Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Gaggia Classic Brewing Head Water Drip
The Coffee Project
Home coffee Roasting equipment, green beans, and supplies
www.coffeeproject.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
JakeBarnes

Expertise: Just starting

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Iberital MC2
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 6:53am
Subject: Gaggia Classic Brewing Head Water Drip

Hi, all,

I've just bought a Gaggia Classic and noticed that when I'm making espresso (i.e. have the Brew Switch turned on and water running through the filter basket) after a few seconds there is a water drip forming in one spot on the outside of the Brewing Head.

It's only a few drops of water falling during a 25 second extraction, and I can position the espresso cup to avoid it, but I'm wondering if this is going to get worse and if I should return the Gaggia for a replacement unit.

I bought from Amazon and have a 30-day return policy.

Less importantly I also note that the drip tray doesn't sit flush with the Gaggia metal frame. It wobbles a little if I rock it, even when I ensure the two little feet on the bottom are slotted into the metal frame. Not a huge deal, but I wondered if all Gaggia's are like this or if the plastic on this one is a little warped.

Any help in deciding whether to have this unit replaced would be appreciated.

best,
Jake
 View Profile Link to this post
steamer
steamer
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 7:49am
Subject: Re: Gaggia Classic Brewing Head Water Drip

On the tray, dont slide it all the way back, there is spot where it sits about 1/8 of an inch off the water container. Is the drip coming off the portafilter, or from the overflow in the back left corner?
JakeBarnes

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 8:17am

Thanks for the reply, steamer.

Re the tray, even with the tray moved a little forward from the water container, it's still not sitting flush. It can be rocked a little. I wonder if that's normal or if the plastic is warped a little.

Re the water drip, as I look at the circular brewing head while brewing, a drop of water appears on the rim of the brewing head, then drops. It seems like it must be a slight seep from the portafilter. Should I be seeing this on a brand new machine and is it going to become a worse problem?
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Espresso: Expobar Office Pulser
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Drip: Newco-OCS 12
Roaster: HG/BM
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 9:46am

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new machine!  

The tray sounds normal.  My GC also has a tray that does the same.  As long as the feet on the bottom of the tray are sitting in the metal slots on the machine's body, you're good.  I can wobble mine pretty easily.  If you're saying the tray somehow slides out from the body of the machine unintentionally, there could be a problem.

I have a relatively new GC and I've never had the dripping from the group head as you described.  With excessive pressure or a old and dried out grouphead gasket (makes the seal with the rim of your portafilter basket, and sits inside the grouphead) water can drip, but you'll see it run down the side of your PF.  It sounds like your dripping is coming from the superior portion of the group, where it is bolted to the machine's body.  If you told me you bought this machine second hand I would ask about the gaskets, descaling history, pressure adjustment etc etc but you have a new machine.  I hate buying something new and not getting it in the proper condition.  I would 100% just send it back to Amazon and get yourself a new one...let them deal with Gaggia.  I've returned multiple things to Amazon and they've always made it easy so I doubt you'll encounter problems.  I would also be worried about opening up my new machine to try to make an unnecessary repair, only to somehow void the warrantee through Gaggia.
JakeBarnes

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 11:03am

Whitcoatsyndrom Said:

Welcome to the forums and congrats on the new machine!  

The tray sounds normal.  My GC also has a tray that does the same.  As long as the feet on the bottom of the tray are sitting in the metal slots on the machine's body, you're good.  I can wobble mine pretty easily.  If you're saying the tray somehow slides out from the body of the machine unintentionally, there could be a problem.

I have a relatively new GC and I've never had the dripping from the group head as you described.  With excessive pressure or a old and dried out grouphead gasket (makes the seal with the rim of your portafilter basket, and sits inside the grouphead) water can drip, but you'll see it run down the side of your PF.  It sounds like your dripping is coming from the superior portion of the group, where it is bolted to the machine's body.  If you told me you bought this machine second hand I would ask about the gaskets, descaling history, pressure adjustment etc etc but you have a new machine.  I hate buying something new and not getting it in the proper condition.  I would 100% just send it back to Amazon and get yourself a new one...let them deal with Gaggia.  I've returned multiple things to Amazon and they've always made it easy so I doubt you'll encounter problems.  I would also be worried about opening up my new machine to try to make an unnecessary repair, only to somehow void the warrantee through Gaggia.

Posted November 23, 2013 link

Thanks for the welcome, Whit.

All I know for sure is that the drip appears on the lip of the brewing head, always in the same position, and seems to come from inside the group head, rolls out, then drops.

Yes, sounds like I should just send it back for a replacement.

By the way, before sending it back, how do I empty the boiler?
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 11:43am

We never want to run the pump dry because of the potential damage.  However, when you got the machine you had to fill it up with water and turn it on to get water in there in the first place so a few seconds of dry won't hurt it.  Just empty water out of your tank and hit the brew switch with no PF locked in place.  Flip the brew switch back to off as soon as the boiler is emptied.  If something bad was to happen...well you're sending it back anyhow.  Regardless, good thinking.  I love my GC and I'm sorry it sounds like you got a lemon; I'm sure you'll be happier when it gets solved.
JakeBarnes

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 12:14pm

Whitcoatsyndrom Said:

We never want to run the pump dry because of the potential damage.  However, when you got the machine you had to fill it up with water and turn it on to get water in there in the first place so a few seconds of dry won't hurt it.  Just empty water out of your tank and hit the brew switch with no PF locked in place.  Flip the brew switch back to off as soon as the boiler is emptied.  If something bad was to happen...well you're sending it back anyhow.  Regardless, good thinking.  I love my GC and I'm sorry it sounds like you got a lemon; I'm sure you'll be happier when it gets solved.

Posted November 23, 2013 link

Great! Thanks for all the advice, Whit.

I'm sure I'll be back on here when I get my replacement.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 1:14pm

I do not think that will empty the boiler.  If you look below, the "up tube" in the boiler takes water off of the top.  If the level drops below the tube, no water out but almost a full boiler.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

Try this

Click Here (www.gaggiausersgroup.com)

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Whitcoatsyndrom
Whitcoatsyndrom

Posted Sat Nov 23, 2013, 9:16pm

I was under the impression that newer Gaggia machines had another hole in the lower portion of the boiler out-tube.  I heard they started making them with that to avoid some of the temp problems of just sucking water out of the superior portion of the boiler.  The diagram doesn't really show anything there but its more of a parts replacement diagram than for functional description.  Either way I don't think you can go wrong by following the second link posted.  D4F knows a think or 2 about temp control on Gaggia so I would defer to his instructions.
JakeBarnes

Posted Sun Nov 24, 2013, 9:15am

Just to update: I watched very closely as I was brewing today and I can now confirm that the water is coming from the outer edge of the brewing head so I'm definitely sending it back for a replacement.

Thanks again for your help.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Gaggia Classic...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.390516042709)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+