Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Keep what I have, CC1, or something else?
Coffee Kids
Help folks who help folks in coffee producing nations.
coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Keep what I...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
Author Messages
keithd
keithd
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: KA w/Mazzer burrs, Hario...
Drip: Aeropress
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 10:55pm
Subject: Keep what I have, CC1, or something else?

Howdy all!
First posting here, but I've been doing hours and hours of reading. Yes, I read the espresso machine sticky, all ten pages.

First, my dilema: Right now I have a Delonghi EC155. Even as early into this hobby as I am, I feel like I'm hitting the limits of the machine with my recent grinder purchase. It's quite obvious that this is a good (IMO very good) starter machine but trying to find a good bottomless filter basket is a challenge. I bought a Krups basket and the Delonghi 607706 basket and both do not fit as they get stuck and do not drop free at all unlike the stock basket. To make things worse, my recent Coffee Compliments 52mm 8-ball tamper is too large for the non-stock baskets. They fit the portafilter handle, but not the machine itself.

So here's what I'm up against - spend more money on this machine, or fight the battle with SWMBO and get something I can use for the next 10+ years. Note that if I do upgrade, it might not be for a while as convincing SWMBO might take some time.

My goals/wants:
I make iced Cafe Americanos almost exclusively, and right now just for myself. I am not interested in/don't care about lattes or steaming capabilities. I would like to be able to make Espresso con Panna and if my shot skills are good enough I'd like to make straight espresso shots with much more crema than I can get now. I want something that can last.

I am not afraid to tinker or chop and cut in-warranty things. I owned my EC155 for less than 4 days before I made the permanent unpressurized bottomless PF mod. I had my Kitchenaid Proline grinder less than 24 hours before I made permanent mods to drill and install the Mazzer burrs in it, so if I got a Rancilio Silvia I'm not above installing an Auber PID/timer kit. Also not above buying a used commercial machine and fixing it, but OKC doesn't have a huge coffee scene to buy going-out-of-business espresso machines from.

So, all that said, here's why I'm here. Recently I found someone selling a Crossland CC1 on Craigslist for $475, only extra I could see was a bottomless PF. Looked newish to me from the pics I saw. From what I've read, the CC1 is absolutely perfect for what I want to use an espresso machine for. A complaint is that it doesn't brew then steam very fast, but I don't need steam, but I'd like to be able to pull a few shots in a row. Most of the CC1 threads are from when it was new - it seems most CC1 owners are happy but silent. I don't know if it's a v1.0 or v1.5, I assume it's v1.0 until proven otherwise.

I thought the Gaggia Classic was comparable, but the Classic's boiler is 0.1 (yes, one tenth) of a liter, the CC1 is 0.5. To get any bigger you would have to spend a significant amount more and I'd be paying for steaming features that I don't exactly need.

So what do ya'll think?

TL;DR (too long;didn't read) - Have a EC155, found a cheap-ish CC1, is it a good machine for just espresso shots and Americanos?
 View Profile Link to this post
Markarian
Markarian
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: ECM Technika IV Profi WT-WC
Grinder: Baratza Forte AP, HG One
Vac Pot: Bunn Trifecta MB
Drip: Moka, Aeropress, Hario V60
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Oct 24, 2013, 11:41pm
Subject: Re: Keep what I have, CC1, or something else?

Anything is better than a DeLonghi. A CC1 for $475 is pretty decent. That's how much it costs to order one new from the Chinese ODM. Hey look, someone with a CC1 and  ProLine:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gY58CpXXxZI
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 7:04am

keithd Said:

Howdy all!
So, all that said, here's why I'm here. Recently I found someone selling a Crossland CC1 on Craigslist for $475, only extra I could see was a bottomless PF. Looked newish to me from the pics I saw. From what I've read, the CC1 is absolutely perfect for what I want to use an espresso machine for. A complaint is that it doesn't brew then steam very fast, but I don't need steam, but I'd like to be able to pull a few shots in a row. Most of the CC1 threads are from when it was new - it seems most CC1 owners are happy but silent. I don't know if it's a v1.0 or v1.5, I assume it's v1.0 until proven otherwise.

Posted October 24, 2013 link

I think the espresso machine your looking at on Craigslist is probably mine since I am only 40 miles from you. It does come with a naked portafilter. Its a nice little machine.
CMIN

Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 10:32am

In it's class, CC1 is the best overall machine hands down imo, performance wise and feature wise, plus by far the largest boiler in it's class. I started with a Bar32 (same internally as EC155), even modded, no comparison at all.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 1:02pm

It all depends where you want to end up and how much of a hurry are you in?

If you are anything like me, it is the thrill of the hunt, not so much the prize at the end that gets me going.

For the money you are talking about, you should be able to pick up a used commercial machine if you shop a lot. They can be found in restaurant supply businesses, auction houses that cater to restaurant and food service industry. Look at second hand (used) food service dealers, auction houses are the best deals, a buisness that has serviced the machine will want to recover their costs and make a profit.

