Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Please comment on my future setup!
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please comment...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
Mingdanger

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 1:26pm
Subject: Please comment on my future setup!

Hello All,
I am a newbie just joined the forum.
I have been doing research on getting my first setup. I read all the wall of posts and the grinder buying guide on coffeegeek.
I do understand that the quality and choices are based on personal opinion, but i have narrowed down my selection to just a few.
Please do comment on it and let me know!!! Greatly appreciate it!
I will be using the setup for home only.

grinder:
Rocky/Vario/Mazzer Mini

Machine:
Gaggia classic/silvia/infuser

I am a big fan of solid metal material build machine. and I won't be brewing a LOT of coffe on a daily basis. perhaps 2-3 shots onces i get the hang of it.

my budge limit is about 1000?

i am also open to suggestions on others, but i want something that i dont have to upgrade unless it breaks, so resale value is.....useless to me.

THANKS!!!!
 View Profile Link to this post
Burner0000

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Rancilio Silvia, VFA Expres...
Grinder: Macap MX/VFA N1464/Kyocera...
Drip: Manual Drip, French Press
Roaster: Behmor 1600 / Sonofresco
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 2:07pm
Subject: Re: Please comment on my future setup!

Out of the options you mentioned forget the Rocky grinder and the Infuser.. Breville machines need to be services by a tech regularly and if you can't find one your screwed. There build quality is nice but it's not made to last.  The Classic is built better and according to info I have seen and read on it will last you a long time but the Silvia is built better all around.  In terms of boiler size and materials the Silvia beats Both.  The Silvia's internals are brass and copper built. All but the boiler you would find in a commercial machine.  Plus it has the traditional multi directional steam wand which the Classic does not.  As for the grinder obviously the Mazzer is the best choice.  I've heard tons that the Vario is more than capable for great espresso but there's a chance you may have problems with it down the road.  (Vario owners please chime in).  The rocky isn't a good choice because the amount of steps needed for espresso are very limited.  Stepless is best which the Mazzer has.

My recommendation is..

For espresso go with the Silvia
Grinder.. Go with the Mazzer.  If your funds are too limited go with the Vario then.   Both machines you can find used too.

Others may tell you to go with the Crossland CC1 over the Silvia in terms of value but in build quality and longevity the Silvia will beat it.
 View Profile Contact via MSN Messenger Link to this post
takeshi
takeshi
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Alex Duetto 3.0
Grinder: Super Jolly
Roaster: Amaya Roasting
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 2:41pm

Mingdanger Said:

grinder:
Rocky/Vario/Mazzer Mini

Posted January 15, 2014 link

As all recent threads indicate, ditch the Rocky.  It does not belong in the list with those other grinders.

Mingdanger Said:

I am a big fan of solid metal material build machine.

If that trumps all else then Silvia and Mini.  However, you might want to consider more than just that one preference.

Burner0000 Said:

Others may tell you to go with the Crossland CC1 over the Silvia in terms of value but in build quality and longevity the Silvia will beat it.

I'd add ease of use and if you make milk drinks you'll appreciate the thermoblock on the CC1.  OP really needs to clarify intended usage.

As for the long term, we don't have a track record established for the CC1 so no one can conclusively state anything one way or the other.

Mingdanger Said:

i am also open to suggestions on others, but i want something that i dont have to upgrade unless it breaks

I wouldn't count on that unless you abandon espresso at some point.  Additionally these are entry machines.  While some could be indefinitely happy with one, single boilers just aren't an ideal espresso long term goal for many.  My Silvia was a great machine for the 12 years I had it.  The new machine just offers much better consistency and ease of use.  I'm certainly not the only one to make such a comment after upgrading from the Silvia.  If you make milk drinks you'll probably want an HX or DB down the road.

As always, get the best grinder you can buy.  Of the 3 you listed the Vario (consider that its performance is often compared to the Super Jolly).  Then work on the selecting the machine that fits your budget.
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 2:43pm

While I agree to pass on the Rocky, and that the Mazzer will likely outlast you, I don't think you've provided enough information to answer your machine question.

