Our Valued Sponsor
OpinionsConsumer ReviewsGuides and How TosCoffeeGeek ReviewsResourcesForums
Espresso: Espresso Machines
Nuova Simonelli Elli boiler disassembly
Cafe Solutions
Commercial sales and service, nationwide installation, equipment leasing options.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com

Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered  
Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nuova Simonelli...  
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Author Messages
thebaz

Expertise: I like coffee

Espresso: NS Oscar LaCimbali Domus
Grinder: Rancilio md50
Posted Fri Jan 24, 2014, 8:10pm
Subject: Nuova Simonelli Elli boiler disassembly

I found an Elli in reasonable condition and thought it would make a good "holiday machine". When I plugged the Elli, the boiler would not fill even though the pump was vibrating and it would seem that the element developed a leak to earth after about 30 seconds of being on. The boiler was getting warm but the RCD was tripping until I disconnected the wire to the element. I got the pump working, but decided I would disassemble the boiler and check the element. The bolts seem to be seized to the aluminum rings that hold the boiler together.
Are the bolts threaded to the boiler or are they just corroded to the aluminum? Does anyone have any experience with disassembly of the boiler that can offer any suggestions?
I have an Oscar that I have re-built recently and I am no stranger to tear-down/repairs, but I am not sure if the cost of parts will be justified for the Elli.
All comments welcome.
 View Profile Link to this post
thebaz

Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 1:04am
Subject: Re: Nuova Simonelli Elli boiler disassembly

Just had a go at removing the bolts that hold the two halves of the boiler. The threads were so seized in the aluminum rings that after 24 hrs of soaking in penetrating oil, all bold heads sheared off when trying to work them loose. Looks like I will have to try and drill them out. Not easy when the boiler is copper, the rings are aluminum, and the bolts are high tensile.
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Jan 25, 2014, 3:01pm

There are some people that have rebuilt them here, I would search for threads with advanced google search and contact them directly for help.

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
NSElliIterator

Espresso: NS Ellimatic
Grinder: NS MDXA
Drip: Bodum
Posted Sun Jan 26, 2014, 11:53pm

"Are the bolts threaded to the boiler"  Nope.  Just held in place by nuts.  Jannus and GVDub have done Elli and Ellimatic boiler rebuilds in the past few years although I am still waiting word on Jannus's success.  I had to completely overhaul mine two years ago after I developed a boiler leak.  I got my car mechanic to braze shut the steam leak and it seems to have fixed the problem.  One thing: its not advised to run your heater with insufficient water in the boiler, I learned that the hard way.
thebaz

Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 5:17am

I managed to get the boiler apart, and it was actually very clean inside. A gasket, new bolts and an element will probably restore the Elli to it's former glory.
I am not sure yet if it is worth the expense of a new element as there are design deficiencies in the Elli that would make it hard to justify spending much on it, it just drives me crazy to see it go to waste.
GVDub

Expertise: I live coffee

Espresso: Londinium I, Arrarex...
Grinder: Gaggia MD85, Dienes Mokka,...
Drip: Behmor Brazen, Abid Clever
Roaster: Behmor 1600
Posted Sat Feb 15, 2014, 7:32am

That's under $100 US in parts (Espresso Parts has the element for $63) and the Elli and Ellimatic are both workman machines that can pull very good shots, and are easy to work on. I just splurged on a Londinium I lever for the day to day espresso, but my Ellimatic is staying on as a backup and portable party machine.
thebaz

Posted Sat Feb 22, 2014, 5:17am

GVDub Said:

That's under $100 US in parts (Espresso Parts has the element for $63) and the Elli and Ellimatic are both workman machines that can pull very good shots, and are easy to work on. I just splurged on a Londinium I lever for the day to day espresso, but my Ellimatic is staying on as a backup and portable party machine.

