Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Rancilio S27 weak shots with decent crema
Find the Right Machine...
Package deals on the best machines from Izzo, Quick Mill, Rocket, La Marzocco & more.
www.clivecoffee.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio S27...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
thepilgrimsdream

Expertise: I love coffee

Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 8:55pm
Subject: Rancilio S27 weak shots with decent crema

I bought this as my first espresso machine a few weeks ago. I use a rancilio at work everyday, so I know the rancilio machine pretty well. I don't have a great grinder at work, or even good beans, but I feel like I have found the sweet spot technique wise to produce consistent shots.

My grinder at home is a hario skerton which is slightly less than efficient, but I feel like I've dialed it in we'll enough to produce some fairly decent shots(tested at work). But my machine at home brews weak shots with hardly any water coming thru. I have experimented with different grinds, amounts, tamping technique and I'm pretty sure it's my machine.

The grouphead passes water fine, the steam wand works great. The boiler pressure is 1.7-1.8 out of 2.5

I do notice it might need a new gasket, cause some water leaks down the side of the portafilter while brewing. Could a breach in the gasket seal throw the pressure off?

I plan on getting a scale, thermometer and tools to read the machine more, and I plan on getting it serviced when I can afford to as well as a super jolly grinder.

Any advice? Help?
 View Profile Link to this post
fnacer

Espresso: Salvatore E61, Vivaldi Mini...
Grinder: Mazzer Mini, Gaggia MDF,...
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Thu Jan 23, 2014, 9:13pm
Subject: Re: Rancilio S27 weak shots with decent crema

If the same beans and the same grinder produce espresso of different quality on two different machines, it is reasonable to suspect the machine (we'll assume the issue is not the barista or the environmental conditions around the two machines).

Have you compared the flow and the temperature of the water through the grouphead?
skydragondave

Expertise: Professional

Espresso: Commercial Only
Grinder: Commercial Only
Roaster: Has Garanti HG5
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 4:57am

Boiler pressure should be 1.2/1.3BAR assuming the gauge is not damaged. Does it rest right at zero with the machine off?
Replace the group gasket at once and the shower screen while you are at it. about $10
What is the extraction pressure? With a new group gasket that doesn't leak, remove the portafilter spout and install a gauge to measure it. Should be 8.5-9BAR.
Are you backflushing the group to keep it clean?
What is the grouphead temperature? If a plugged orifice restrictor in the thermosyphon is preventing water from circulating at idle, it could be cold. With your steam pressure that high it could easily be scorching hot. Do you cooling-flush the group before pulling a shot?
Have you looked inside the boiler yet? It could be full of scale. Are you using softened and filtered water or raw untreated tapwater to feed your machine?
You'll have to answer these questions one by one and resolve any problems before you can expect the machine to perform as it should. Good luck
thepilgrimsdream

Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 7:11am

Woah, I accidentally read the 1.3 as 1.8. My bad. The boiler is at 1.2-1.3. It goes slowly back to 0 when I turn it off.

I replaced the shower screen, but not the gasket. I'll order one this weekend

I do need a pressure gauge and a blind filter(I borrow the blind one from my store.)

I have not opened the boiler, but plan on taking it to get serviced next month when I can afford it

I use distilled water
boar_d_laze

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: La Cimbali M21 DT/1 Junior...
Grinder: Ceado E92; "Bunnzilla"
Vac Pot: Royal Coffee Maker
Drip: Chemex + Kone; Espro Press
Roaster: USRC Sample Roaster
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 8:15am

Could be scale, could be a clogged shower head, could be a seal, could be the pump, could be the OPV, could be a lot of things.  Probably not the gasket; if it were, you'd see water leaking around the pf while you were trying to pull a shot.  

For no particular reason, I'm betting "pump."  

If you want to go to the trouble of replacing the gasket yourself even though it's probably not the problem -- go ahead.  They cost about $5, and should be replaced annually anyway.  On the other hand, if it's going to the shop you might as well let them have the joy of removing the (undoubtedly fossilized) gasket.  

Remove the shower head and soak it in an espresso machine specific detergent like Cafiza, First Circle, or Joe Glo, or use TSP.  Use a pin to make sure the holes in the head are completely clear.  

While you're at it, remove the spout from your pf, soak it and the pf in detergent, scour the pf's interior until it gleams, and use some sort of small brush to clean the spout and the pf's hole. Clean tastes better.  

Heat up the machine, put some detergent in your blind basket, and lock it into the group with the shower head out.  Do a few blind flushes -- how's your OPV working?  Remove the pf, brush off the inside of the group to remove any gunk which formed under the shower head, and do the whole thing again.  Do it three or four times.  

Don't operate the machine without either the shower head in or a pf in the group.  Unless, that is, you like wet surprises.  

If by "distilled" you mean "filtered, bottled" water, okay.  If you're actually using distilled water, you shouldn't -- it makes crap espresso.  

BDL
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Rancilio S27...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Commercial Equipment
Nuova Simonelli, La Marzocco, Rancilio. Nationwide installation. Instant financing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.283777952194)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+