Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Getting good micro foam from Jura E80?
Home Espresso Machines
Watch videos with Gail & Kat, Rocket, Jura Capresso, Saeco, Rancilio, Quick Mill, Nespresso
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Getting good...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
dmacbride

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Jura E80
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 11:09am
Subject: Getting good micro foam from Jura E80?

Hi Folks,

I've lurked on and off for years but just joined up to see if someone can offer advice on getting good foam from my new machine.  In the past I've had a Gaggia Coffee, and Delonghi Perfecta, and a Gaggia Brera... and on all of those machines I found a way to get good microfoam from the steam wand.  I just replaced the Brera with an E80 and cannot for the life of me get even decent foam: the milk heats up way too fast and bubbles like crazy.

On the other machines I found that I get best foam by letter only the tip of the steam nozzle into the milk - I get the smallest bubbles that way, controlled heating, and lots of spin.  I've experimented with depth, angle, placement of the nozzle on the Jura E80 and had no luck - the milk heats up too fast and I just get big bubbles.  FYI that I don't have one of the auto frother or auto cappuccino add-ons, just the steam nozzle

Is it possible to get good foam with the steam on the Jura?  Has it been done?  Any tips?

Thanks all!
David
 View Profile Link to this post
SStones
SStones
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Giga 5, ECM Giotto, Rocket...
Grinder: Anfim Milano-Best
Vac Pot: No  :(
Drip: Some $30 thing from Walmart
Roaster: I buy pre-roasted.
Posted Thu Jan 9, 2014, 8:05pm
Subject: Re: Getting good micro foam from Jura E80?

There are many shops in Toronto that sell Jura and a Jura service center in Mississauga.  The E80 has interchangable frother attachments, a couple of which are dexcribed as an easy microfoam frother and a professional microfoam frother. My google search is getting me a lot of german from .nl sites like this but if you call one of the Ontario Jura dealers they might know more than I about it.
I use a Jura Giga at work, but it doesn't seem to have a removable/interchangable frother like your E80 does.  You'll want to talk to the people at Jura (They also sell Rocket machines and parts, they're okay) or the guys from IDrinkCoffee who sell Jura, are often on these forums and seem to be knowledgable.  They'll be able to confirm that there is or isn't one that fits an E80.  Visit them and see if it works well enough for your needs and you'll know if you want it before you buy it, it'll probably be more than $100 if that adjustable looking one in the geerman site is 50 euros.
Try it before you buy it. I have seen a lot of bubbly milk called "Microfoam" that just isn't. Everyone has their own opinion of how stiff it should be before it qualifies. I'm not sure I'd believe in microfoam from any single-boiler super-automatic... But I'd be happy to have it proven to me.
John Henry may have beaten a steam shovel but today's tunnel boring machines would make him wet himself. Someday a superauto might make a perfect cappuccino.
dmacbride

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Jura E80
Posted Fri Jan 10, 2014, 8:11am
Subject: Re: Getting good micro foam from Jura E80?

Thanks for the reply.  On all my previous machines I haven't needed a separate frothing device to get good foam - the steam wand by itself did a great job - so I'm hoping for the same with the E80.  I guess that's what I'm hoping someone in the community can clarify:  can I expect to get good microfoam on the E80 using just the provided steam wand?  I continue to fail so far :)

The guys at the shop I bought it from seem to know their business - I'm hoping to "knowledge up" from the community before calling them for help.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Getting good...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.297784090042)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+