Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Pump questions???
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pump...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Gaggia_guy87

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 2:05pm
Subject: Pump questions???

So...

i bought few weeks ago a used Gaggia Evolution from some women on kijiji. She said that she got it 3 years ago as a gift and rarely used it. When i arrived at home i've plugged it in and find out that the group was completely jammed with calcium and coffee. So i opened up the whole thing and clean it. Right now, the boiler and the group are completely clean and functional but I still cannot get a good shot from the machine. However, i've noticed that the pump, even though it seems to work well, is quite noisy comparing to my friend's machine. My pump makes a quite loud and seems to knock on something while it vibrates but i've checked it and tried to replace it on it mount, i even grabbed it with my fingers while it was running to be sure it wasn't knocking on something and still, didn't change the sound.

So, i've checked in my friend's machine to see his pump (he has a Gaggia Evolution as well), and saw that he has the Orange Pump (CP3A 52W 120V/60Hz). His machine makes a certain noise but it's not annoying , it's a nice smooth rattle. I have the Ulka EAX5 52W 120V/60Hz. And by searching on the web i've found out that the Evolution come with the Ulka EP5.

So... my questions are... Does someone knows the difference between those pumps? Which one is better? Is the EAX5 is supposed to be louder than the CP3A?

Matt

P.S. I Saw on my pump that it is 6 years old... it was made in 07. Is it old?
 View Profile Link to this post
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Sun Dec 15, 2013, 9:09pm
Subject: Re: Pump questions???

Welcome to CG.

Gaggia has used both pumps at times.  I think the orange one is old, but I don't see a date for that machine.  It is Invensys

Click Here (www.aet-us.com)

ULKA are here and the specs.

Click Here (www.ulka.it)

The pumps are basically interchangeable in terms of use. I can't verify that the actual mount is the same, but probably will fit.  As far as noise, there are variables. My ULKA is quieter as it pumps against load or back pressure.  It seems quieter with the reservoir tank full but there is less work to input water then.  Much of the noise on my Classic is the drain pan and cover and if I damp that out, less noise. Noise is inherent in the vib pumps.  Iv you open the steam valve and catch the water from the steam wand and group, what is the water volume in say 15 seconds.  Healthy pumps put out about 10 ml/sec if no back pressure.

Hope that help, at least to get you started.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
Gaggia_guy87

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 4:26pm

Well i got about 125ml in 15 sec by the group without portafilter and about 140ml by the steamwand
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 4:34pm

My post may have been unclear.  Usually if the steam wand is open some water may still come out the group.  I was asking for total water out of both together in 15 seconds.  If you meant it that way, that is 265 ml out in 15 seconds.  Still if those are individual runs, the volume is not bad. Total out for a pump should be about 150 - 160 ml/15sec.  600ml/min plus.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Pump...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.311716079712)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+