Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Semi-Auto Espresso Machine Advice, just for shots; no milk.
Rancilio Silvia - How to
Step by step guide for easy brewing and steaming with the Rancilio Silvia
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Semi-Auto...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 2 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
Author Messages
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Elektra T1 - La Valentina -...
Grinder: Mahlkönig K30 Vario -...
Vac Pot: Yama 5-cup
Drip: CCD, Chemex
Roaster: No, no, not another...
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 12:35pm
Subject: Re: Semi-Auto Espresso Machine Advice, just for shots; no milk.

Let me take this from the top . . .

Pendel Said:

I am presently using Saeco Aroma with a Capresso Infinity

Posted December 16, 2013 link

Oh, lord -- YES, upgrade the equipment PRONTO!

Pendel Said:

. . . and awaiting delivery on a used Rancilio Rocky.

Serious advice:  either modify it to be stepless, or -- even better -- clean it, flip it, and buy a better grinder.  Honest.  If not now, then as soon as you can afford it.  

Pendel Said:

I use the espresso machine to "pull" a few shots per day only, and never froth milk.

And never make a milk drink (cortado, cappuccino, latte, etc.) for a friend?

If you are serious about never EVER needing to steam milk, I'd suggest you get an SBDU like -- oh, wait a minute, we still don't what your budget is, and . . .  

Pendel Said:

During this gift-giving time of year my selfish mind has been wondering whether there is a significantly better machine that can be had for my purposes without breaking my loved one's bank.
(emphasis added - jbl)

Yes, well, I'd love Paris Hilton if I could access her bank, too, but it would be very helpful if you would really give us some concrete numbers.  I, for one, have no idea would would and would not break your loved one's bank . . .

I was going to say that if you really, honestly, truly NEVER need to steam milk, I'd look at an SBDU machine like the Quick Mill Silvano ($995) or the Isomac Venus ($799).  OR you could really "pull" shots on a manual machine like a Pavoni Europiccola EPC-8 ($789) or a Ponte Vecchio Export ($1099).

Then again . . .

Pendel Said:

So, would Gaggia Classic be a noticeable improvement over the Aroma? (Both paired with the Rocky.)

Posted December 17, 2013 link

Yes, IMHO, but they'd also be even better paired with a better grinder.  That said, I'd take the Gaggia over the Aroma any day of the week . . . but I'm biased having used a Gaggia for 25 years.

A morning without coffee is sleep . . .
 View Profile Link to this post
Pendel
Pendel
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: MCAL & Cremina
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 1:21pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

Let me take this from the top . . .

Oh, lord -- YES, upgrade the equipment PRONTO!

Serious advice:  either modify it to be stepless, or -- even better -- clean it, flip it, and buy a better grinder.  Honest.  If not now, then as soon as you can afford it.  

And never make a milk drink (cortado, cappuccino, latte, etc.) for a friend?

If you are serious about never EVER needing to steam milk, I'd suggest you get an SBDU like -- oh, wait a minute, we still don't what your budget is, and . . .  

Yes, well, I'd love Paris Hilton if I could access her bank, too, but it would be very helpful if you would really give us some concrete numbers.  I, for one, have no idea would would and would not break your loved one's bank . . .

I was going to say that if you really, honestly, truly NEVER need to steam milk, I'd look at an SBDU machine like the Quick Mill Silvano ($995) or the Isomac Venus ($799).  OR you could really "pull" shots on a manual machine like a Pavoni Europiccola EPC-8 ($789) or a Ponte Vecchio Export ($1099).

Then again . . .

Yes, IMHO, but they'd also be even better paired with a better grinder.  That said, I'd take the Gaggia over the Aroma any day of the week . . . but I'm biased having used a Gaggia for 25 years.

Thanks for the ideas!

The milk REALLY is a non-issue. When I have friends over, I whip out my Nespresso frother and voila, they are all happy (with a few stiff drinks in them, ahead of time, of course). Sacrilege, I know. Alas...

