Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Briel Senior Machine not working please help
Quick Mill Andreja
Best bang for the buck in E-61 Espresso Machines.  In stock, free shipping, 2 yr warranty!
cupandbrew.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Briel Senior...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
habibi

Expertise: I like coffee

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 2:31am
Subject: Briel Senior Machine not working please help

Good Morning from Johannesburg South Africa

I am no Barrister and no coffee pro but i do enjoy a goooood cuppa coffee. I own a Nespresso at home because my wife also like espresso but did not want to deal with the regime of making espresso from scratch. besides the Nespresso my Uncle gave me a Briel Senior which had been standing for a few years I think but I assumed it was still okay I have now set this machine up in my office.

I have done the external clean and have now tried to make a coffee.... no luck I have watched the demos on line to get a better understanding on if I am doing it wrong but it seems I am not doing much different to the online tutorials. I am not sure if the machine is still working correctly as I have never owned a espresso machine.

if I turn the power on I can hear the boiler begin its thing but thee is a little water that leaks from the shower head outlet. if I connect the porta filter to the machine with ground coffee and run the water I get about 2-3 seconds of the rich brown liquid then it clears to a almost transparent water. if i try disconnect the coffee cup from the machine there is still water back pressure and i have to allow this to subside before I can fully remove the porta filter to dispose the coffee grounds.

Is there something I am doing wrong or is there something wrong with the machine.

Details
I use about 9-10g coffee in the espresso cup
I only connect the coffee cup when the wait light is no longer illuminated.
first cup of coffee I drew water for about 20 seconds and had black tea colour (red and transparent)

Please help I would like to get this machine to work for me as I have it at work now and no longer want to be drinking instant coffee...
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 6:42am
Subject: Re: Briel Senior Machine not working please help

Welcome.

The first thing that comes to mind is what kind of grinder do you have and are your beans less than two weeks old FROM THE DAY THEY WERE ROASTED ?

It sounds like your machine does not have a 3 way valve so back pressure and the need to wait for the pressure to bleed off is normal, for that machine.

A machine needs about half an hour to warm up, regardless of the "ready light" you need to warm all the metal parts as well as the water.

Are you making doubles or single shots? The starting point is 7 g of coffee for a single shot (one FL oz or less) and 14 g for a double shot (one and a half to two FL oz) Most here and in the U.S. use more, my dose is 18g for a double shot which is 2 FL oz including Crema.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to get espresso unless you have a grinder that is able to grind for espresso, (very VERY few non espresso specific grinders can do it. Think about $100 US for a hand powered grinder and  $350 and up for a grinder with a motor.)

FRESH beans are mandatory for espresso, nothing from a can or bag in nearly any supermarket or even most "coffee shops" is fresh, as above, fresh is less than TWO WEEKS FROM THE DAY THEY WERE ROASTED. Any more and the flavor drops very fast. Nothing pre ground will work, the grind needs to be adjusted for your particular machine and the age of the beans, this means that the grind is a moving target, there is no way that anything pre ground will work.

A possible exception to this is if you are using a Pressurized Portafilter. This device is on lower quality and starting grade machines to allow the user to get something that resembles but is not really espresso. The device in the Portafilter causes a back resistance, not the coffee in the basket, thus improperly ground or stale grounds will give you something, ........of low quality to drink.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
habibi

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 7:43am

Thanks for the reply

My beans are not beans at all I have in the bag pre ground that I have been using.

I do however have beans with me which are still in a sealed bag and are about a month old maybe a little older, the grinder I have came with the machine I will take a photo of the machine with grinder...
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:20am

Like I said, pre ground coffee will NOT work, most likely that is a huge part of your problem.

When looking for beans, you need to look at the ROAST date, if there is a BEST BY or USE BEFORE date, do not buy them. Only with a ROAST date can you tell the age. The BEST BY dates can be as much as a YEAR AND A HALF from the roast date, only the people who put them in the bag know how long they go into the future with their dates.

The ones you have at a month, if that is from THE DAY THEY WERE ROASTED, are seriously aged and most likely will not work well, as they age, you need to grind finer and finer to make up for them drying out. 2 WEEKS is about it for peak flavor, after that they loose quality quickly.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

habibi

Posted Tue Jan 14, 2014, 11:16pm

From what you have stated here these beans are good for filter now basically right... can I none the less try them at a very fine ground just to see if I can get the right coclour out of them at least or does all of this change the older the beans are.

What the hell I am going to give it a bash worst that happens is i throw the coffee out.

Will keep up posting on whats happening

habibi: 2014-01-14 16.46.45.jpg
(Click for larger image)
habibi

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 12:13am

Just tried with the beans I have ground at 15 and then again at 0 to see which is the finest and which is the roughest. I then had a look at the shower flow with the group off. there is water dropping from all round but a heavy stream directly in the centre could this cause channeling so not all the coffee in exposed to the boiling water.

I then attempted again with the finest grindings it id give a better colour for the first about 1-3 seconds then went clear I did a draw of about 10-15 seconds which looked much better than previously had a very minute amount of Crema and basically tasted like filter coffee. do you think I still might require some new beans or should these beans at least have given a better result than this.

PS I am going to a mates house this Friday who does make coffee for him to show me but I am an impatient person and have to try for my self first.

"Edit" every few hours I try to do a new cup, I think I am now getting closer to what looks and tastes like an espresso. I have ground the beans at the finest loaded the group with the grounds and packed lightly the machine has also been on for about 2 hours since the last batch, this time I had a much better colour for longer still not as long as I assume it should be but was much better. it has produced a sort of Crema but nothing worth photographing yet looks better and tastes better than before. the Puck is now all soggy with more than one place where it is clearly visible that there was pressure on it.

I will make use of these beans I have to practice the qty or coffee how hard to pack it and how long to leave the water running.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 6:45am

I will often move older beans to other brew methods so if they are still acceptable to you in, say, drip coffee, by all means, use them.  It is just that Espresso is really fussy about the beans.

Your water should not be boiling, it should be 195 to 205 F, much more than that and you will be scorching the beans.

A machine that does not have a 3 way valve WILL have soggy pucks, there is no way around it, it is the nature of the beast.

It is good to hear that you are making progress. We see your story all the time, new people come here and can not fathom why they are having so much trouble. When we get on them about the beans, universally, they are old and stale or old stale and pre ground! Nothing will cause you more trouble than stale beans. People want to look to equipment problems and if the grinder is not able to grind for espresso, there is a big issue there but they don't understand about the beans until they buy fresh ones and then their eyes are opened and they understand.

Tamping is the least important part of the process. First is quality beans and an able grinder, then it is practice on the users part, then the machine then the tamping. As long as the tamp is consistent, you are OK, the exact pressure is not important, the whole reason for the tamp is just to remove air spaces in the puck to present an even resistance to water flow to discourage channeling of the water.

You are going to want to upgrade to a better grinder, sooner rather than later. The built in grinders are just barely able to do the job and even then you will have problems with them, the most common issue is that the steps are too big, leading to lack of adjustment. Grinders that do not have steps are best but they cost more to make it seems (or else why would the steps be so common on lower end grinders? )

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.

view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Briel Senior...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Saeco Espresso Machines
Large selection in-stock, includes Free Gifts and Free Shipping!
www.espressozone.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.310883998871)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+