Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Breville Barista Express extraction question
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Barista...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bcompton

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 10:12am
Subject: Breville Barista Express extraction question

Hello everyone, I am new to this forum and apologize if this is not the proper place for this question. I recently purchased a Breville Barista Express and I am having difficulty extracting  a decent volume of espresso. I have tried several grind settings from 10 to finest and I am using a single wall, single shot filter. The machine pulls for about 30 seconds and the pressure gauge is at the top of the espresso limit, but hardly any liquid comes out. I am tamping with the correct amount of pressure (I am pretty sure). Has anyone had the same issues with their Barista Express? Being new, I am sure it is operator error, but as far as I can tell I am doing everything correct, but still coming up short. Any helpful suggestions or places to start?

Thanks

Brad
 View Profile Link to this post
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 11:05am
Subject: Re: Breville Barista Express extraction question

sounds like you're grinding too fine.  Back off slightly, until you get a good flow.  You also may be overdosing.  How many grams of grounds are you putting in the basket?  Whatever you do, change only one variable at a time.  I would probably first make sure my dose is in the 7-9g range (since you're using a single basket), then work on getting the grind setting correct.  Don't change any other variables like tamp pressure, for instance.

Regarding how you accomplish this...you'll need a scale that measures in 0.1g increments or less.  Tare the scale or weigh the basket with it empty, then fill it and weigh it (again).  Then when you have the machine set to deliver an acceptable dose weight, fill the basket and pop it into the pf handle and pull your first shot.  If you're still choking the machine, grind slightly coarser.  Keep going coarser until you get a good flow.  If it's too fast after getting your dose weight down to the right amount for that basket, then go finer on grind until the flow is good.

more help is available in this guide...Easy Guide to Better Espresso at Home.  You can find it by going to www.espressomyespresso.com, then scrolling down until you find the "how to" section.  It's article 12.

If possible, a video of your technique and subsequent shot will be very helpful for us to give you more pointers.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 12:10pm

Are you using the built in grinder? Your pry at a setting that's too fine and can back off a click or two and adjust from there, if you get more of a gusher, you'll need to play with dose amount in that range as the built in grinder doesn't have good dialing abilities for espresso (works fine for the double wall baskets though).

In addition to what emradguy posted above, I'd stick to the double baskets, easier and a lot more consistent, I personally hate single baskets lol. Def get a digi scale that measures to .1 grams so you can see what your actually dosing, you grind settings may be ok but like he posted above you could be overdosing the basket.
bcompton

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 6:03pm

Thanks for your suggestions. I will work through them one by one and try to dial in all of the variables that contribute to a perfect pull of espresso. My immediate thought was also the grind was too fine, but thought anything below 10 would be too coarse......but maybe not. I will drop it down to 5 and adjust from there and then play with the dosing size.

Thanks again.
emradguy
emradguy
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, 2 Macap M4s, OE...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 6:54pm

your changes should be in small increments, especially if you're seeing drips while the grind is still too fine.  Those drips would mean you're close to not choking the machine.  Keep track of how much you change it between shots, so you have some idea what kind of effect each degree of change does.  It'll help you get to know your grinder.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
ericcomposer72

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Oscar, Silvia, Breville...
Grinder: Vario
Posted Mon Dec 9, 2013, 7:00pm

I used the barista express for over a year, so perhaps I can offer some insight:

My guess would be you are over-dosing; check that first. I used several different types of coffee, and never set the grinder below 13 for any of them, if I remember correctly. I often had it set on "finest."

As far as the grinder: do not trust its dosing consistency or default settings for "single" or "double" shots, "pressured portafilter," etc. I had to set the volume very low ("pressurized portafilter" range) to already get 17g in for the double basket, but because of inconsistency, I mostly just used the manual feature by holding it into the button. I'd also advise to use the double basket, rather than the single...

Hope you start getting some good shots. I was pleasantly surprised by the ability of this machine to produce some great shots every now and then...

Eric
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Breville Barista...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.304053068161)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+