Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Coffee grounds in Silvia water tank
Great Espresso at Home
Curated selection of the best machines from La Spaziale, Izzo, Quick Mill, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Coffee grounds...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Robs291

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Silvia V3
Grinder: Vario
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 10:22am
Subject: Coffee grounds in Silvia water tank

I have a 1 year old Silvia V3 which I use 1-2 times a day for a double shot during the week, and about 3 times a day on the weekends. I mostly drink Americanos (water from the steam arm), espresso and an occasional cappuccino. I noticed recently that I am getting coffee grounds in my water tank, both before and after I descaled and backflushed. I always clean the grouphead after every shot with a brush and wipe the machine down. I also backflush every 2 months and descaled every 6 months. I have to My grinder is a Vario.

My shots are generally 22-30 seconds for a 2 oz shot.  I may get literally a grind or 2 after the first shot with a completely clean tank, then more after each shot. My tank lid is always closed so there are no stray grinds finding their way in there!

Anyone have any ideas, or is this normal? I appreciate any feedback. Thanks!

Rob
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:40am
Subject: Re: Coffee grounds in Silvia water tank

what kind of water filtration system do you use?  It's most likely tiny carbon particles from a filter, and not really coffee grounds.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Robs291

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:52am

emradguy Said:

what kind of water filtration system do you use?  It's most likely tiny carbon particles from a filter, and not really coffee grounds.

Posted November 22, 2013 link

Not exaxctly sure what kind of filter it is, but one of those under the sink filters with a "solid" cartridge. probably time to change it, now that you mention it. We also have a whole house water softener and I also recently descaled, so it isn't scale chinks coming in. I don't see any particles in the water when I fill up the tank, and the tank is clean. Could there somehow be a backup that is releasing grounds through one of the two water hoses?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 11:53am

I was thinking carbon particles as well... don't see anyway how grinds could be getting into the water tank
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4, Pharos,...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:20pm

I use fridge filtered water. It looks as clean as water can get, but eventually tiny carbon particles settle down into the tank. As Chris said, I see no way for grounds to get in there, and I can't think of anything else it could be. You just have to clean your reservoir regularly.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Robs291

Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 12:47pm

Thanks for the replies. I have to admit, I am a daily visitor/stalker and have learned a ton from this site. I am really enjoying my new found espresso hobby, and wanted to say Thank you to you all for all of the information in these posts. It has been very helpful and informative, and much appreciated.

The first thing I will do is change the filter (I hope I have a spare handy). I am hoping it is that because I never had this issue until relatively recently, so maybe the water filter is overdue for a change.
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Fri Nov 22, 2013, 9:10pm

I have the same problem. Coffee grounds are getting in to my skull. I find that I think about coffee too much, and my only explanation is that there must be coffee grounds on my brain.  I keep my mind very tightly closed, and never snort anything that isn't white so they must be getting in through some nefarious plot.  
Sorry, I like the OP am either insane or kidding.  But I will stop.
If you don't put coffee grounds into a closed reservoir, there won't be coffee grounds in a closed reservoir.
If you weren't kidding, then don't be offended.  I was just furthering your story. But you should think.
pilot25

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia
Grinder: Preciso
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 1:00am

Robs291 Said:

Thanks for the replies. I have to admit, I am a daily visitor/stalker and have learned a ton from this site. I am really enjoying my new found espresso hobby, and wanted to say Thank you to you all for all of the information in these posts. It has been very helpful and informative, and much appreciated.

The first thing I will do is change the filter (I hope I have a spare handy). I am hoping it is that because I never had this issue until relatively recently, so maybe the water filter is overdue for a change.

Posted November 22, 2013 link

I thought I had the same thing but it was actually particles from the black lid that would shave off and into the tank when pulling it off and putting it on.  I ended up wiping it down and sanding down a little bit of the plastic edge that would rub rough against the tank lip.
Robs291

Posted Wed Nov 27, 2013, 4:48pm

pilot25 Said:

I thought I had the same thing but it was actually particles from the black lid that would shave off and into the tank when pulling it off and putting it on.  I ended up wiping it down and sanding down a little bit of the plastic edge that would rub rough against the tank lip.

Posted November 23, 2013 link

Thanks for the reply. I think it is the same problem that you described. When I put on the tank lid one way there is no resistance and no black specks, but it fits differently the other way and I see some stuff floating in the tank. I can't tell where it is rubbing off from, but I am glad I have an answer. Thanks!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Coffee grounds...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.455821037292)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+