Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Upgrading from Mypressi
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading from...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
bcx

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 6:43pm
Subject: Upgrading from Mypressi

Hi,

I've been using a Mypressi and a Bellman stovetop steamer and I'm not satisfied with the latter's ability to steam milk for cappuccinos. I'm looking to take it to the next level and from what I can tell a $500 machine won't cut it so I'm okay with spending more to make my life easier. Can anyone recommend a machine around $800 that will fit my needs?

- I have a Preciso grinder so hopefully this budget can go all towards the espresso machine
- mainly make cappuccinos and I get frustrated steaming with the Bellman so dual boiler would be nice
- I would appreciate a good steam wand (or easily replaceable to a good steam wand, no-burn, 4-holes?)
- hope the shot is at least as decent as the Mypressi
- I usually just make two cups per session, probably would never make more than 4 at a time
- if there's a machine slightly over my budget that's far superior, I might consider that

Any suggestions appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Cremina 67 Lever,  LCM HX
Grinder: HG One, Forte BG
Drip: Mellita #2 cone
Roaster: jiffy pop
Posted Sun Dec 22, 2013, 11:58pm
Subject: Re: Upgrading from Mypressi

Try a frothing wand before you dump a crap load of money on a new setup just because your unhappy with the steam performance of a stove-top steamer, although the Bellman's are known performers in this area.  So perhaps you might want to practice more? It's really not that hard with the right instruction.

That is, of course, you're actually looking for a reason to upgrade.. ;)
bcx

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 6:39am

Do you mean replacing the wand on the Bellman? I didn't think that was possible. Also I think the steamer I have is the original the Bellman is based off. The knob for the steam and the wand angle are not friendly to making microfoam.

bcx: image.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:02am

If you are happy with everything but foam, I would probably get a used krupps steam driven espresso machine at a thrift store or garage sale and use that for foam for like 10$ or less.  If I were you, I would upgrade my grinder first, you will never be sorry you upgraded your grinder.  Your grinder should be fine, but trust me the Vario is so much better and my K30 is so much better than my vario W.  (except I miss the grind by weight feature, I wish I was smart enough to mod it to grind by weight)

If you are set on upgrading, new CC1 or a used Oscar would be in your price range.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
bcx

Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 8:24am

I've thought about getting a lesser machine just for the steaming capabilities but counterspace is also an issue there.

As for the grinder, I would consider upgrading to a Vario in the future but I would probably never go higher than that for my personal use at home. My Preciso works for me right now and I'm not ready to give it up just yet.

I'll take a look at the CC1 and Oscar options. Thanks!
Buckley

Espresso: Londinium I, Olympia Maxima,...
Grinder: Compak K-10 WBC, Gaggia MDF
Drip: Hario V60
Roaster: Nondescript popper
Posted Mon Dec 23, 2013, 9:01am

Yes, if you are happy with the Mypressi, just limit yourself to invetstingating different froth/steam options.
No mater what you buy (inexpensive lever, HX, DB), you are just asking for a whole new learning curve to get back to the shots you are now currently enjoying, while you may or may not be happier with the steaming.

Buckley
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 3:43am

bcx Said:

Do you mean replacing the wand on the Bellman? I didn't think that was possible. Also I think the steamer I have is the original the Bellman is based off. The knob for the steam and the wand angle are not friendly to making microfoam.

Posted December 23, 2013 link

When I said 'frothing wand' I meant of the double-A variety, eg. Aerolatte. The cheaper the better, actually.  If you can get your hands on a $4 Ikea frothing wand, they are actually better than then $20 Aerolatte which have a heavier whisk and therefore slower and less efficient.

I have used frothing wands for quite some time in conjunction with the MyPressi before moved on to lever machines.  Frothing wands make gorgeous, creamy microfoam.. as good as (if not better than) most commercial-grade espresso machines.

Just nuke your milk in the microwave for a minute before frothing.    Keep in mind there *is* some technique to it. You can't just plunk it in and turn it on. Doing so will just spin the milk round and round.   Similar to steam-frothing techniques, you need to aerate the milk for a couple of seconds, and then submerge and let it run.  The whisk will break up the air bubbles finer and finer the longer you let it run.  The milk will simply get creamier and creamier.

Here's a video demonstrating how to properly froth milk with a typical frothing wand that uses two AA batteries.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Fslq1PEMf8

Remember, there's a huge out of pocket cost to jump from MyPressi to a machine that can make espresso of equal or better quality.  So far my shots on the MyPressi have yet to be matched, although I admit I think I'm getting close with my Cremina '67.
weebit_nutty
weebit_nutty

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 3:47am
Subject: ---[dupe]

[deleted dupe]
bcx

Posted Wed Dec 25, 2013, 8:50am

I've never tried a frothing wand but I do have the plunger variety of a milk frother. Microwaving milk doesn't seem to yield the same taste as steaming it though. Perhaps I could get a frothing wand and steam my milk using the Bellman, then using the frothing wand afterwards.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Upgrading from...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Espresso Makers
Premium stovetop espresso makers, electric moka pots, machines & accessories.
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.358947038651)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+