Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
power converter question
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > power converter...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
mikeyozell

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 2:15pm
Subject: power converter question

long story short, I was just given a European model (220-240v at 60hz according to the plate on the bottom) Rocket Espresso Giotto to test drive. It seems the easiest way to use it here in the states is to purchase a step up/step down converter. Anyone have experience with these converters? Second question is; what wattage converter to buy.

Thanks,
Mike
 View Profile Link to this post
dwRK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 5:25pm
Subject: Re: power converter question

You may already have 220v at home...check your oven or dryer supply...also some homes you can wire out for 220. I've not tried so can't give definite direction.

I have a step up transformer to run a kitchen mixer...I'd add 50% more wattage over the spec...then check price..if say 2000w is $10 more than 1500w I'd get bigger.
mikeyozell

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 5:28pm

Thanks,

Yes, I'm trying to avoid the need to run a dedicated line to my kitchen as I only have the machine for a few months. Being in the building trades I can do the work, but.........

So researching to see if a 2000w converter would be the ticket. That also negates the need to change out the Euro style cord on the machine.

Mike
dwRK

Expertise: Just starting

Posted Wed Jan 15, 2014, 6:41pm

no prob...

can you report back how it goes...will help me a lot as i'm going to 220v country end of the year...looking to get a new machine and take it over. thanks.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Thu Jan 16, 2014, 7:02am

There is no free lunch. Yes you can use a step up/down transformer but at the expense of pulling more current on the 120v line, possibly more current than a 20 amp line can provide.
220v machines tend to have higher wattage heaters, because at 220v, it will draw less current and home circuits can handle them with no problem at 220v.

I am using a transformer on a generator. The generator is only 13 amp on 120 and my needs are in the 20 amp range. The generator has a 220v output at 26 amps (as it is both of the 120 v circuits combined) I am using the transformer to step the 220 down to 120 and I can pull all the current I need. It was a way to make an inexpensive generator do the work of a more expensive generator. As I paid $150 for it brand new when the price is over $400 retail, it was returned by the prior owner for the exact reason I am using the transformer, it did not do the job on 120 v that he need it to do.

There is a wide range of quality in transformers too. I am using a 5KW commercial quality transformer on a 3.5 KW generator. I bought the transformer used for $150, list on it is $1200. It is designed to run full rated load 24/7 lower cost transformers are not so rated. In my case, with careful shopping I was able to get what I need at a good price, less than buying a generator large enough to do what I wanted without the transformer.

If this is only a temp situation, you might consider using a 220 v extension cord if you don't want to run the circuit to the kitchen though running the line is not hard and most cities allow you to do the work yourself if you pull a permit and have the work inspected. It is easy to do but only should be attempted if you understand what you are doing and have the work checked after it has been finished (or whatever stages the inspection department require).

The wattage on the name plate should tell you what you need to buy, if the machine is 2860 watts, (13 amp at 220v) you will not be able to run it on even a 20 amp dedicated 120 line as they are only good for 2400 watts (20 amps 120 v)  And that is pushing  the line to the max.

You say you  are in the trades, use your contacts to help you, as I said, perhaps an extension cord from an unused dryer plug. They are normally rated 30 amp 220 that is more than enough to do the job.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > power converter...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.281470060349)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+