Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
New member Silvia question
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New member...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
GaGeek

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Rancillio Silvia
Grinder: Rancillio Rocky
Vac Pot: Technivorm Moccamaster...
Roaster: Hearthware iRoast2
Posted Sat Jan 11, 2014, 6:38pm
Subject: New member Silvia question

Although a new member here I've had the v2 Silvia / Rocky combo since summer of 06. Used it quite often when we 1st purchased, but it ended going into retirement a couple of years later.

Just before thanksgiving I brought it out of retirement, cleaned it up, new screen and gasket, also descaled. Am trying to get shots dialed in. To help in this endeavor I purchased a naked portafilter. It seems that whenever I use the naked portafilter I get spraying against the back and grounds on the top rear of the portafilter opposite the handle, this does not happen when I use the port with the double beak. Is this a problem with the grind or tamp, or maybe the fit is not as snug as the original portafilter.

In a effort to get more consistent pulls and tired of temp surfing added a pid w/pre infusion Friday. Shots are a little sour, brew temp on the unit was set to 221 , could this be a temp issue or a grind issue. Coffee was roasted on the 1st and probably to a city - city+ roast.

Any help or advice greatly appreciated.
 View Profile Link to this post
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sat Jan 11, 2014, 7:56pm
Subject: Re: New member Silvia question

It is likely that you always had the spraying. The bottomless is just revealing it.
Among notable causes of this:
- To much coffee causing disruption to the puck when locking in.
- Too coarse of a grind
- Worn burrs
- Poor distribution before tamping
- Uneven tamping (not level)
** and the number one answer... Our survey says...
- Stale coffee

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
marosmith
marosmith

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia V2
Grinder: NS MCF, Baratza Encore
Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 12:13pm

frcn Said:

It is likely that you always had the spraying. The bottomless is just revealing it.
Among notable causes of this:
- To much coffee causing disruption to the puck when locking in.
- Too coarse of a grind
- Worn burrs
- Poor distribution before tamping
- Uneven tamping (not level)
** and the number one answer... Our survey says...
- Stale coffee

Posted January 11, 2014 link

Assuming good coffee I would say its a combination of course grind and/or nit tamping hard enough.

For my silvia I start as fine as I can go where I choke the machine, then I adjust tamp/ grind until I get a nice, slow, 30 second + shot.

I'm no pro or anything but I can get pretty good shots from my non-PID silvia doing this.

Make sure your dosing is the same every time.
GaGeek

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 5:21pm

Marosmith, frcn thank you

Much better pulls today, went with a finer grind, and changed my dosing and tamp. I was dosing and then giving the portafilter a tap to the bottom on the counter, dose a little more, tap, dose level off with a straight edge and then tamp and polish. was getting a result where the puck was level but where at least half the tamps body was above the filters surface, top of puck probably 1/8th from the top. Changed to eliminate the tap to the bottom and when tamped the top of the tamp even with the top of the portafilter, top of puck about 1/4" from the top. Did not have any squirting or residue on the top edge of the portafilter.

Also lowered the set temp on the PID from 221 to 218. Didn't get any of sourness that I had yesterday, but still not where I want it. With a 2oz 25 sec pull it started blonding about the 22-23 sec mark. Will experiment a little more with the grind and tamp. For a double basket what is the correct dosing amount?

I'm going to assume the coffee was not my culprit as it was actually roasted back on the 6th of Jan and not the 1st, I had missread the roast date on the label.

frcn...love your website, consulted it quite often when I started my journey backk in 06. I'll have to revisit it.
frcn
frcn
Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Vibiemme Domobar Double
Grinder: Mazzer Kony, Baratza...
Vac Pot: Hario, 2 Cory pots, 1 Cory...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Bunn A10 mod...
Roaster: computer controlled Hottop,...
Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 5:46pm

On my website www.EspressoMyEspresso.com, check out this article: 12 - EASY GUIDE TO BETTER ESPRESSO AT HOME
That should keep you busy for around a year or two, but you could round up to the nearest decade.

Visit My Website
www.EspressoMyEspresso.com
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
marosmith
marosmith

Espresso: NS Oscar, Silvia V2
Grinder: NS MCF, Baratza Encore
Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 6:28pm

GaGeek Said:

Marosmith, frcn thank you

Much better pulls today, went with a finer grind, and changed my dosing and tamp. I was dosing and then giving the portafilter a tap to the bottom on the counter, dose a little more, tap, dose level off with a straight edge and then tamp and polish. was getting a result where the puck was level but where at least half the tamps body was above the filters surface, top of puck probably 1/8th from the top. Changed to eliminate the tap to the bottom and when tamped the top of the tamp even with the top of the portafilter, top of puck about 1/4" from the top. Did not have any squirting or residue on the top edge of the portafilter.

Also lowered the set temp on the PID from 221 to 218. Didn't get any of sourness that I had yesterday, but still not where I want it. With a 2oz 25 sec pull it started blonding about the 22-23 sec mark. Will experiment a little more with the grind and tamp. For a double basket what is the correct dosing amount?

I'm going to assume the coffee was not my culprit as it was actually roasted back on the 6th of Jan and not the 1st, I had missread the roast date on the label.

frcn...love your website, consulted it quite often when I started my journey backk in 06. I'll have to revisit it.

Posted January 12, 2014 link

I could be wrong but I think brew temp should be more around 200.
GaGeek

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 7:11pm

Marosmith...the temp of 218 set on the PID is at the boiler, but the brew temp should be from what I've read about 20 deg less putting the brew temp at about 198.
GaGeek

Posted Sun Jan 12, 2014, 7:14pm

Thanks ..So many variables, hopefully will not take the next decade to get dialed in.
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > New member...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Espresso Machines
Video reviews, nationwide installation, leasing options... Nuova Simonelli, Rancilio, La Marzocco.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.351214885712)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+