I highly recommend reading the sticky and answering the "standard questions", in order for people here to give you a better response based on your needs and wants.

As far as not ever having to upgrade...well, who's to say, you won't ever want to improve the quality of your espresso based drinks? The machines you're looking at are entry level - like buying the cheapest car available on the market. I'm not saying you should focus on resale value, but there is a distinct possibility you will want to move on to better gear in the future. Resale value tends to mirror machine longevity.  I.e., something made to last decades is also likely to have good resale value. The differences between high quality espresso gear and entry level gear go far beyond longevity and resale value. There are drastic jumps in ability to produce high quality beverages consistently. I'm not trying to talk you into buying more than you need, want or can afford, but rather, trying merely to open your eyes to the reasoning why you may, perhaps in the future, want to have better gear than the entry level stuff you're looking at now.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
Mingdanger

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 3:02pm

Thanks!
I was hoping to get a nice grinder and a mediocre machine, because i feel that if i can have the grind consistent, i can further work on the brewer a little more....

I have a tendency towards gaggia because of the price, but i am not so sure though.
Mingdanger

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 3:03pm

Passing the Rocky it is!
Mingdanger

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 3:05pm

I am seriously considering Vario, but the plastic material really is bugging me..... I love some solid metal!
I heard Mazzer Mini will have coffee left in it....sorry for not using fancy and professional words........so...wasting coffee?
I may just have about 2-4 shots per day and thats about it, so could Mazzer Mini be a little overkill for regular home use?
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 4:14pm

Using both a Mini and Vario, Vario hands down. Friend had both and quickly sold the Mini. Vario was just plain better for taste in cup, grind quality, and little retention like all Baratzas. Hate to say it but the Mini is kinda the bastard child in those class of grinders, if you want that metal like build your far better off finding a used Super Jolley for cheaper. I'd look at the CC1 as well, for barely more than a Silvia your getting a much better and easier performing machine whether straight shots or milk drinks. Even the boiler is like 5-6oz larger, that's massive for this class.

I'd take a Classic over a Silvia though, still have the same quirks like temp surfing etc. But it's priced right vs way overpriced Silvia, and you can mod it cheap too like swapping the Silvia steam arm etc

SCG was just running a special for a CC1 and Vario packaged deal for less than 1k, after their sales price and there was another discount for signing up. Even at normal price that combo is a performance bargain.

Avoid Rocky like the plague lol
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 5:57pm

The SBDU design is obsolete and unacceptable.  There are much better alternatives for similar or slightly more money.  Do yourself a HUGE favor.  Forget about non-PID SBDUs if you care about coffee.  A +5/-5 temperature range can't balance bitters and sours.  And forget about any SBDU if you plan to make milk drinks regularly, or if you ever plan to entertain.

SCG still has the CC1 + Vario combo for $999.  That's about $150 off regular price, cheaper than a PID Silvia with the same grinder.  But the CC1 is a lot of plastic.  

If you want adequate (not great, not good, adequate) performance in a metal box, the cheapest choice is the QM Silvano, $1000.  

While there are a couple of entry-level HXs, the next solid step up above the Silvano in a metal box are the mid-priced, E-61 prosumer HXs -- there are a lot of them, from manufacturers like Bezerra, Expo-Bar, Izzo, Qucik Mill, etc.  They run around $1500.  

Vario or Mini?  There are arguments in favor and against each.  The Mini is much better built, the Vario is a slightly better performer, quite a bit more convenient to use, and plenty o'plastic.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 7:02pm

CC1 is all metal except for the drip tray base and I think PID housing, water tank is plastic like all others though. SCG was doing another 10% off if you sign up (think for all deals), think they emailed you the code to use. That combo deal is great performance value, you'd have to go waaay up in price for a better machine and grinder.

Mingdanger have you thought of used? That opens up a whole new world of options, can score some insane deals on top notch gear. I mean if your dead set on an all metal grinder for example, look for a used Super Jolley, much better grind quality than the Mini and can be scored for quite less money.
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Please comment...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.463350057602)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+