I am trying to upgrade the grinder first, since mine is clearly not up to snuff, even though I shimmed it and so it is a lot better than stock. Rocky seemed like a good next step, and if I can mod it cleverly to be stepless, perhaps it will do. If not, I guess Mazzer Mini or some such would be the following step. Given the small volume of grinding that I do, these master machines feel like an overkill, partly because I am not yet fully understanding what they do so much better than a Rocky (apart from being stepless, of course).

I also have to confess that I do like my Aroma, which has served me flawlessly, through "course and fine" for almost seven years. I like that it is a no-nonesense tank with mechanical switches, and a reliable enabler early in the morning. I realize it will not last forever, and so I am seriously starting to consider the next step, but I don't think I am ready for a $1K machine. As I have mentioned already, I don't need a machine that will switch between shots and milk effortlessly. If there is a basic no-frills easy to maintain tank of a machine, that is not fussy and pulls great shots, markedly better than Aroma, then that would be my choice. If not, I will try to see if a better grinder will make enough difference.

As far as the budget goes, it is not much. I am the only regular espresso drinker in the family, and so I would have to make a pretty convincing case for an expensive upgrade for the loved ones not to laugh me out of the kitchen.

:-)
SpaceTime

Espresso: 83 & 89 Cremina, 85 Coffex
Grinder: HG One, Pharos, LIDO
Drip: Freiling 33 & 44oz FP,...
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 3:39pm

Pendel Said:

When I have friends over, I whip out my Nespresso ...

Something about that combination of words just sounds wrong  LOL

I know, it's a family oriented site...
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 5:24pm

Pendel Said:

The milk REALLY is a non-issue. When I have friends over, I whip out my Nespresso frother and voila, they are all happy (with a few stiff drinks in them, ahead of time, of course). Sacrilege, I know. Alas…

Hey, if they like it . . .

Pendel Said:

If there is a basic no-frills easy to maintain tank of a machine, that is not fussy and pulls great shots, markedly better than Aroma, then that would be my choice.  If not, I will try to see if a better grinder will make enough difference.

You have it backwards.

A grinder upgrade from the Infinity is mandatory!  A grinder upgrade from the Rocky is essential, but it can wait for the piggy bank to revoker from surgery . . .

As far as a "tank" is concerned, honestly no machine under $1K is built like a tank, but I'd certainly take a Gaggia Classic over a Saeco Aroma in a heartbeat.

But if I were you, I'd definitely do grinder first, machine second.

SpaceTime

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 6:01pm

JasonBrandtLewis Said:

A grinder upgrade from the Infinity is mandatory!  A grinder upgrade from the Rocky is essential, but it can wait for the piggy bank to revoker from surgery . . .

But if I were you, I'd definitely do grinder first, machine second.

Just curious, what grinder would that be IYHO given that we are on a "budget" (although the budget is still unstated) ;-) and also knowing we cannot hide a bad grind / shot with milk in this case?  

Not that it is possible to pull a bad shot on a Gaggia or anything... ;-)
JasonBrandtLewis
JasonBrandtLewis

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 6:26pm

I am a firm believer in The Four M's of Espresso.  All four are equally important, but none more so than the grinder.  Thus, you spend as much as you can on the grinder without blowing your budget, and proportionately, the less expensive the machine, the higher percentage of your money is spent on the grinder.  So, for example, if you're spending say $12,000+ on an espresso machine, a Mazzer Robur-E is but a fraction of the cost at $2,599.  But if you're spending <$500 on an espresso machine . . . you're going to have to fork out -- again, IMHO -- an equal amount on the grinder!  

Don't misunderstand:  the Rocky was a fine grinder until others came along and blasted it out of here proverbial water!  I'd look at the following:  
-- a factory-refurbished Baratza Vario;
-- a USED Mazzer Super Jolly, if I could afford it; if not, a used Mazzer Mini or Macap MC4 (and then buying a new set of burrs);
-- a Compak K3 Touch, which I doubt you could find used; OR,
-- possibly a suitable manual grinder, but that is only for the OP since he is the only one drinking espresso.  Hand grinders are a PITA when needing to make multiple drinks!

