Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Nearly there! Is time to get it! Simonelli Oscar or expobar?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nearly there! Is...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
frankie24

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 12:53am
Subject: Nearly there! Is time to get it! Simonelli Oscar or expobar?

After another post and looking at your replies I saw I was wrong so I changed my mind(which is not easy)
I want to buy an espresso machine and my drinks will be mostly lattes and hot chocolate(trying to make new latte art)
My budget is maximum 1000( which was 800 in my first post) with a grinder.
I will make around 5 drinks a day, and sometimes they could be in a row..
Here are my options
- nuova simonelli oscar: is not pretty but many people said is a great machine which is an hx
- expobar pulser: is an hx as well
- finally my last option would be the fracino Piccino: is the only dual boiler but I can't find to much information about it and is more expensive so I would cut my budget from the grinder which is not good.

I'm in europe so it should be easy to find parts.
The grinder I was thinking was the simonelli fmc. I know is not the best grinder and I would love to have the baratza vario or the mini mazzer but is too expensive and impossible to get second hand

Whatever I buy I will get probably from amazon, I found a place which the price is 140 cheaper but that place is coffeeitalia and many people had problems, so I prefer to pay more and be sure.

What would you buy in my case?
Thanks
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 4:56am
Subject: Re: Nearly there! Is time to get it! Simonelli Oscar or expobar?

I am not a fan of Expobar, yes the case is stainless steel and fairly heavy for what it is, I have a thermoblock made by them in the same case, the drip tray liner is blow molded and thin, so so quality for the rest of the machine though I have not been inside a pulsar. (  bought it at auction for less than the value of the pump and used it for parts in a Sylvia rebuild). Oscar may not be the most fashionable but it is solid. There have been negative comments  on the Oscar because it does not have a hot water wand but you can get all the water you want from the brew group, just don't put coffee in the PF and 'pull' the water into your cup. Doing a descale on Oscar can be a little hard because of where the drain plug on the boiler is but it is still doable.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
DanoM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar, '84 La Pavoni Pro,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario, La Pavoni PGC
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 10:53am

Another note on Oscar & hot water:  If you need hot water for tea or something like that quickly you don't want coffee infused flavors via the group, so in that case take a stainless pitcher with the amount of water you want to heat, dip in the steam wand and let it steam until it's as hot as you want it.
As a test I put 16oz~500ml of water in a pitcher and steamed it.
Water started at 59F and in 62 seconds I hit 190F.

Oscar is a great machine even if it's not so pretty.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 11:01am

If you're looking to use water for chocolate, an Oscar won't meet your needs.  For your purposes, the Expobar is probably better.

BDL
jtferraro

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Starbucks (Saeco) Barista,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aero Press
Drip: Bonavita Thermal
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 12:54pm

I too really want an Oscar.  If your plan is to use the Oscar to steam the milk for hot chocolate (as opposed to making it with hot water), it would be GREAT for that!
frankie24

Expertise: Professional

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 1:30pm

I don't really mind about the hot water, and with the tips you gave me I don't care longer hahaha. I will use a chocolate sauce which I can get from work, so my chocolates will be made with milk instead of hot water, that's why is not that importat. I have a kettle at home that heat very fast the water as well( I normaly use for tea)
Is great to know that the oscar is good. I just forgot about the outside because is not that important. With my budget is more important the inside quality and most of the people say good things about it.
I think I will go for the oscar, so now is time to find a grinder hahaha
bmfinc

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 1:34pm

What about Bezzera BZ02S?  I think it is a HX for around the same price.  I am also considering entry level HX units, not easy!
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 8, 2014, 2:09pm

I have always liked the BZ, the OP is in another country and it may not be available to him, then again, it just may not have come up in his searches.

Just be ready to put about $500 into the budget for a quality espresso grinder or the money you spend on the machine is wasted with poor quality grounds.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nearly there! Is...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.322462797165)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+