Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
How long to froth milk w/ Gaggia Classic?
Quality Espresso Machines
Imported Italian Espresso Machines, Coffee Machines & accessories for all your coffee needs!
www.thecoffeebrewers.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How long to...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
howlandm

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Capresso conical burr
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 6:52am
Subject: How long to froth milk w/ Gaggia Classic?

Hi there, first time poster here.

The last two years of my life have taken me from a standard drip, to grinding with a drip, to grinding with a french press, to now finally owning an espresso machine and enjoying latte.

I use a Gaggia Classic with Capresso 560 Infiniti conical burr.

My question is, how long should it take my Gaggia Classic to froth roughly 6 oz of milk? Maybe I'm crazy, but I think its taking longer than it used to. The machine is only a couple months old. Right now it takes between 60 and 90 seconds to froth 6 oz of milk and that seems a little long to me.

My process:
I turn on my machine and pull my shot of espresso around 5 minutes later. Then I switch the boiler over to steam. When the temperature is ready, I run the steamer for 5-10 seconds clearing out any water. This makes the boiler temp go down temporarily, turning off the "ready to steam" light and I wait a minute or so for the light to come back. When the light is back, I froth my milk. Within 5-10 seconds of the steam wand being open and frothing my milk, the light goes off again as it has lost temperature. At this point my milk is only around 80 degrees. The time it takes to get between 150-160 degrees is between 60 and 90 seconds, typically closer to 90.

Does all this sound right or might something be wrong?
 View Profile Link to this post
mennamorato

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rocket Cellini Premium Plus...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 8:43am
Subject: Re: How long to froth milk w/ Gaggia Classic

To be honest, you shouldn't expect much power out of a Classic. If it has been progressively getting worse remove the wand and look for any new scale buildup or a clog. One common upgrade is to put on a silvia wand which might increases performance.
If your looking for better steam performance you will need to upgrade.
howlandm

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 9:09am

Not really looking for steam performance per say, just rather how long the broiler should hold heat and froth my milk to temp. Maybe that is steam performance?
SJM

Espresso: SAMA, Gaggia Classic
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 9:12am

It is true that adding a Silvia steam wand will improve your steaming capabilities, but  there are other things to attend to first.  

It is possible that your steam stat is not working, and that can be tested.
You also should be letting your Classic heat up for a good 20 minutes, not just the 5 that you are allotting it now.  Although the boiler ready light is going on for you, the mass of the machine isn't fully warmed and stabilized, and any cold parts of the machine can leach the heat away.
And, also, you can start your steaming before that ready light comes on.  I have a PID on my Classic, so I can read the boiler temps, but I find that once the temperature is above 140 degrees, I can start steaming;  the steam ready light doesn't actually come on until mor elike 180 degrees....plenty of time in between there to be getting that milk hot...

One last thing and that is to descale if you haven't been doing so.  Any scale buildup in the steam wand will limit your steaming capabilities as well.
steamer
steamer

Espresso: Expobar Brewtus IV R
Grinder: Mazzer Mini-B Baratza...
Vac Pot: Krubs Moka Brew, vacPot
Drip: TechV, and many more
Roaster: Hottop
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 9:50am
Subject: Re: How long to froth milk w/ Gaggia Classic?

I steam 12oz a milk at a time. I also have the Silvia wand on my classic. Yes you need the unit completely warm up, mine is given over 45 minutes before I use it as I have it on a timer. I can pull a shot, when that is done, I turn on the steam switch, when it is lit, I blow a quick blast, your 5-10 second is draining your steam. The 12 oz is about all a classic will handle without refilling the boiler, and then it will only be 150 deg. You can also drain water out of the wand before you pull the shot, there is enough power to blow any water out then. The water in the wand is what your really blowing out. Also make sure your boiler if full before heating up the unit.
SJM

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 10:12am

What Steamer said about that 5-10 seconds !!!!
I have a hard time with time, and didn't register when I first read that.  A quick open and shut is all you need, and priming the boiler before all of this also preserves your water and steam supply.

Later I will try to remember to time my steaming to see how it correlates to your 60-90 seconds.
howlandm

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 10:39am

Sorry. 5-10 was an exaggeration. It's more like 2-4 seconds. But I see your points, just a couple blasts.
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 10:55am

The 'ready to steam' light indicates the heater has turned off.  For maximum steam power and minimum steam time, you want to run the steam cycle with the heater on the entire time, never letting the ready light turn on. Start steaming before the 'steam ready'. A boiler thermometer really helps to get this down but timing it also works.
SJM

Posted Fri Dec 27, 2013, 11:40am

I usually steam more than 6 oz of milk, but I just tried 6 oz.
I opened the steam wand when the PID readout indicated 240 degrees and set the timer for 90 seconds.
The light went on with about 23 seconds left on the timer.
The milk was hot and done at 90 seconds.....and not a second sooner.

It felt like a short steaming session to me....
I can't see that 90 seconds is too long...
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Dec 28, 2013, 10:51am

90 seconds is too long for me... :) But when you have a tame dragon.... :)

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > How long to...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.324505090714)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+