Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Have you outgrown you Gaggia Classic?
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Have you...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
Author Messages
eyetechie

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Sun Dec 1, 2013, 5:00pm
Subject: Re: Have you outgrown you Gaggia Classic?

My dilemma:   Purchased my first espresso machine Gaggia Classic and Precisio on November 15, 2012.  Things were going well until a couple of months ago.  Seems like the machine was straining, but in the end still producing a good shot.
 But, I was always looking at other machines, with the plan that "someday, I'm going to get another machine, maybe a Breville or Silvia".  On Thanksgiving morning my machine died, of course 2 weeks after my warranty.  Took off the top and found melted plastic connector.  So, now my dilemma: pay $140.00 for repair or buy a better machine.  Probably will go the $140.00, just because it seems I should be able to get more than a year from the Gaggia Classic.  What would you do?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Dec 1, 2013, 5:07pm

Post picture of the problem and perhaps it can be solved.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
eyetechie

Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 3:10pm

Photo of burned connection
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Dec 2, 2013, 3:30pm

Shot a blank on the photo attachment, try again :)

You should probably start a new thread, as this is a new topic or direction.  You may get more help with something like "Gaggia will not heat"...

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
qualin
qualin
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Izzo Alex Duetto 3
Grinder: Mazzer Mini Elect. Type A
Vac Pot: Looking to buy
Drip: Manual
Roaster: Considering?
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 12:22am

eyetechie Said:

pay $140.00 for repair or buy a better machine.

Posted December 1, 2013 link

Well, $140 goes about a 1/3rd of the way towards a better grinder. Or roughly about 1/6th towards a consumer SBDU machine.

I guess my thought is, what caused the connector to be burned? Even if you do get the machine repaired, how much longer until it needs repairing again?
Maybe a month, maybe a year, maybe three years.. who knows.

There are some people on this forum who manage to keep their old Saeco's running come heck or high water and I admire them. However, considering that
this repair is nearly 1/4 the cost of a new Gaggia machine, is it really worth it? IMO, I don't think so but it is your money.

IMHO, I think you should use this as an opportunity to upgrade both your machine and grinder. Let's stand back a bit and rethink this. I realize that perhaps maybe you are
experiencing sticker shock. So, maybe you need an upgrade which is a little bit more incremental, rather than taking a huge leap into a very expensive setup.

So, you seemed pretty intent on buying that Breville for $830... how about this, why not consider spending that cash on used equipment selling on this forum?
As an example, a Nuova Simonelli Oscar sells for around $500-$600 used. That leaves you $430 for a grinder. For $230-$330, you can get any variety of used grinders.
Mazzer grinders tend to be bulletproof, near indestructible, durable and easy to maintain. I wouldn't doubt it if I heard that a Mazzer grinder outlasted the espresso
machine it ground coffee for. :-) You could probably pick up a used Mazzer Mini or a Super Jolly for that money.

Now, if you are intent on buying new, then consider bumping your budget up an extra $160 and round it up to $1000. That gives you a choice of a few different
SBDU machines. You may want to consider the Baratza line of grinders, like the Vario for example. The Silvia is a tested, tried and true machine but you are paying
more for the quality and commercial components in it than you are for functionality. The Lelit SBDU line of machines would fit nicely into your budget.

If you are concerned that you'd be "Throwing your money away" on a SBDU, then I'd certainly consider buying a used HX machine if budget is a concern.

I wish you the best of luck.

EDITED: 2013/12/03 - I mentioned Saeco by mistake and meant Gaggia.

Garbage In, Garbage Out, for every step of the process. From Beans to grinder, grounds to machine, coffee to cup.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
Iluvdabean
Iluvdabean

Espresso: La Nuova Era Cuadra/Gaggia...
Grinder: Baratza Preciso/K-A Pro...
Drip: Bonavita BV 1800 TH
Roaster: Nesco 1010/Behmor 1600
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 6:10am

I used my Classic every day for five years,upgraded and then gave it to my daughter and she's using it everyday. They are great SBDU machines
so I dont know what happened to yours. I would call the place you bought it and see what they say.
 View Profile Contact via ICQ Link to this post
SJM

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 8:01am

Eyetechie, the most recent response is spot on.  The Classic is a great machine and something unusual caused the burned wire.  Figure that out and get on with your life with Classic.  It will serve you well if you pair with with a good grinder, do regular maintenance, blah blah blah.  Nothing about your situation demands or suggests that it is appropriate to consider a different espresso machine.

One thing you did not mention is what your maintenance regime has been like with that Classic.  The sound of the pump straining suggests you might have had a blockage, which  the pump was trying to overcome, and which might have contributed to the burn.  

Take pictures, open the machine, fix it up and enjoy it.
And, as D4F suggested earlier, you should probably start your own new thread.  You will get more help that way.
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 8:18am

SJM Said:

And, as D4F suggested earlier, you should probably start your own new thread.  You will get more help that way.

Posted December 3, 2013 link

A big +1 to that!

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
showing page 3 of 3 first page previous page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Have you...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.438534021378)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+