Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Interested in buying a espresso machine
100% Organic Guate Coffee
Temblor is a very smooth Guatemalan coffee that presents notes of spice, cinnamon, and chocolate.
www.thelostgringo.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Interested in...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
VindiPanda

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 2:57am
Subject: Interested in buying a espresso machine

I wondering if it is possible to buy a espresso machine on a budget of 200-300 dollars that can make decent espresso. A relative recently upgraded and gave me there Rancilio rocky grinder, the other essential accessories I can budget for separately. I am fine buying used, just looking for the best bang for the buck machine available.
 View Profile Link to this post
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 7:36am
Subject: Re: Interested in buying a espresso machine

If you already have a grinder that is good because your budget is tight.  I would look for a good used machine.  I got my Oscar, light duty HX machine for 475.  I have seen them as low as 250 but that is rare.  Did you read the sticky?

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
VindiPanda

Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 7:48am

Sorry completely missed it

1. I mainly drink espresso sometimes cappuccinos
  2. almost never more than 2 drinks at a time
  3. 10-20 drinks a week
  4. I will need a machine with a reservoir
  5. I only have a 15 amp circuit available
  6. 300 USD for the machine, already have a grinder
  7. Used is fine but I do not have the ability repair a machine
  8. I still need to get some accessories but they do not need to be included in the 300 dollar budget for the machine
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Dec 12, 2013, 1:26pm

Though CoffeeGeek can NOT stand behind any of the private sales, as they are private transactions and the website is not involved and will not be involved in any way, the machines offered for sale there TEND but there is no guarantee, to be in pretty good shape and unless the add says the machine needs work, you can pretty much count on the machine being OK. The VAST majority of the people there are honest and more than up front in how they represent the items.

At that price range, you are solidly in the lower end starter machines. There is nothing wrong with that as we all need to start some place but though these machines can produce good to great espresso, they take a whole lot more work at it because of their small sized boilers and bare bones features.

Rocky is a OK starter grinder but the market has moved on since he was introduced. You might want to look into some of the many mods that have been done on Rocky, first start with making him stepless as this is one of the biggest drawbacks with that grinder.

As to a specific machine, there are very few new machines at that price level worth having brand new, but by going used you open up the choices. It pretty much is whatever you can find at that price point, someone moving up from a starter machine is most likely the person who will be posting an add in the $300 range.

Good luck!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Buckley

Espresso: Londinium I, Olympia Maxima,...
Grinder: Compak K-10 WBC, Gaggia MDF
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Nondescript popper
Posted Fri Dec 13, 2013, 1:11pm

Dear VindiPanda,

Your budget guarantees that you will purchase a simple, uncomplicated machine that, therefore, will require you to learn how to balance roast freshness, grind size, water temperature and infusion yourself because the machine will not do it for you.  The advantages of this is that you will learn a lot and be more of an expert than if you bought a semi-auto, also the machine will be easier to afford, maintain and understand than a complex one.  The disadvantage is that the quality is completely on your shoulders and there is a learning curve, but it may not take you more than 1/4 pound of coffee to get the hang of it with a little self-discipline and the ability to remember what you did the day before.  Since you have a grinder, I assume that I do not have to preach to you about fresh, quality roasts.

Therefore, my first suggestion is a new Mypress twist v2. ($169).  
My second suggestion is a used premillenial La Pavoni Europiccola.  My third is a millenial La Pavoni Europiccola.  You can buy on ebay but be sure the seller is on the level.  You can buy one for $300-350, easily and as low as $150 with luck.  Make sure you ask questions, like, does it have a brass plunger (premillenial only), is the boiler body dented at all (especially where the 'T' steam valve joins), are the gaskets new or old?  These machines last forever and are easy and relatively cheap to maintain oneself.  Be sure to read about their tendency to overheat after the first two pulls.
My fourth suggestion is go to a local commercial coffee maintenance company in Ann Arbor, Flint or Detroit.  Go to ones who service espresso machines and they will have refurbished models but these are likely to be relatively complex commercial machines and not consumer or 'prosumer' machines.  Neverthelss, you make luck out and they have something appropriate; or they may know the local network of coffee hobbyists.  Also, they can usually fix what you buy from them in the future.

Good luck,

buck
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Sat Dec 14, 2013, 8:25pm

Have they started selling the twist again? I know they had stopped but I never kept up with them.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
Buckley

Espresso: Londinium I, Olympia Maxima,...
Grinder: Compak K-10 WBC, Gaggia MDF
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Nondescript popper
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 7:41am

You may confirm this for yourself:
http://mypressi.com/
B
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 9:06am

This site suggests a starter Gaggia pump espresso machine for $200 (less on special). I bought a Nemox junior for $99 from Ist line when they first offered them. When I received it, I filled it, heated it, made a cup and promptly emptied and stored it away for emergency use if my Lelit. bought for $299 when a new iteration was looming and they were presumably making room for a  bunch of upgraded devices.  The Nemox Junior on their site is selling for $149 now. They have recently been throwing one into orders of over $1000, gratis.

What was said about fresh beans, proper grind, tamping, correct weight of dose blah, blah, blah is quite correct. Ya gotta learn somewhere and these machines really won't hold your hand. You do know what a good shot tastes like, right? You do know what you will be striving for? lol

Sky
Skylar

Espresso: lelit espresso
Grinder: lelit grinder
Vac Pot: B. D. Electric
Drip: chemex
Roaster: wok roast and popper, heat...
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 11:58am

I just checked. Whole Latte Love has Gaggia Pure on sale for $159.

Nuff said.

Sky
marosmith
marosmith

Espresso: Silvia V2
Grinder: Baratza Encore
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 1:52pm

Ok ok, I had to sign up and post here:

1. An encore is just fine for espresso. The lack of micro-adjustments may make it harder to dial in.
  2. I started with a saeco barista and could make an ok shot.
  3. A saeco sirena with a naked portafilter made excellent shots. It took effort, but for $200 for a used machine and a grinder anyone can pull good shots.
  4. I upgraded to a silvia which also can pull great shots, build quality and durability make it much better than the sirena. The silvia can be purchased used for $300 if one looks hard enough.

My point? It may be more difficult to pull a good shot with cheaper used equipment. The cheaper equipment like the sirena are not going to last 20 years etc.... However anyone can make excellent espresso with these machines.

The more $$$$, the easier it will be to get a consistent shot and dial everything in. Further, you will gain durability and ease of ability to replace parts.

When new folks post a price limit, respect that and give them their options. I think anyone can understand that spending more money will get you a better product, however it's not a necessity.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Interested in...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
LavAzza Espresso Machines
Awesome capsule espresso machines. Perfect for home, office and restaurant applications.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.377830982208)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+