Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
if producing multiple drinks isn't a factor, would you opt for a cc1 or oscar?
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > if producing...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
ericcomposer72

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Oscar, Silvia, Breville...
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 2:15pm
Subject: if producing multiple drinks isn't a factor, would you opt for a cc1 or oscar?

Just on quality of shots, consistency, ability to adapt to different beans/roasts, milk steaming ability, etc...

Also, I have gotten this impression that owning an oscar is like owning a car that is best owned by a mechanic... is this true at all? I am not very savvy technically/mechanically, but I am willing to figure things out and attempt to do them myself (simple repairs, not serious mods)

Thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith
Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 3:21pm
Subject: Re: if producing multiple drinks isn't a factor, would you opt for a cc1 or o

They are two different things.

Oscar is no more finicky than any other machine. It is an entry level HX espresso machine. CC1 is a hybred.

CC1 at heart is a PID controlled SBDU that has a thermoblock for steaming rather than changing the temp of the single boiler. Yes there are other doo dads but at the heart of it.....

Oscar is a HX, a much larger boiler that is maintained at steaming temp. The HX, think of it as a tube that runs through the boiler, the water in the boiler warms the water in the tube to brew.

They are two completely different things.

Oscar you can pull your shots and steam at the same time. CC1 you can do one after the other but not at the same time.

Oscar is much quicker to respond to your desired change in brew temp, this comes at the cost of you needing to learn the machine more than a passing interest. CC1 uses a PID to control temp, this comes at the cost of much slower change in temp, the machine needs to adjust at the next temp, not just the water.

There are members who have heavily modded their Oscar here and others have done nothing at all. The Oscar I had worked just fine for me after I learned what I needed to do while for BDL, his Para and seceratary could not get the hang of it.

Hellen has modded the heck out of hers and is quite happy. Others have modded their machines too of different designs. All types of machines have been modded and all types have been stock too, it just depends on what you want to do.

For ME, personally, I would take the HX any day. I feel it is a stronger built machine and is suitable for light commercial use. The boiler is much bigger too which adds to the machines stability.

The case of the Oscar is plastic but it sits on a solid steel frame. Some do not like the looks and others do not care about it. This is a personal choice.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 9:46pm
Subject: Re: if producing multiple drinks isn't a factor, would you opt for a cc1 or o

The CC1 is a high-featured, user friendly machine.  Brew temp is PID controlled, the group head is electronically stabilized, it pre-infuses, has a shot timer, etc.  On the other hand, it's a slow, low-powered steamer.  You can still get the CC1 + Vario package for $1000 from SCG.  That's about 20% off an already very high value pair.  In short, a bargain.  

An unmodified Oscar is an HX, a very good steamer and built to last decades.  It lacks an OPV valve, a vacuum breaker, and most other modern features.  It has a tendency to deliver overheated water which makes it difficult to dial in, to pull consistently temped shots, and it has a tendency to overheat the brew water in the middle of a slow shot.  I understand that with a few bucks and a few hours in mods, the Oscar is a much improved machine.  

I've been using HX machines for more than two decades, and would choose a good HX over just any other design.  However, not all HXs are equal, and I would not recommend an unmodified Oscar to someone who didn't already have a very good idea of how to dial in and temp consistently.  

Unless you do a lot of steaming and already have a good grinder, go for the CC1 + Vario.

Another hybrid, the QM Silvano, a better steamer than the CC1 but without as many features, is also a better choice for most people than the similarly priced Oscar.

GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER

The CC1 looks pretty good by itself, but looks a lot better with the Vario.  Don't forget that the grinder is a bigger part of what goes in the cup than all but the most incompetent machines.

BDL
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie
Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:01pm
Subject: would you opt for a cc1 or oscar?

The Oscar was not that hard to learn to use I used it stock for over a year and it was the first time I ever made espresso.  It did not take me long to figure it out and make damn fine espresso. However, for the price of a new one I probably would get something else- because it should have at least two of the mods I did to my on the stock from the factory, imho.  Used it is a bargain at less than $500.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
ericcomposer72

Espresso: Oscar, Silvia, Breville...
Grinder: Vario
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:08pm
Subject: Re: if producing multiple drinks isn't a factor, would you opt for a cc1 or...