Posted February 15, 2014 link

I agree, but $100 US plus shipping, then the possibility of the 3 way valve or pressurestat  being faulty could make me regret not junking the Elli and buying a used Oscar as my holiday machine.
I have a La Cimbali Domus at the moment and it is adequate, but not up to the Oscar standard, (though not as ugly as the Elli)
I may see if I can get a match for the element here at a reasonable price and complete the job.
thebaz

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014, 9:05pm

Well, The Elli lives again!
After sending the element to a local company for testing, apparently it just had some internal moisture that was causing internal earth leakage. They dried it in some kind of oven and said it was now fine. I had to wait for a boiler gasket, (his last one), to come from my good friend Gianni at Elektros in Italy, who I can't recommend highly enough for Nuova Simonelli parts and advice.
After a thorough cleaning and reassembly, the Elli is now working perfectly again. The Elli did not come with portafilter so I had to modify an old one I had, and that seems to work well. Steam tip is not very user friendly, but you can make passable milk and there is plenty of steam power. shallow drip tray and lack of head room is a pain, but not as deal breaker. These machines for the most part are really solid and should last forever.
The Elli will make a great portable machine for family functions etc.
The Oscar will remain my machine of choice.

thebaz: elli 1 small_resize_resize.jpg
(Click for larger image)
thebaz

Posted Fri Jul 25, 2014, 9:07pm

inside photo

thebaz: elli small_resize_resize.jpg
(Click for larger image)
Coffeenoobie
Coffeenoobie

Espresso: N S Oscar
Grinder: K30 & Vario W
Posted Sat Jul 26, 2014, 7:11am

Grats!

Coffeenoobie

Buying advice: GRINDER GRINDER GRINDER. Don't cheap out on the grinder.

My coffee treasure map...
Click Here (maps.google.com)

Oscar trick out: http://s156.photobucket.com/user/GandBteam/story/14231
 View Profile Visit website Link to this post
view previous topic | view next topic | view all topics
Discussions > Espresso > Machines > Nuova Simonelli...  
New Topics updated topics   New Posts new posts   Unanswered Posts new unanswered     Search Discussion Board search   Discussion Board FAQ faq   Signup sign up  
Not Logged in: Log In to Postlog in
Discussions Quick Jump:
Symbols: New Posts= New Posts since your last visit      No New Posts= No New Posts since last visit     Go to most recent post= Newest post
Forum Rules:
No profanity, illegal acts or personal attacks will be tolerated in these discussion boards.
No commercial posting of any nature will be tolerated; only private sales by private individuals, in the "Buy and Sell" forum.
No SEO style postings will be tolerated. SEO related posts will result in immediate ban from CoffeeGeek.
No cross posting allowed - do not post your topic to more than one forum, nor repost a topic to the same forum.
Who Can Read The Forum? Anyone can read posts in these discussion boards.
Who Can Post New Topics? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post new topics.
Who Can Post Replies? Any registered CoffeeGeek member can post replies.
Can Photos be posted? Anyone can post photos in their new topics or replies.
Who can change or delete posts? Any CoffeeGeek member can edit their own posts. Only moderators can delete posts.
Probationary Period: If you are a new signup for CoffeeGeek, you cannot promote, endorse, criticise or otherwise post an unsolicited endorsement for any company, product or service in your first five postings.
Learn @seattlecoffeegear
Learn all about coffee, watch videos, read how-to articles.
www.seattlecoffeegear.com
Home | Opinions | Consumer Reviews | Guides & How Tos | CoffeeGeek Reviews | Resources | Forums | Contact Us
CoffeeGeek.com, CoffeeGeek, and Coffee Geek, along with all associated content & images are copyright ©2000-2014 by Mark Prince, all rights reserved, unless otherwise indicated. Content, code, and images may not be reused without permission. Usage of this website signifies agreement with our Terms and Conditions. (0.383665084839)
Privacy Policy | Copyright Info | Terms and Conditions | CoffeeGeek Advertisers | RSS | Find us on Google+