Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
My Rancilio Silvia is overheating. Need some help!
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > My Rancilio...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
rgalang

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silva
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky Doserless
Vac Pot: N/A
Roaster: N/A
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 2:57pm
Subject: My Rancilio Silvia is overheating. Need some help!

I've been reading the forums this past week trying to solve my problem(s).

I have a 2005 Rancilio Silvia with a MLG Pid Kit installed.

- Just recently, I tripped the red button for one reason or another. I was able to reset it.
- Then it stopped heating altogether. So upon research, I opted to purchase the thermostats for both water and steamer. Done!
- Heat started working again, but the temperature just keeps rising and it's not stopping like it used to at the set PID temperature.

As I was testing the water and steam, I noticed a very milky looking water. Even after many flushes. Beyond the decalcifying and cleaning what could be the reason the temperature isn't getting regulated like before? I'm on the cusp of disassembling everything and doing a thorough cleaning. But if there's any obvious piece I'm missing I'd love your input!

Thanks in advance!
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 3:02pm
Subject: Re: My Rancilio Silvia is overheating. Need some help!

sounds like a bad heating element (based on reading the replies to numerous similar posts over the past couple of years)

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
rgalang

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 4:27pm

From what I've read a bad heating element will not produce heat? I may be wrong. My problem is that the heat is not stopping. I'm hoping it's some wiring and not a $150 fix.
PJK
PJK

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 4:29pm

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but the milky water is not a good thing. Your heating element is gone.  This requires 1/2 of the boiler to be replaced.

Disconnect the wires from the heater and check the resistance from one of the leads to the case. It should be hundreds if not thousands of meg-ohms. If you can measure any conductivity your heater is gone. It is a Calrod heater. The heating wire is surrounded with some ceramic stuff inside a metal tube. If the tube is breached it is over for the heater.

I'm guessing that the leakage current from the failed heater took out your SSR.

After replacing the heater (1/2 boiler) check out the thermostats and SSR before using the machine. You should not need a brew thermostat with PID as the PID replaces it.

Phil

rgalang Said:

I've been reading the forums this past week trying to solve my problem(s).

I have a 2005 Rancilio Silvia with a MLG Pid Kit installed.

- Just recently, I tripped the red button for one reason or another. I was able to reset it.
- Then it stopped heating altogether. So upon research, I opted to purchase the thermostats for both water and steamer. Done!
- Heat started working again, but the temperature just keeps rising and it's not stopping like it used to at the set PID temperature.

As I was testing the water and steam, I noticed a very milky looking water. Even after many flushes. Beyond the decalcifying and cleaning what could be the reason the temperature isn't getting regulated like before? I'm on the cusp of disassembling everything and doing a thorough cleaning. But if there's any obvious piece I'm missing I'd love your input!

Thanks in advance!

Posted December 3, 2013 link

Philip J. Keleshian
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
rgalang

Posted Tue Dec 3, 2013, 10:22pm

Thanks Phil and emradguy,
You were both right. It appears that my heating element is shot. I took it apart and it was a scary mess inside. Going to plunk down for a new boiler ASAP.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Dec 4, 2013, 8:06am

glad we were able to help you.  I've also read several posts from people who've done the work, that you may only need to replace the top half of the boiler...so that may save you some money...I may be wrong on this count, but it's worth checking into.

calblacksmith did a pictorial essay (essentially) on rebuilding a Silvia some time ago, that may also have some useful information for you.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
rgalang

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 9:18am

Status update.

I was able to purchase a new heating element kit from Great Infusions here in Santa Cruz, CA. It was great that they had it in stock.
They did discourage the use of a PID, which confused me a little bit. However, I know nothing about the Silvia's original wiring and I've since lost the CD instructions that the PID kit came with. In other words, I couldn't reverse what I already have in place.

Before unplugging everything I took detailed photos so I have a reference of the wiring. Had very little difficulty disassembling the main parts. The new replacement heating element wasn't exactly the same as the old V1. But the kit came with a new pipe that connected the steamer. No trouble putting everything back together.

Long story short, everything worked! Including the PID which is keeping ideal temperature. Not much of a DIY guy, but with this site's support and YouTube I managed. Thanks for all the help! Saved me $1000 because I was eyeing a new machine.
onthego
onthego

Espresso: Salvatore One Black, Silvia...
Grinder: Macap M4 Stepless, Rocky DL,...
Drip: Krups
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 11:32am

rgalang Said:

Status update.

I was able to purchase a new heating element kit from Great Infusions here in Santa Cruz, CA. It was great that they had it in stock.
They did discourage the use of a PID, which confused me a little bit. However, I know nothing about the Silvia's original wiring and I've since lost the CD instructions that the PID kit came with. In other words, I couldn't reverse what I already have in place.

Before unplugging everything I took detailed photos so I have a reference of the wiring. Had very little difficulty disassembling the main parts. The new replacement heating element wasn't exactly the same as the old V1. But the kit came with a new pipe that connected the steamer. No trouble putting everything back together.

Long story short, everything worked! Including the PID which is keeping ideal temperature. Not much of a DIY guy, but with this site's support and YouTube I managed. Thanks for all the help! Saved me $1000 because I was eyeing a new machine.

Posted December 17, 2013 link

In my mind this is what puts the Silvia at the head of the class.  Parts are readily available.  The machine is relatively easy to work on.  There is a very large knowledge base available on line.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > My Rancilio...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.379362106323)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+