Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Should espresso machines always "be able" to make 2 espressos with finer coffee?
Donate to Coffee Kids
Coffee Kids works with farming communities around the world, improving lives. Donate today.
www.coffeekids.org

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Should espresso...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
Author Messages
start13948

Expertise: I live coffee

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 5:31am
Subject: Should espresso machines always "be able" to make 2 espressos with finer coffee?

I'm between a rock and a hard place, that's why the strange question :-)

The problem is - I have a machine (Gaggia Classic) which I think is defective (it has ~1.5 years). It stopped making coffee at some point (the water didn't make it through the filter), even after regular cleaning cycles.

The producer (Philips Gaggia) returned it without fixing the problem. So I brought it to a specialized shop. They've asked me 150 bucks to repair it, mentioning that the pump was broken.

So I sent it back to the producer with the shop diagnosis, who again returned it without fixing the problem. After a long phone call, they told me they would've sent me a new filter (for two espressos), to see what would have happened.

It actually worked. It works though, only when I try to make one espresso; when I try to make two, the water doesn't get through. I don't use very fine grinding; I use the supermarket grinder (don't laugh :-)) with level 2 of 5, where 1 is the finest.

So the question is: since I'm between a potential scamming shop and an unhelpful producer, at least I wanted to know if home espresso machines are generally supposed to "make two espressos" even with finely ground coffee (in which case I have a defective machine), or not.

Many thanks!
 View Profile Link to this post
calblacksmith
calblacksmith

Espresso: ECM Vene. A1, La Cimbali M32
Grinder: Azkoyen Capriccio, Major
Vac Pot: 40s era Silex
Drip: Msl. Com. brewers
Roaster: gave it a try, decided no
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 6:54am
Subject: Re: Should espresso machines always "be able" to make 2 espressos with finer

Your problem is the supermarket grinder and stale beans.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to get good espresso without a quality grinder of your own. Any coffee older than TWO WEEKS FROM THE DAY IT WAS ROASTED is too stale for espresso, anything in the supermarket is hopelessly stale. Even quality FRESH coffee, is stale 15 minutes after you grind it.

You do not say which machine you have but I suspect strongly that it has a pressurized portafilter to get ANYTHING that resembles espresso from stale supermarket, poorly ground coffee

Properly ground and dosed, any machine can make one or two shots when the proper coffee basket is used.

In real life, my name is
Wayne P.
Anything I post is personal opinion and is only worth as much as anyone else's personal opinion. YMMV!

Feed the newbs, starve the trolls and above all enjoy what you drink!
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
start13948

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 8:58am
Subject: Re: Should espresso machines always "be able" to make 2 espressos with finer

The model is actually written in the post (Gaggia classic).

Quality is not a concern of mine at this stage - it's about the "mechanics", therefore I'm puzzled if staleness of the coffee can actually prevent the coffee from coming out.

Under the assumption that I don't have a grinder, at this point I'll buy a package of ground coffee for espresso machines, and open it and test immediately. Based on what you wrote, "Properly ground and dosed, any machine can make one or two shots when the proper coffee basket is used", I can assume that if it doesn't work, there's something wrong with the machine.

Thanks!
emradguy
emradguy

Espresso: Duetto II; Twist v2
Grinder: M Major, Macap M4 x2, VDD...
Drip: Espro presses; Aeropress
Roaster: H-B "List of Favorites"
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 9:27am

start13948 Said:

The model is actually written in the post (Gaggia classic).

Quality is not a concern of mine at this stage - it's about the "mechanics", therefore I'm puzzled if staleness of the coffee can actually prevent the coffee from coming out.

Under the assumption that I don't have a grinder, at this point I'll buy a package of ground coffee for espresso machines, and open it and test immediately. Based on what you wrote, "Properly ground and dosed, any machine can make one or two shots when the proper coffee basket is used", I can assume that if it doesn't work, there's something wrong with the machine.

Thanks!

Posted January 22, 2014 link

Without grinding yourself and adjusting grind fineness to flow rate...your "mechanics" cannot be solved. Your best bet, since you don't care about quality, is to use preground coffee packaged in bricks and the pressurized portafilter.  When you start to care what it tastes like, get yourself a decent espresso grinder and fresh beans.

