Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
The Cheapest Brewing and Frothing - Livietta T2, BDB, Oscar, Anita
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Cheapest...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Webbles
Webbles
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia (v1 from...
Grinder: Rancilio Rocky (white)
Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 1:21pm
Subject: The Cheapest Brewing and Frothing - Livietta T2, BDB, Oscar, Anita

All,

Looking for your advice. I have a Starbucks Barista (+Naked PF, Breville Grinder, Gram Scale, and Fresh Redbird Espresso) and I have a ton of company. I have quickly become known as making great cappuccino (even latte art) and I LOVE making drinks for my guests. I don't have a ton of money to spend on nice equipment tho. (None, according to my wife;-)  

The dilemma:  I am tired of spending 30 mintues to make 4 drinks. (I do two at a time, pulling double shots then frothing enough milk for two). This DOES NOT work well. I REALLY want a faster machine for as little money as possible. I have been doing some research on machines that allow for simultaneous brewing and frothing. I have found the Breville Dual Boiler, Nuova Simonelli Oscar, Quick Mill Anita, and Pasquini Livietta T2.

Right now I'm gravitating toward the T2. I am afraid of the BDB, the Anita is at the top end price-wise, and the Oscar is just ugly. My main question is this: Are there any Livietta T2 users out there that can give me their experience? Or anyone 'in the know' about them? I don't want a piece of crap that brews and froths poorly.

I will also accept any advice about the other machines mentioned or any machines that I should be considering. (Again, think LOW Price). I will not accept any advice on Grinders at the moment. =)  I KNOW I will need to upgrade my grinder if I'm going to be anything less than an OGRE that falsly claims to make "espresso."

Please be kind. Remember, I've been pulling shots on a Barista SIN 006.  There's a reason the model number is SIN.  ;-)

Life is too short to drink cheap espresso!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 1:34pm
Subject: Re: The Cheapest Brewing and Frothing - Livietta T2, BDB, Oscar, Anita

In the price range of what you are asking about, listed in the BST right now,
http://coffeegeek.com/forums/members/buysell/651255

It is the next level up from what you are considering and if I were looking to speed things up, it is hard to get much quicker. No question about build quality and you will be banging out drinks faster than you EVER thought you could.

A unrelated review on our website, note the MSRP of the machine.
Click Here (coffeegeek.com)

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Thu Dec 5, 2013, 1:55pm

Webbles Said:

I am afraid of the BDB, the Anita is at the top end price-wise, and the Oscar is just ugly.

Posted December 5, 2013 link

I don't have experience with any of your candidates but it sounds like you have to decide which is your biggest priority among budget, looks and performance and where you're willing to compromise on those as well.  While I agree that the Oscar isn't a looker it does seem to perform from what I've read.  Quickmill and Chris Coffee are almost always a safe bet from what I've seen as well.  I'm not a Breville fan but my prejudice against big box store espresso machines is based on experience from over a decade ago so it's certainly possible that may not be relevant these days.

Webbles Said:

Are there any Livietta T2 users out there that can give me their experience? Or anyone 'in the know' about them? I don't want a piece of crap that brews and froths poorly.

No experience but there are reviews right here on CoffeeGeek:
http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/pasquiniliviettat2

Webbles Said:

I will also accept any advice about the other machines mentioned or any machines that I should be considering. (Again, think LOW Price). I will not accept any advice on Grinders at the moment. =)  I KNOW I will need to upgrade my grinder if I'm going to be anything less than an OGRE that falsly claims to make "espresso."

If minimizing your spend now means you can increase your grinder budget then definitely do so.
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Fri Dec 6, 2013, 10:58am

In the Oscar price range, but not ugly IMHO, is the Bezzera BZ07 at $1,199. Haven't used it, but it was a machine I considered seriously for several reasons including the toggle switches for steam and water.  It also has a really small footprint for a quality HX.

Here's a decent video.

Living the caffeinated life.
dwRK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 12:36am

there are so many more machines up to the Anita level of $1600...

something different...la nuova era cuadra...$1350

still on cyberweek offer...faema carisma...$1500

btw...the livietta t2 is a dual thermoblock machine...i think it is expensive for what it is...
JPF

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 6:29am

dwRK Said:

btw...the livietta t2 is a dual thermoblock machine...i think it is expensive for what it is...

Posted December 8, 2013 link

+1

Living the caffeinated life.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 8:08am

Get a used, cheap machine. Use yours to brew and the other to steam. Cal it a backwoods double boiler!

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 9:08am

That is not a bad idea till you can save up for what you want.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Sun Dec 8, 2013, 10:56am

Everything on your list, as well as the Carisma, Cuardra and used S1, and including the Livietta (don't buy it!) represents a huge upgrade from what you have now.  

Not to put too fine a point on it, your Starbuck's Barista is a piece of crap for making espresso generally, making espresso for groups especially, and for any kind of steaming.  It cannot be temped meaningfully, much less consistently.  There is no grinder good enough to make the Barista even marginally "good."  

If your coffee is better than Starbucks -- which I don't doubt -- it is only because you're using better beans.  Starbucks actually uses good -- and now foolproof -- equipment; which only goes to show the limits of equipment in the face of horrible roasts.

If you do buy a better espresso machine, you'll have to learn to "temp."  Not so much learn to temp the given machine, but learn to temp by taste, as a part of the process of "dialing in."  If you want to make consistently good espresso -- and you do -- there's no getting around it.  Two of great things about a good espresso machine is that you can temp in a way which will allow you to dial in (in other words, temp is easily repeatable), and it won't fight you while you do.  

Seattle Coffee Warehouse has extended their "Cyber Monday Sale" and is currently selling a Crossland CC1 (v1.5) + Vario combo for $1000.  I have no idea SCW will extend the sale price.  While it's not the pinnacle of equipment, the CC1 is as inexpensive as you can go for a user-friendly, high feature, "good," new setup.

I had a gen 1 CC1 for a month and thought that it redefined "entry level" for me, to the point that I thought it rendered SBDUs (single boiler dual use machines, which use the same boiler for brewing and steaming, and require you to wait while they change the boiler temp for the desired function) -- especially the Silvia -- obsolete.  I recommend against anything less.  In fairness though the CC1 is cranky about distribution (how you make the puck) and has limited steaming performance.  

The QM Silvano is a step up from the CC1, although steam is also thermoblock driven and also the weakest performance point.  But, alas, no huge discount.  

If I were buying a machine as a gift for someone just starting out in good espresso, it would be the BDB or Carisma.  The BDB is the friendliest, and the Carisma a large step up (or so we're told, it hasn't been around long enough for meaningful reviews) in build quality from the Cuadra and Anita; a much better steamer than the CC1, Silvano or BDB; plus it's the latest thing and the ladies love it.

The least expensive grinder in the "good" class is the Baratza Vario, which runs $450 new.   If you're going to spend close to $1000 for an espresso machine, it doesn't make sense in my mind to get anything less.  And by the way, that should also lend some context to how good a deal the SCW CC1/Vario is.  

FWIW, I'm the guy who wrote the Cimbali review Calblacksmith posted above, and will be happy to answer any questions you have -- with the proviso that there are significant differences between the S1 for sale and the DT/1 Casa which is my daily driver.  

BDL
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > The Cheapest...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.398035049438)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+