They turn up on Craigs list too. I bought a two group commercial machine an hour dive from my house for $75, as is where is as a "parts" machine. Yes it was ugly but it didn't even require any parts to get it going again, the vacuum breaker was clogged in the open position so it would not "hold pressure"

CC1 is a nice little machine, it works well and there have been few teething problems with it. It likely will grow old on you(you get sick of looking at it) before it has any issues if you take care of it. Will you want more than that? Possibly, then you will be "playing the game" again both with the wife and the hunt.

I had no reason other than just wanting a new toy, really to buy this machine as my then current machine was (and still is)just fine and a single group commercial machine. I replaced it with this commercial machine under the excuse of not wanting to be away from coffee while I serviced my machine. Honestly, the more I use the "new" machine the more I like it. It did not cost all that much more than the CC1 you are looking at to buy and only about $100 in parts to get it going again. YMMV!

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/642550

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
keithd
keithd

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 6:24pm

I started to get the tinkerer bug and looked at some of the used commercial machines on ebay - this Rancilio Epoca on ebay looks nice! But I realized that I'm starting to look at commercial-sized machines that probably need repairs. I'm not ready for a commercial machine in both size and needing 220V+hard plumbing. Don't get me wrong - if I ever moved on from a CC1, it will likely be something like that.

I wonder what version DeanOK's CC1 is. Question - is the CC1 good enough for a small number of near back-to-back espresso shots, assuming no steaming needed? As in, could I use it to serve espresso to a couple friends plus myself without too much waiting or hassle?
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 7:26pm

I would probably risk it as we know where it comes from and its history.  But for 475$ I got an Oscar.  It needed work and I modded it but I am happy with it and I know it is robust.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
DeanOK
DeanOK

Espresso: QM Vetrano 2B
Grinder: Vario W
Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 7:42pm

keithd Said:

I started to get the tinkerer bug and looked at some of the used commercial machines on ebay - this Rancilio Epoca on ebay looks nice! But I realized that I'm starting to look at commercial-sized machines that probably need repairs. I'm not ready for a commercial machine in both size and needing 220V+hard plumbing. Don't get me wrong - if I ever moved on from a CC1, it will likely be something like that.

I wonder what version DeanOK's CC1 is. Question - is the CC1 good enough for a small number of near back-to-back espresso shots, assuming no steaming needed? As in, could I use it to serve espresso to a couple friends plus myself without too much waiting or hassle?

Posted October 25, 2013 link

Mine is a version 1.  I never did know for sure what the difference was between the 1 and the 1.5. As for mine, I did have the expansion valve to go out. Crossland sent me a warranty replacement. Also, I have calibrated mine with a scace type thermometer which offered a big improvement in shot quality. After I adjusted brew temperature, my CC1 will produce shots on par with my V2B. If fact, I if I knew everything I know now before I spent the money for the V2B, I probably would have kept the CC1. The CC1 will make very nice micro foam, but it is a lot slower than the V2B when it comes to steaming milk, but probably typical for machines in the CC1 price range. I think the CC1 can do back to back shots as long as your reasonable about how fast you pull the shots. If you grind between shots I think you will be fine. As for mine, as far as I know it is in perfect condition. The reason it is on Craigslist instead of listed here on CoffeeGeek is because I didn't want to deal with shipping it.

I love my V2B, but I miss the shot timer that is part of the CC1. I always time my shots, so I now have to use an external timer. I think most people who are trying to improve their shot quality time their shots, so you will probably enjoy the timer if you go with the CC1.
keithd
keithd

Posted Fri Oct 25, 2013, 7:54pm

DeanOK, sent you an email from the Craigslist link.

It looks like it's ideal for where I'm at in espresso skills and needs. The Oscar or any other commercial-quality machine is something for the future for me. I *just* started out and I'm in enough hot water (ba-dum-TISH) as is. A good mid-range machine will tide me over for a while until I can find that killer deal on something like an Oscar or Rancilio Epoca.

One thing I noticed when looking at two group machines, they seem to have one large boiler for both groups, correct? Would that mean, for example that a two group Rancilio Epoca has a larger boiler than a single group? I'd never even consider a four group, but it seems most used commercial machines are the two group type, which makes sense as a single group limits production for a business (right?).
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Oct 26, 2013, 10:58am

All 3 of my single group commercial machines are 110 v, I don't know where you got it that a commercial machine is 220. V ?
EBay is the MOSTexpensive place to buy a machine, commercial or otherwise.
If you want to brew several shots in a row, bigger is better, to a point, you don't need 4 groups to make 3 drinks but a single gp commercial machine can bang them out as fast as you can prep for them
Commercial isn't for everyone but neither is a SBDU. really evaluate your needs before you pick a direction to go. :-)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
showing page 1 of 7 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Keep what I...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.397526025772)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+