very wet at first and then you should have steam similar to Gaggia video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7o_2zaHHazw

Posted November 22, 2013 link

I'm pretty sure the boilers are smaller, though someone had mentioned they were like 2.5oz maybe 3oz when measured, think Classic is 3.5 oz, I cracked mine open when it broke and the boiler looked tiny as heck. But either way use both, and the Classic has waaaaay stronger and lasting steam then any of the Delonghi's, Cuisinarts etc in that entry class.

My Bar32 (same internals as EC155) would steam fine inititally then pitter out quickly especially while steaming milk, friend with a Bar32 and another with the EC155 was the same problem. (We all started in coffee same time, same machines haha)
D4F

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:23am

Very short steam time and hot air description make me think of an empty/near empty boiler.  Proportion the Gaggia time by boiler size and get an idea or time :)

D4F also at
CMIN

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:25am

D4F Said:

Very short steam time and hot air description make me think of an empty/near empty boiler.  Proportion the Gaggia time by boiler size and get an idea or time :)

Posted November 22, 2013 link

Could be, but I always made sure that Bar32 had a full boiler with the tricks I learned, friends bar32/EC155 were the same. I know using the Gaggia Classic the steam was a lot stronger and longer lasting that's for sure.

OP - make sure the boiler is full like D4F said, don't just turn on and turn to steam and leave as is to use. Steam till the light goes on, then switch to brew, and then back to steam and wait for the light to turn green or if it's still green wait a bit to make sure it's recovered and doesn't go off right when you start steaming lol
D4F

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:34am

I still do not see boiler size, but a thread here talks about steaming far different than described.  While not strong, enough for a drink at a time and wet at the beginning.

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machines/579958

D4F also at
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Delonghi EC155 -...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.385335922241)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+