Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Need help getting the most out of my Starbucks Barista machine (Saeco SIN006)
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
Gallansio

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 2, 2014, 11:54pm
Subject: Need help getting the most out of my Starbucks Barista machine (Saeco SIN006)

I totally understand that I'm working with an entry level machine, but it is a step up from my Delonghi EC155.  I'll upgrade someday when I know I've gotten the absolute best I can out of the Barista.

Most of you have moved onto bigger and better things, but I'm hoping there's someone out there that can bring me through how they use their Starbucks Barista machine.

Here's my process:

1. Turn power on
  2. Grind 16oz of beans, level and tamp.
  3. Turn steam button on when light turns green.
  4. Turn steam wand on until light goes out.
  5. Wait 15 seconds
  6. Purge wand for 1 second.
  7. Steam milk, flush and clean wand.
  8. Turn off steam button.
  9. Hit the top button without a portafilter until light goes out.
  10. Attach portafilter and pull shot.

Is there anything else I should be doing?

Thanks a lot!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 2:20am
Subject: Re: Need help getting the most out of my Starbucks Barista machine

It has been a while since I used a SBDU but when I do, I pull first then steam as it takes a while for the machine to cool down from steaming but not as long to warm up. I suspect that you are pulling the shots too soon after steaming and they are over temp. I suppose I could be wrong here, some of our SBDU users may be able to help you more. There is no GOOD way to do it on a SBDU, either you are letting the shots cool while you do the steaming or the milk seperates and cools while you are pulling the shots, but as I said, from what I remember, it is much quicker to warm the macing rather than trying to cool it down. What grinder do you have? The grinder is a HUGE part of the process and if you are not using a pressurized PF then the grinder is even more important.

Your beans need to be fresh too, use them before two weeks have passed SINCE THEY WERE ROASTED!! If there is a best by date or a use before date on the bag, they were stale long before you got to the store, don't buy them! I was supprised the last time I was in the supermarket, I think it was Petes brand that had a roast date on the bag, it was the first time I have seen a roast date ON the bag in a supermarket, I suppose there could be others but I don't buy coffee from the supermarket because of the age. Sadly even though I was able to find beans that were less than 3 weeks old, while at 3 weeks they are past their prime they are still drinkable but the sad thing was that ALL of the beans were raosted DARK and they had a pretty good coat of oil on them, a sure sign that they were roasted way darker than I care for, well into charcoal. I used them in a drip machine (I was totally out of coffee and the supermarket was the best I could do on short notice.) and though they did have a charcoal aftertaste, they were drinkable.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
Frost
Frost
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Fri Jan 3, 2014, 10:45am
Subject: Follow the espresso recipe:

Figure out a way to consistently get 200F brew water at 9 bar to the coffee. That is the best you can hope to do.
Gallansio

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 7:55pm
Subject: Re: Follow the espresso recipe:

Frost Said:

Figure out a way to consistently get 200F brew water at 9 bar to the coffee. That is the best you can hope to do.

Posted January 3, 2014 link

Should it be 200 for the entire pull or is it expected to start at 200 and quickly go down?
Frost
Frost

Espresso: Isomac Venus
Grinder: Lelit PL53
Roaster: Poppery I w/variac, MET, BT
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 10:42am
Subject: Re: Follow the espresso recipe:

Gallansio Said:

Should it be 200 for the entire pull or is it expected to start at 200 and quickly go down?

Posted January 9, 2014 link

Do the best you can. If it quickly goes down, hopefully not more that 2-3F. That is the problem with a boiler too small.  With some machines you can have the heater on during the pull (steam switch) to help compensate for this drop.
jtferraro

Espresso: Starbucks (Saeco) Barista,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aero Press
Drip: Bonavita Thermal
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 8:32pm
Subject: Need help getting the most out of my Starbucks Barista machine (Saeco SIN006)

I have a Starbucks Barista (Saeco Via Venezia) too.  Although I'm looking forward to upgrading, I do like this machine and I believe I'm close to getting the most out of it.  Here's my routine:

1) start it up.  if it's the first time I'm running it that day, I'll open the steam want to 'prime the pump', dispensing about 4oz of water.
2) at least 15 minutes later I'll start preparing my first espresso drink.  
3) provided green light is on, I'll press the brew button to ensure the group head, PF, and the desired cup (often taken from machine tops, which doesn't do much for pre-heating it but at least it's not cold).  If the cup comes from my cabinet, I'll heat it via hot water from my kitchen sink.
4) if making a milk based drink, provided the green light is on, I'll now turn on the steam button
5) while waiting for green steam light to illuminate, I usually weigh 17g of beans via my gram scale, which isn't to the decimal
6) once green light is on I'll open the steam valve slowly, pointing the wand into a small glass.  Once I confirm the appearance & sound of steam, I completely open the valve, pointing the wand down towards a little towel which is temporarily sitting on the the drip tray.  Once the green light goes off, I'll close the steam wand and move to the next step...but return to this step once the green light comes back on and repeat another time.  I usually do this 3 times if it's the first time running my machine that day, and typically 2-3 otherwise.  Doing so ensures nearly all water has passed through the system and all that's left is pure steam.
7) pour the 17g of beans into my Vario's hopper and usually grind them directly into my portafilter via yogurt cup method (Forte portaholder incoming!)
8) shake portafilter quicklky & tightly a few times to settle and roughly level the ground espresso
9) carefully place PF on bar towel, which sits on tamper mat, and carefully ease the yogurt cup from the PF
10) level grinds, ensuring there are no low points and no areas shy on grounds near basket's perimeter, where yogurt cup previously took up some space
11) place tamper on top of grinds to assist leveling and slightly adjust if necessary, then tamp and finally lightly spin to polish grinds and remove any from tamper's sides
12) inbetween turning the steam on and off and grinding the beans, I also grab stainless steel pitcher from the freezer, fill it just shy of the spout opening with 2% milk, and attach my thermometer to its side
13) as soon as the steam light comes back on, usually at the start of the third or fourth cycle, I dip the steam wand into the pitcher, below the milk's level and fully turn on the steam wand - stretch to 100 degrees F, then steam for the remainder - typically to 140 degrees
14) remove pitcher, turn off steam wand while thoroughly wiping wand's tip with a warm, very damp towel (the one the wand was previously pushing steam into) while simultaneously turning off steam
15) slowly open steam to dispense water (it will take a little while as it converts from steam to water), which will cool the machine as room temperature water from the tank is sucked back into the boiler and turn off steam (water) shortly after green light goes off
16) have stopwatch ready and when green light goes back on, press steam button and start stopwatch.  15 seconds later, turn off steam button, quickly wipe group head, lock PF in place and hit the brew button, while restarting stopwatch to time your extraction.  

I've learned this temperature surf & steam purge methods via searching the archives and feel they work well!

Now I'm most interested in learning the skills of consistently creating latte art.  Please share your thoughts on everything.

Thank you all,

-Jeff
pittsbri
pittsbri
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Pasquini Livietta,Aeropress
Grinder: Baratza Vario,Zassenhaus
Drip: Hario,Chemex
Roaster: Poppery 2
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 10:02pm
Subject: Re: Need help getting the most out of my Starbucks Barista machine

It's been awhile since I've used a SBDU machine but I remember that it was very instructive in that over time I became painfully aware of what it could NOT do. Every step of trying to modify the machine and learn a new 'dance' to make amazing espresso was an education. In the end I wouldn't trade a moment of that learning period for anything. Back then I thought 500 dollars was 'crazy' to pay for an espresso machine but after a couple of years I happily paid twice that for a used heat exchanger machine. I sometimes would like to know what it'd be like to use one now but the build quality of the SBDU machines now is just too much of a turn off.
I hear that great espresso can be gotten from units like the Barista but I've never actually achieved those results with similar machines. Good luck with your journey and I ditto all the other helpful advice you've gotten in the previous replies. Good stuff.

www.brianpittsphotography.blogspot.com
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Need help...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Don't suffer bad espresso
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, VBM, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.367321968079)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+