Always remember the most important thing is what ends up in your cup!
JPF

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: Mini Vivaldi, Pre-millenium...
Grinder: Dosered SJ, Resurrected...
Vac Pot: Yama Siphon
Drip: Technivorm
Roaster: Behmor, Poppery I
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 9:52am

I don't think pre-ground super market coffee will choke the machine.  If anything you should be getting gushers.  It does sound like you have a problem.

Living the caffeinated life.
SJM

Expertise: I love coffee

Espresso: SAMA (2), Maximatic, Cremina...
Grinder: K-10PB, Rancilio MD-50
Vac Pot: no like
Drip: no like
Roaster: HotTop   Huky en route
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:00am

"cleaning cycles"??

What exactly have you done for your regular maintenance of the machine?  What have you used to descale? and how often?  What have you used to backflush and how often?  

Your symptoms most probably indicate a blockage somewhere between the pump and the brew group.
CMIN

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:00am
Subject: Should espresso machines always "be able" to make 2 espressos with finer coffee?

I'd agree, supermarket coffee and grinders preground, though awful and impossible to pull anything resembling espresso, wouldn't really choke the machine. You'd get gusher shots.

That said, you should test with a pressure gauge if your opv is working correctly. Could be a number of things, opv out of wack, weak pump not pushing water through especially with stale preground. That said a little confused by what you said, did you mean a double basket for a double shot or used to split into like 1oz shots in two glasses same time? Pressurized basket, or are you using regular baskets?

And yes like above, what have you done to clean? Could be blockage. Have you ever backflushed?
start13948

Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:24am

(Thanks everybody!

So, what I referred with "filter for two espressos" is actually a Pressurized double filter basket (Click Here (www.wholelattelove.com)).

Regarding the cycles, I've cleaned every few months. The first time I've used the specific product (can't remember the brand), then I've started using distilled vinegar (in water), since I've read that as long as it's an acid, it's going to remove the scale. Of course, I'm aware that the taste it leaves last longer than specific products.

I live in an area where water has much much scale.

I've never heard of backflushing. If you think it may solve the problem, I'll certainly try it. I had no idea that I should have done additional operations other than the regular cleaning.
CMIN

Espresso: Crossland CC1
Grinder: Baratza Preciso
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:34am

Descaler is run through the tank water (I use Dezcal). But you should have a blank disc (basket) for your portafilter that came with your machine, you lock in like you normally would and turn on and then off after like 7-10 seconds to backflush. I uses Cafiza like this once a month. And then every day or two after use I use it with no Cafiza and just do a blank backflush quickly. You may have crud built up from never backflushing.

Pressurized baskets are for preground coffee. Though it's rare, the 1st machine I started with had them too, and they can get chocked out or if the pressure clip isn't working correctly. Since you don't have a grinder, only thing you can do is grind coarser at the store and test. But I would get a pressure gauge to measure your OPV and make sure it's working right too.

You have a great starter machine that can be used with normal baskets (should of come with them?), if you can get a good grinder and beans you'll be set.
D4F

Espresso: Gaggia Classic PID
Grinder: Baratza Forte-AP
Posted Wed Jan 22, 2014, 10:38am
Subject: Re: ULKA pump, machine, or coffee problem?

Paul, welcome to CG.  

Here is a handy diagram that can help with parts and names.  In the US we get 3 baskets with the machine, a single and a double each with only a single hole on the bottom outside, and a regular double basket with multiple holes on the bottom.  The single hole bottom baskets are "perfect crema" baskets to be used with a device in the portafilter hole.

Click Here (www.partsguru.com)

Which baskets are you trying?

When have you last removed 24 and 25 and cleaned and backflushed the machine?

Have you descaled, and if so, when last?

Pump versus machine problems, versus coffee and grinder can be difficult to diagnosis. You might look at this thread

http://coffeegeek.com/forums/espresso/machinemods/656355

Try looking at that thread and measure the flows from the wand and group and post that with the questions above.  Try to separate the machine and pump from coffee and grind.

D4F also at
http://www.gaggiausersgroup.com/
showing page 1 of 2 last page next page
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Should espresso...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Rocket R58 Double Boiler
Rocket Espresso R58 Double Boiler -  Everything you need for the perfect shot!
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.33376121521)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+