SpaceTime

Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 8:26pm

I tend to agree with your assessment.... good recommendations for someone on a budget - agree that a used or refurb'd Vario is a good option, and agree with your manual grinder assessment also.  I own a Pharos and a LIDO (both manual), and they are my favorite for onesy - twosy shots, but there is a reason I have a second electric grinder for FP / Drip and will have another for espresso soon - for the very reason you stated - in case I have thirsty and impatient guests!  LOL.

But the statement from the OP keeps ringing in my head "As far as the budget goes, it is not much. I am the only regular espresso drinker in the family, and so I would have to make a pretty convincing case for an expensive upgrade for the loved ones not to laugh me out of the kitchen."

So, Pendel - what are you thinking for grinder??
Pendel
Pendel

Espresso: MCAL & Cremina
Grinder: Macap M4
Posted Tue Dec 17, 2013, 11:42pm

Well, I am pretty much in the sub-$300 category for the grinder at this point, with a used Rocky coming my way in a few days. I plan to get the new burrs, teflon tape the upper burr block threads, and mod the grinder to be stepless (via a very sweet mod I found at Click Here (www.home-barista.com)). Will see what this does to the quality of the shots and go from there. I may start trawling for an affordable (to me) used SJ all the same. Perhaps I will get lucky some day.

Thanks for the input, all of you!

SpaceTime

Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 9:05am

Cheers Pendel.  

Although some might think you need more than a Rocky, it is still a fine grinder that has made MANY a happy espresso enthusiast.  For most people, the price point for a Rocky is already stretching it, and the though of paying $350 for a grinder is at the upper end.  I get that.

If at the end of the day you are starting at your new (or used) Gaggia Classic, paired up with a Rocky grinder, right there you have the ability to make better espresso than 99.99% of the population in their kitchen!!!  Paying more might start to squeeze out more consistency and ease of use, but one could argue not much more quality potentially - at some point it comes down to the operator and their skill level.  There are people out there who are pulling some darn good espresso shots with the very same setup you are targeting.

Remember, there are folks with $4000 setups that can't pull a decent shot, and there are folks with $500 setups that are.

emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Dec 18, 2013, 10:03am

SpaceTime Said:

Although some might think you need more than a Rocky, it is still a fine grinder that has made MANY a happy espresso enthusiast.  For most people, the price point for a Rocky is already stretching it, and the though of paying $350 for a grinder is at the upper end.  I get that.

Posted December 18, 2013 link

yeah, I get that too...but what it really boils down to is "ignorance is bliss".  If you move from bad to good, but go no further, you won't really understand how much better excellent is.  In this scenario, Rocky is "good". It's like getting a Toyota Corolla or Nissan Sentra* after years of using a Schwinn* for transportation.  If you never drive a Mercedes* or BMW*, then you'll never know what you're missing.

SpaceTime Said:

If at the end of the day you are starting at your new (or used) Gaggia Classic, paired up with a Rocky grinder, right there you have the ability to make better espresso than 99.99% of the population in their kitchen!!!

True that!

SpaceTime Said:

Paying more might start to squeeze out more consistency and ease of use, but one could argue not much more quality potentially - at some point it comes down to the operator and their skill level.  There are people out there who are pulling some darn good espresso shots with the very same setup you are targeting.

Although I agree that operator skills are a huge factor in both quality and consistency. The quality of espresso capable from different classes of grinders is, perhaps, the least appreciated and understood factor in making excellent espresso.

Modding a Rocky to stepless is going to really help the owner get the most out of that grinder, but in the end, it's still a Rocky, and it doesn't hold a candle to a high end grinder in the cup (even a Mazzer Mini class grinder), all other factors being similar.  But again...I completely agree with the 99.99% statement above.

• The cars and bicycle were selected due to common knowledge of their general build and performance quality.  This was not meant to bash anybody's personal mode of transportation.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
showing page 2 of 8 first page | last page previous page | next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Semi-Auto...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.524631977081)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+