Thanks for the tips...

I've got a Vario & a Silvia at the moment...

I'm leaning towards the Oscar. All of the bells & whistles of the CC1 attracted me at first, but when it comes down to it, I'm pretty comfortable dialing in the Silvia for many different bean types and have been able to adjust flavor profiles to suit my liking. I have gotten a few absolutely incredible shots (I usually don't make more than 2 a day... 3 if it's a reallllly long day ;) --so consistency from day to day is difficult), but the song & dance required between brewing and steaming on the Silvia has gotten old quickly...

I know the CC1 would be slightly faster going from brew temp to steam temp, due to the thermo-block, and would eliminate temp-surfing... and I could afford a new one...

If I go for an Oscar, I'll probably try to pick up a used one.
boar_d_laze

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:10pm
Subject: Re: would you opt for a cc1 or oscar?

Deleted
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Tue Jan 21, 2014, 10:47pm
Subject: : if producing multiple drinks isn't a factor, would you opt for a cc1 or oscar?

Oscar is only worth it used where you can score nice deals. New, it's kinda just "there" at that price range and def needs mods. If your looking at new may as well pony up some more cash for machines priced above the Oscar. But people have scored really cheap used deals on them, even if they need some work their easy to work on and clean up. Love my CC1 too though, it's very consistent. I pretty much leave it at 201 and 2 second preinfuse and 3 second dwell for most anything. It's not as powerful a steamer as an h/x but damn is it smooth and controllable, just velvety smooth and awesome microfoam.
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 6:46am
Subject: Re: would you opt for a cc1 or oscar?

Coffeenoobie Said:

The Oscar was not that hard to learn to use I used it stock for over a year and it was the first time I ever made espresso.  It did not take me long to figure it out and make damn fine espresso. However, for the price of a new one I probably would get something else- because it should have at least two of the mods I did to my on the stock from the factory, imho.  Used it is a bargain at less than $500.

Posted January 21, 2014 link

A stock Oscar was my first HX and it was easy to learn to make good shots. Everyone is different and has different experiences in their lives. Everyone has things that are harder for them and easier for them, they are not the same from person to person, what is easy for me may be impossible for you and what you can do in your sleep, I may not be even able to understand the name of.  YMMV!

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
jtferraro

Espresso: Starbucks (Saeco) Barista,...
Grinder: Baratza Vario
Vac Pot: Aerobie Aero Press
Drip: Bonavita Thermal
Roaster: none
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 7:22am
Subject: if producing multiple drinks isn't a factor, would you opt for a cc1 or oscar?

CMIN Said:

Oscar is only worth it used where you can score nice deals. New, it's kinda just "there" at that price range and def needs mods. If your looking at new may as well pony up some more cash for machines priced above the Oscar. But people have scored really cheap used deals on them, even if they need some work their easy to work on and clean up. Love my CC1 too though, it's very consistent. I pretty much leave it at 201 and 2 second preinfuse and 3 second dwell for most anything. It's not as powerful a steamer as an h/x but damn is it smooth and controllable, just velvety smooth and awesome microfoam.

Posted January 21, 2014 link

I really want a red Oscar and have long been wondering how the Oscar compares to the La Nuova Era Cuadra.  They used to be nearly the same price, but now the latter cost $300 more.  Either would clearly be an upgrade from my Starbucks (Saeco) Barista...whereas I don't think the CC1 is enough of an upgrade.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

-Jeff
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 1:50pm
Subject: would you opt for a cc1 or oscar?

For 1200 I would look at Bezzera BZ07.  When La Nuova Era Cuadra was lower than Oscar it was a no brainer.  Now, at both their new prices, I think I would want to get to the next price level. The companies have arbitrary set price points that the equipment doesn't justify.  One of the ways to get around it is to search for used machine that was 2k when new.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > if producing...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.370599985123)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+