Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
On the right path
Support Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids is a non profit charity working with farming communities around the world. Donate today!
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > On the right...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
Author Messages
donski

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 8:30am
Subject: On the right path

Hi all.....completely new to this but read a lot on here before embarking....

Wife bought me a Gaggia Classic for Chrimbo......kind enough to also think about using it so she bought me some of the Waitrose own brand ESE pods. Not really what the Gaggia is about but at least it got me going on Christmas day :-)

So....using the pod with the default "perfect Crema" filters that come with the machine I got fairly good espresso....brew time of about 22 seconds with a fairly good crema (albeit a little artificial due to the out of the box filters and pin that you get with the classic) but I want to make a real espresso.

Alas, my local roaster was closed for the entire Christmas period so I bought dome pre-ground Lavazzi from the supermarket. I know this is still far from ideal for the real experience but I thought it would allow me to get some practice in at least. Needless to say it hasn't worked out and I'm just looking for a little reassurance that my assumptions for this are correct.

So - got a brew time of about 12 seconds for 1oz. Tried tamping as hard as I dare but made no difference though I did manage a crema of sorts.....resulting grounds in the filter are quite wet as well.

My assumptions for this poor result are as follows:-

1. This is not the freshest coffee being pre-ground, pre-packed supermarket product.
  2. Although the package says fine ground suitable for espresso makers, the reality is it probably still isn't fine enough hence the short brew time.
  3. I still have the Gaggia pressurised baskets and crema pin.
  4. Me - Need more practice

I know this is an art and I need to practice to get it right so I have ordered the non-pressurised baskets and I'm off to the roaster later to get FRESH coffee. At least then I can remove those variables from my hitlist and I'll know that results are down to me after that. I don't have a grinder yet but the roaster will hopefully grind a small batch for me.

Are my assumptions close to the mark?

Thanks in advance.
 View Profile Link to this post
donski

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 8:41am
Subject: Re: On the right path

I'm confident that the coffee I am using is far from ideal but the particular Lavazza cooffee I have is the Qualita Rossa blend/grind if it helps.....

Thanks
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 8:55am

1, 2, 3, and 4, all correct.

You'll need to buy:
  1. An unpressurized portafilter and a standard basket.  You don't need a bottomless pf (nice to have, though), just a pf that fits in the Gaggia's group head;
  2. Some decent and fresh beans; and
  3. A decent espresso grinder.  

Beans:
It depends on the supermarket of course, but few of them carry decent beans.  FWIW, "decent" includes but is not limited to a roast date so you know you're never brewing beans which are more than three weeks post roast.  Try and get something with a reputation for being sweet, chocolatey, and otherwise easy.  

Grinder:
If you're buying new, "decent" starts at close to $300.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
PJK
PJK
Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillo Silvia, Tonic...
Grinder: Modified Rocky, Elma side...
Vac Pot: Old Silex
Drip: Melitta BCM 4  +Some old...
Roaster: Hottop, Modified Z&D,...
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 9:21am

Listen to BDL!

The grinder is more important than the espresso machine!

Unless you live next door to the roaster and you have him grind for the shot and run home with the grounds, your fresh coffee won't be when you pull the shot.

Phil

boar_d_laze Said:

1, 2, 3, and 4, all correct.

You'll need to buy:
An unpressurized portafilter and a standard basket.  You don't need a bottomless pf (nice to have, though), just a pf that fits in the Gaggia's group head;
Some decent and fresh beans; and
A decent espresso grinder.  

Beans:
It depends on the supermarket of course, but few of them carry decent beans.  FWIW, "decent" includes but is not limited to a roast date so you know you're never brewing beans which are more than three weeks post roast.  Try and get something with a reputation for being sweet, chocolatey, and otherwise easy.  

Grinder:
If you're buying new, "decent" starts at close to $300.  

BDL

Posted January 6, 2014 link

Philip J. Keleshian
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 9:53am

The grinder must be designed for espresso, it is a different type of grind, not just finer.
You need the grinder because
1 the coffee will go stale in about 15 minutes, yes it really does happen that fast,
2 the grind is critical, and it changes constantly, day to day and sometimes even hour to hour, there is NO WAY anyone else can grind your coffee for you and even if they nailed it for today, tomorrow, it will be wrong as the coffee ages and the weather changes.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
donski

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 10:01am

Thanks to all of you......It helps knowing....

The grinder is definitely a priority.....Just going to have to make the best of it until then.

Just one question.....why do I need a new pf. I thought it was just the difference in the basket that differentiated pressurized from unpressurized?

Cheers
StanleySpadowski

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF, Kyocera CM-50
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 10:23am

donski Said:

The grinder is definitely a priority.....Just going to have to make the best of it until then.

Posted January 6, 2014 link

You're going to be frustrated until you get a decent grinder.  IMO you can survive with an inexpensive (and stepless-modified) Hario Skerton/Kyocera CM-50 hand grinder until you've saved up for something nicer (like an OrphanEspresso Pharos, or a pricier electric grinder, if you must).  Other people with more experience than I have will tell you that the Skerton is unacceptable, or barely marginal at best.  My feeling is that your standards are currently pretty low, and that you can get some mileage out of the Skerton for a while.  At least that's been my experience as a Gaggia Classic/Kyocera espresso n00b.

Just one question.....why do I need a new pf. I thought it was just the difference in the basket that differentiated pressurized from unpressurized?

I believe you only need to remove the little rubber gasket from the bottom of the portafilter and use a standard basket.  You shouldn't need a new portafilter.
D4F

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 10:25am

Yep, unless you get a different pf than the rest of us, you have a regular OEM pf and it just needs the device removed and a non-pressurized double basket, and grinder as noted.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
StanleySpadowski

Espresso: Gaggia Classic
Grinder: Gaggia MDF, Kyocera CM-50
Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 10:30am

Oh, I forgot to mention: your Classic was probably shipped with the pressure set too high -- or rather, set to a pressure suitable for ESE pods.  You're going to have difficulty getting tasty shots when the pressure is 12+ bar.  You can find numerous threads on the Classic's OPV adjustment.  Here is a link that shows how to make the adjustment: Classic OPV adjustment
donski

Posted Mon Jan 6, 2014, 10:53am

Thanks Stan/D4F

Time to google grinders to death......

Will take a look at the pressure.....will need to find a compromise somewhere as the missus wants to be able to shove a pod in without the fuss.

Cheers all.
showing page 1 of 3 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > On the right...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.382827997208)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+